Search results

1. N

We need a halfback

Couldn’t agree more mate - composure under pressure, level headed and looks like he can lead a side around the park. He certainly turned my head and made me want him at the dogs
  2. N

Opinion Nick Cotric vs Greatest Canterbury Centers.

100% Tonga in his time with us was poetry in motion. Loved watching him carve up Justin Hodges.
  3. N

Opinion YES or NO...foaluma ?

By second rower (Topine?) and centre (Alamoti?)
  4. N

What players are leaving 1st of November 2020

I'd love to see us sign Cade Cust (would have played under Barrett at Manly) if reports are true and they are angling for a Foran signing. Would love a halves combo of Cust on the left edge with RFM/Waddell and with his left foot punt and Averillo on the right running the right edge with Doorey...
  5. N

Opinion What happened to Bulldogs junior development?

Yea mate plenty are lost and plenty go on to good things. Depending on the position you are scouting there are different variables you look for in a kid. E.g Halves - (unmeasurables - observation) composure under pressure, time on the ball, resilience, (measurable- statistics) passing game, 10m...
  6. N

Opinion What happened to Bulldogs junior development?

I coach a NZ school 1st XV union team here and there are 2-3 kids at every school here that would make great NRL players given time and the right coaching. I can't understand why teams have not done more of it. RTS was a gun school boy union player here.
  7. N

Recruits on Pay's watch

Fullback - Tex Hoy / Tabuai-Fidow 5/8 - Matt Burton Hooker -Harry Grant or Brandon Smith I'd love to make the above guys priority signings with an eye to the future (the fullbacks won't get offered anything near what we can) Burton is 3rd string at Penny now and Grant or Smith will be...
  8. N

Recruits on Pay's watch

I know Deano inherited a whole lot of issues when he took on the role but when you look at the players he recruited from other clubs can you blame the higher powers for doubting his ability to recruit a side to take us back in to the top 8 and beyond? Jack Cogger - Has not become a top grader...
  9. N

Team next week

Holland is rubbish wouldn't have him or Christina "can't read in defence" Chricton anywhere near the side. They have been thieving off the club for the last few seasons
  10. N

News JIMMY BRINGS: All the inside mail on the NRL, delivered by James Hooper

We have to sign a top notch #9 with leg speed through the middle a kid at the warriors who has been injury prone we could nab is Roache, an established outside back (at 22yo and 4 years under his belt) Cotric is our man and we need to sign Bateman as well as re-sign CHN. They will give us some...
  11. N

Our squad and what we have to recruit to be a top 8 team

For me I'd like to see a team similar to this next season. The game has sped up so much and to me you need forwards with leg speed and footwork. Gone is the wrestle type forwards who banged out long minutes like Tolman and James Graham. With the money we have surely we could make this squad...
  12. N

Bad recruiting

Couldn't agree more mate. Would love to see Averillo and Harper given plenty of time this season to see where their best fit is for the future and would love to see Wakeham given the #7 shirt for the season and Lewis, Cogger and Averillo fight for the #6 jersey. That way come 2021 when we have...
  13. N

News A school like no other Jayden Okunbor

Hope he don't start playing a role in selling the rocks as its being alleged manu was in NZ.
  14. N

Players off contact from Top 30 2020

I know its not a bball thread so don't want to fill this up we traded Kawhi (who was developed) for Demar (we would have been dumb not to) yep we brought Aldridge to remain a power in the strong west and not fall away like most other teams do. Yep as you say most teams go and buy in their main...
  15. N

The most successful and consistent NBA side still continue to do it and do it well in the San Antonio Spurs. Get the people in the right places for development and recruitment and back yours staff like they do. I'm not saying they are definitely going to win another championship in a hurry but...
  16. N

I agree with your list, I'd love to see us add a Roy Asotasi/Taumalolo type forward in the middle and the best I see available is Taukeiaho. I don't think a Cogger/Lewis combo will win us a premiership, I know he is not established as a top quality half yet but I think the kid is classy. I'd...
  17. N

No Source Centre and Prop

I'd love to see us add Cotric as a centre and hold off on the prop until 2021. Give RFM a season in the middle to see how he develops then look to sign 1-2 props for 2021. Hopefully Stimson and CHN can lock down our edge spots and Jacko can shift to the middle. Hopefully the club are building a...
  18. N

News Late-season surge convinces Pay he's on the right track

I think what everyone on here is forgetting is yes we had a form improvement at the end of last season but that was with a squad of experienced players who were leaving us. Eastwood, Morris boys etc. We started 2019 not quite knowing who would play where in the halves and on either flank. Flip...
  19. N

