Skill Development - Catch and Pass

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I come from a Union background and coach at representative level over here, but have always loved and supported the Doggies fanatically from NZ.

Must say I'm loving seeing all the catch and pass ball work the boys are doing with the new skills coach in the pre-season. I think we played a really attacking attractive style of footy at the back end of the season last year and I think that really gave us an insight into Deano's coaching Philosophy which I like!

Another pointer to me of Deano's coaching Philosophy (if true?) is the targeting of Dylan Napa (who I really like).

To me Deano is all about ATTACK! Attack with the ball in your hands and without. I like it!

Back to the skill development especially in the area of catch and pass I think the club are on the right track here. I loved watching the Rabbitohs and Kiwi's scoring tries where left wingers/centres were popping up on the right hand side linking up on inside balls from halves slicing through rather than being pigeonholed to just their one side of the park. The more the boys use the ball the better in my eyes from an entertainment point of view also. Beats Des instructing his front rowers to settle the whole set!

Keep up the good work!!!

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep! this new skills coach looks like he knows what he is doing.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think in 2019 we'll play like the Warriors. Toss the ball around and be more expansive. Run some nice lines and really mix it up.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed plenty of skills work in the photos and videos so far. Looks like coach is taking them back to the fundamentals, which can be forgotten

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh great to see the boys practice catch and pass
I wonder if the old run around would be effective in the modern game
It’s pretty simple to follow,just run around

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Watch some games with Dean Pay playing, the 1995 season for example, and that will give you a pretty good idea of how he will want us to play. Hit hard in every tackle, never give up and attack with the defence. Play with the ball in hand, take the line on running lines and back up your teammates. No superstar egos, play as a team.

Go Dogs

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Watch some games with Dean Pay playing, the 1995 season for example, and that will give you a pretty good idea of how he will want us to play. Hit hard in every tackle, never give up and attack with the defence. Play with the ball in hand, take the line on running lines and back up your teammates. No superstar egos, play as a team.

Go Dogs
...keep going

doggyrock

Waterboy
Reaction score
Great post and good thread. It’s great to see the skills work makes me excited for 2019.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I can see a lot of passing right at the line this coming season. Will suit Lewis and Foran who love taking the ball deep to the line before offloading, and will allow our second rowers and backline to break the line easier.

Add in some mobile props with an offload and all we need is crisp direct dummy half service.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Best thread all year. Gave me a woody reading it. I wish it was March already. Am looking forward to watching this young team develop into the Bulldogs of old.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope they are also working on Lichaa’s skills (passing off the ground for starters).

What I loved most about our style in ‘95 was the clever inside/outside passing by our forwards through the middle of the ruck. Pay, Dymock, J Smith and Britt all had great hands, and with Baa or Rocket backing up we killed it in the finals that year. We weren’t the fastest team then either, but our ball control was high quality.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Post, I like the the positive note is a good change from everything else that's going on around here.

Stevie Wonder could have seen the lack of execution we had last year and a big part of this was our inability to produce consistent, crisp passes.
Back to basics is a good sign to me.

SKY-DOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I come from a Union background and coach at representative level over here, but have always loved and supported the Doggies fanatically from NZ.

Must say I'm loving seeing all the catch and pass ball work the boys are doing with the new skills coach in the pre-season. I think we played a really attacking attractive style of footy at the back end of the season last year and I think that really gave us an insight into Deano's coaching Philosophy which I like!

Another pointer to me of Deano's coaching Philosophy (if true?) is the targeting of Dylan Napa (who I really like).

To me Deano is all about ATTACK! Attack with the ball in your hands and without. I like it!

Back to the skill development especially in the area of catch and pass I think the club are on the right track here. I loved watching the Rabbitohs and Kiwi's scoring tries where left wingers/centres were popping up on the right hand side linking up on inside balls from halves slicing through rather than being pigeonholed to just their one side of the park. The more the boys use the ball the better in my eyes from an entertainment point of view also. Beats Des instructing his front rowers to settle the whole set!

Keep up the good work!!!
Great post,

I can’t wait to watch the boys Attack.!

I noticed the first half of the year when the players started getting fatigued or under pressure they reverted to the old grinding Desball Tolman on the 4th protect the lead style of play.
From your coaching perspective does that just come back motor memory when players get fatigued.?
And how long does it usually take players to be coached out of the old habits and apply the new game plan.?
It changed like you said towards the second half of the season, I hope we see results next year it’s very exciting stuff I can’t wait.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like the post, but I still feel we are lacking a top grade on field leader.
Jacko is a great player. But hes to quiet, and the players dont appear to look for directions from him.
Would be great to have a Terry Lamb clone come along.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like the post, but I still feel we are lacking a top grade on field leader.
Jacko is a great player. But hes to quiet, and the players dont appear to look for directions from him.
Would be great to have a Terry Lamb clone