Opinion Defensive Improvement

Don't disagree mate. Des loaded up in the forwards so he could keep hitting his targets neglecting the spine and outside backs who put the points on the board for you. He has a better balanced roster and balance 1-13 at manly now and has a side defensively digging in on defence, completing sets...
  20. N

Opinion Defensive Improvement

It's what Des Hasler sides are built on. Its why he has been so successful for so long, his attention to detail in terms of completing 85% of sets and then defence being the backbone of his sides have continually worked across the last 10 years We just lacked the spine to put points on at the...
  21. N

Opinion Difference between us and other sides with young players

Deano and the club have its hands tied until 2021 which has been well publicised. I can live with the short term pain as long as we can see our juniors (flegg side) producing good players and good results, which it looks as if we are. Hopefully come 2021 we have 4-5 of these kids NRL ready 4-5...
  22. N

We are lacking....

We didn't move with the game......when big forwards were required with leg speed and foot work we release Ese'se, Tapau and Finucane, cook (our young guns) and kept plodders like Tolman, Eastwood, lichaa and company.
  23. N

Wakeham??

Not saying this kid will be as successful as JT but a lot of the stuff he does on the park reminds me of him. His competitive instincts and size draw comparisons I just hope he studies what made JT the great player he was and picks parts of his game he needs to keep working hard at. Keep at it...
  24. N

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs: 2019 preview, draw, squad changes, every player.........

Like I have touched on in the past mate...............We (Bulldogs head office) knew his injury history........the front office at the time were desperate for a half of his calibre and paid him that ridiculous money. To sit here and call the bloke trash and say he offers the club no value after...
  25. N

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs: 2019 preview, draw, squad changes, every player.........

So your hate for Foran is based on him turning us down in the past before joining us?? To call someone "Trash and offers no value what so ever to the club" is a bold statement mate. Never mind the fact he is a great influence around our club now? The best part about his ball playing is the...
  26. N

Couldn't agree more mate. We paid for him what we paid (did we overpay?) 100% but Des was desperate to save his job as were the board at that time. (If another company offered you a huge salary.......far more than you think you are worth even you would still take it and jump ship). So we all...
  27. N

So he's carried us to two of our three wins this season and he is still "trash and offers fuck all value to the club"? Have you not heard all the players waxing lyrical about him in the past few weeks? He might be limping and toughing it out week to week, do you think playing injured and putting...
  28. N

So you admit you were wrong when you originally said.........."Bloke is trash and offers fuck all value to the club"..........make your mind up mate you are doing more back flips than DCE
  29. N

Still living in negative nancy land in denial I see! You wrote him off, said he couldn't make an impact on or off the field, he is doing both as I predicted. Yes he's picked up a freak injury so too has our 19yo halfback project Wakeham playing Canterbury Cup as has Napa as has Elliot. 2 of the...
  30. N

C'mon bro come out from hiding under that rock and admit you were wrong! I know it hurts but you can do it!
  31. N

How’s Foran going in helping cogger develop and in terms of his own performance now mate...ready to admit you were wrong????
  32. N

No Source Bevan French to sign with bulldogs

Last mid-season signing I remember was 2014?? of Krisnan Inu who was going woeful for the Warriors and came to us and went gang busters for the rest of the season then went to shit in year following!
  33. N

Chris Smith

Hence my initial post, he is a better player than Elliot in my eyes, should see more minutes.
  34. N

Chris Smith

I didn't see yesterdays game (was at golf) saw result and refused to watch a replay there after. How did Chris Smith go?
  35. N

Canterbury No.7 Lachlan Lewis setting the bar for NRL defence

Have you ever said anything remotely positive on this forum! God you must be tough to live with!
  36. N

Chris Smith

I don't think he misses Munster under his own sticks in defence with scores tied. I noticed the big hit last week also. Every time I see small parts of his game I like what I see.
  37. N

Chris Smith

Is it just me or do others too see the energy and enthusiasm he brings to us? I know coaches don't like to rush young guys into grade and have them play huge minutes early and Deano might just be holding him back a bit, but I think he offers more than Adam Elliot except for maybe leadership...
  38. N

Dean Pay on NRL360 tonight

Good Summary mate. I really like all the noises the club are making. Dean is a good man, he was a classy player on the field and he showed his class last night when they tried baiting him to have a crack at Dib and Hasler and the state they left the clubs salary cap in. He was respectful and...
  39. N

Plenty Of Positives

I don't mind Deano starting Martin in reggies for the seasons start. It tells all the players no matter who you are if you come back over weight or unfit then no matter how important you are to our side you will be in reserve grade. It breeds a high performance culture. I think Deano is finding...
  40. N

Paul Crawley and Paul Kent implore Bulldogs to spend more on their roster

Its not often I agree with Kent but he is correct with his assessment of our backline. We don't have a lot of points in our back 5. If we are going to win games it is going to have to be on the back of our defence and Saturdays start was a poor one. I refuse to blame Foran or Lewis because they...
  41. N

Do we need time to get back to who we were?

I'm with you in that I don't think we can blame Pay too much. I attended the match on Saturday and it was clearly obvious we lack the leg speed and power the Warriors brought to the table. At the back end of the first half considering the flogging we were copping our boys still looked fit and in...
  42. N

Dogs predicted R1 lineup

I hear you mate I guess its just wishful thinking on my part. If Montoya struggled to read in defence on the wing I have grave concerns if we are picking him to play right centre. I hope I'm proven wrong! I love the energy and enthusiasm a C.Smith brings off the bench.
  43. N

Dogs predicted R1 lineup

The team I think Pay will pick to start against the wahine (warriors) in rd 1 1. Hoppa 2. Smith 3. Holland (gk) 4. CHN 5. Crichton 6. Foran 7. Lewis 8. Tolman 9. Lichaa 10. Napa 11. Jackson (c) 12. RFM 13. Elliot 14. JMK (replaces Lichaa) 15. Sue (replaces Elliot in the middle) 16. Fualalo...
  44. N

Bulldogs Salary Cap Position In 2019

New recruit from Wests this season?
  45. N

Bulldogs Salary Cap Position In 2019

who was the #4 in the ISP highlights from the weekend? He looked more than handy as a future centre, granted he is not ready now but I'd rather look within before we go to market.
  46. N

News Rookie Bulldogs flyer Morgan Harper pushing for NRL debut

So you don't agree but you don't have any logic or reasoning??? Great debating skills mate. Give me a proven State of Origin performer who is as safe has houses under the high ball and in defence over a young yet proven kid who has some toe and some ball playing ability to start the season any...
  47. N

News Rookie Bulldogs flyer Morgan Harper pushing for NRL debut

In teams that play block plays, yes you need a quick fullback to exploit the space created by the lead runner but if you read the article about Lachie Lewis and watched us play at the back end of last season we are going away from such structure so we may well see the slower more reliable Hoppa...
  48. N

Monday training session pics

Absolutely love the intensity Sue looks to train with in every picture he looks to be giving his all. I love this from a new signing! Earning his stripes with his team mates through work ethic. Deano is building a good culture and is picking the right players to bring in.......better than...
  49. N

News After three seasons blighted by injury, Kieran Foran is ready for his comeback

Negative nancy is back!!!!! Did Foran flog ya mrs mate???
  50. N

News Jayden Okunbor story mirrors cult figure Jamal Idris but Canterbury Bulldog tyro wants to shape own

Whats happened mate? The most positive you have ever been on here in a long time! Finally get your end away over the weekend?
  51. N

FORAN TO WIN DALLY M & DOGS TOP 4 2019

Probably because you are the most negative supporter on here mate! Go support the eels or knights
  52. N

Official Gallery - Week 2 Pre Season Begins

I can't get over the difference in body shape of Lichaa compared to past seasons. Love the intensity and work ethic of Jesse Sue he always looks like he is working hard giving his all. I know still pictures don't give much away but guys that spend themselves at training are the guys who everyone...
  53. N

I'm sure we will agree to disagree here. I look forward to you eating a bit of humble pie when the season kicks off and our current young crop of halves kick on with their careers
  54. N

I'm not trying to suggest he is, but the proof will be in the pudding this year and years to come. You and I have no control over what the club pay's him, neither did the current board or Deano so why not get behind them all and support them rather than bring him and his impact on our future...
  55. N

You should try and be a bit more positive mate! The guy is here and signed for the club we love, I agree he is on too much money but hell when his body allows him to I bet he goes out and plays his heart out, no one could ever accuse him of not doing that for any side he has been in. You and I...
  56. N

Correct he is being over paid but what we are lacking in on field performance from him I believe our young guys like Wakeham and Cogger will be learning huge lessons from him in terms of game management and learning their craft as a half. Just like Thurston learnt his craft off Shifty Sherwin...
  57. N

I like the dynamic of the squad Deano is putting together especially the pack. In the past Des backed our big poppers to win the territory battle with the ball in hand. Deano has got a squad that will do it without the ball. Love the fact that Napa, Ogden, Jackson, Smith, Elliot all look to get...
  58. N

Napa Consolidated Discussion Thread

Got to agree 100% mate, We may not have the rock stars out wide in 2019 but we will have a pack that works its ar$e off and takes a backwards step to no one. In Sue, Napa, Fualalo, Ogden, RFM and the likes we have some heavy hitters to go with the work rate of Tolman, Jackson and Elliot. I...
  59. N

Napa Consolidated Discussion Thread

One thing I love about this signing is the fact he brings 'intimidation factor' all the good sides have/had it somewhere. They make the opposition detract from their normal game. Manly had it in Steve Matai, All Blacks had it in Jerry Collins in terms of defence, Queensland had it in Inglis in...
  60. N

Should we give Tui kotoa a chance this season

From my experience coaching, younger brothers end up being a little better than their older siblings, they have had to fight and scrap for all they can in the back yard against their older siblings so straight away they develop a mental toughness, resilience and work ethic required to go better...
  61. N

Skill Development - Catch and Pass

Good to see the positivity in the pre-season on here. In reply to Sky-Dog, it was always going to be tough for Deano to come straight in, rattle the cage and change players habits immediately after the majority of the squad had played under Dessie for the last 4 seasons. He has slowly started...
  62. N

Skill Development - Catch and Pass

I come from a Union background and coach at representative level over here, but have always loved and supported the Doggies fanatically from NZ. Must say I'm loving seeing all the catch and pass ball work the boys are doing with the new skills coach in the pre-season. I think we played a really...
  63. N

2019 FG Squad...Thoughts...?

That's good that will open another space in top 30. I believe our depth is good up front and can understand why we did not try and keep the beast.
  64. N

2019 FG Squad...Thoughts...?

I think the club needs to be in the market for another #9 and an outside back. Hopefully we have a little bit in the war chest to attract some quality. I'm guessing our top 30 looks something like this currently hopefully we can let go of one of the ????? and sign (young brailey and katoa) as a...
  65. N

Recruitment Suggestions - Consolidated Thread

And Lichaa and JMK are better options for us???
  66. N

Recruitment Suggestions - Consolidated Thread

I know he is getting towards the back end of his career but he would be a significant upgrade on Lichaa!!!! Came through as a junior at the club and knows the culture. I hope we are at least in the discussion.
  67. N

News Pay on the lookout for more recruits

I personally would like to see Pay recruit two outside backs more than another forward. I believe we have enough first grade tested depth up front now. We will have a pack containing middle forwards Tolman, Klemmer, Sue, Elliot, Ogden, Fualalo, To'omaga and Smith, edge players Jackson, RFM...
  68. N

Sauaso Sue signs with the Bulldogs for the next two years

I watched him closely last night and I liked what I saw. His defence has always been top notch. The best part for me was when there was 3 minutes or so on the clock and the tigers were struggling off their own line Sue carried hard and fast (with his good leg speed) and popped back up with a...
  69. N

News Pay on the lookout for more recruits

He will be a gun and he is better than Waisake was at the same age. (I played union with and against Waisake and coach his brother/s currently in Taranaki). I'm not sure of his current contract situation here but I know the Chiefs have made a big play for him and knowing Waisake and his family I...
  70. N

We have lost 8 games this season by 6 or less points

Totally agree mate. Its about finding quick play of the balls and putting points on off the back of them. Des let our dynamic forwards with a quick play of the ball (Tapau, Finucane) for forwards who statistically look good playing big minutes and get big meters and tackle numbers high. And then...
  71. N

Dumbest roster player release decisions ever, since JT

I know Salary cap would not allow but these guys are all still playing that we could have kept. 01. Barba 02. B Moz 03. J Moz 04. Lafai 05. Rona 06. Mbye/ Reynolds 07. Thurston 08. James Graham 09. Issac Luke / Cook 10. Kasiano 11. Taupau 12. SBW 13. Finucane
  72. N

We have lost 8 games this season by 6 or less points

Love reading the Banter. I think Des and his moneyball tactics were to the detriment of him, the team and the club as a whole. He was a big believer in the stat that reads if you out run your team in running meters you will win the game more often (80%?) than not. He built our team around this...
  73. N

Josh Morris Club Announcement - Off to the Sharks

Very sad to see Josh go as he has been a great servant since signing with us. I try to look at the positives of any signing or loss and I guess it means we have a chance to pick of some of the sharks emerging talent that might be looking for a crack elsewhere until we can produce our own in a...
  74. N

Thief in the night

Guy was ranked #1 prop in the game on Des moneyball metrics no doubt. But the game keeps evolving and Unfortunatley the game has evolved where props who provide a lot of tackles and a lot of hit ups without being dynamic are not as effective. Aidan is at an age where its too late to change his...
  75. N

Canterbury promise to hunt down world’s best young league talent

Totally agree with your sentiments here we need a strong professional leadership group to guide these kids through. Jackson and Klemmer, Morris brothers and Foran to guide them to the promise land. I hope we start season 2019 with; 1. Meany 2. Morris 3. Morris 4. Recruit??? 5. Crichton 6. Foran...
  76. N

Member Update

I would like to applaud the club in making these tough decisions. For long term gain I'm happy to take short term pain. I know we need to start again and I know the challenges they face. I personally would have like to have seen Lichaa, Tolman, Hoppa and Eastwood offloaded and the Morris boys...
  77. N

Next 6months - 1Year

I obviously care who we recruit and I hope they can play well but above it all they need to be of good character and put the club first, team second, individual third. I know guys like Ferguson, Hastings and company can play but their past tells me they are bad apples.
  78. N

Chris Anderson getting involved

I have faith in those in charge of the rebuild and I'm a firm believer in re-building the club from the foundations (juniors) up. I know Des was more focussed on a top down approach and I can understand (but don't agree with the approach). I had a good read of Price's book at the time Des was...
  79. N

Dumbest roster player release decisions ever, since JT

The game continues to evolve and so does the type of athlete. Unfortunatley Des plumped for Eastwood, Graham, Lichaa and Tolman when instead we should have kept the less-experienced but more dynamic Tapau's, Cook's and Finucane's. Oh how I'd love this pack to be playing for us; Klemmer, Cook...
  80. N

Bulldogs may yet re-sign veteran duo Brett and Josh Morris

I would re-sign the brothers (on well less than they are on) because we need good role models for our juniors we are going to develop. They are former test players who's professionalism and work ethic will rub off on the juniors we are grooming for 2-3 years time. I hope Anderson and the...
  81. N

Canberras Peter Mulholland takes a swipe at Bulldogs recruitment.

If Mullholland delivered us Barba, Kasiano, Jackson, Finucane, Tapau well then yes we miss him badly. Since those lads we have had F all come through on crusher and des's watch.
  82. N

Morris twins concede Bulldogs’ salary cap situation likely to force them out of the club

They were two of the best players on the park last Friday for us. I'd keep them both. I'd like to offload Hoppa, Lichaa and Tolman if possible but I know the 3 of them are on long term deals.
  83. N

Your Recruitment & Salary Cap $$

A lot of water to go under the bridge but this is what I'm hoping for; Dogs release Tolman (if a team like Newcastle will pick up his contract?), Hoppa, Lichaa and the other NSW cup lads like Stanley etc. Dogs resign Reynolds on peanuts I think we will sign a big name half or fullback if we can...
  84. N

This must be our side on Good Friday!

My preferred backline would be; 1. B Morris 2. J Morris 3. M Mbye 4. B Lee 5. M Montoya 6. Reynolds 7. Frawley Morris is a more natural fit to Fullback and Moses with his left foot at left centre is an asset. Allows for a shift late in the tackle count which forces the wingers hands to play up...
  85. N

Observation from the Knights game

Its quite clear that Moses (with all his ball playing but especially kicking) is too deep. This telegraphs the fact to the opposition so they know he is only going to do one thing. There for allowing the opposition wingers to drop back early and get in position to provide cover for the fullback...
  86. N

[SMH] Canterbury Bulldogs free up cash with departure of Curtis Rona and Tim Browne

His old man has always lived here in NZ. Yep his mum moved to North Queensland along with his sibling/s. Here in NZ whanau/family are more than just your immediate family. As you will see from my reply above I'm just passing on what his old man told me yesterday.
  87. N

[SMH] Canterbury Bulldogs free up cash with departure of Curtis Rona and Tim Browne

If this don't prove it for you I don't know what else will??
  88. N

Spoke to Curtis old man today and these were his words........3 year contract with Force pending, once wannabe (wallaby) coach got wind the ARU bumped up the contract and the rest is history. He loved his time at the dogs but the money, opportunity and chance to be surrounded by his family and...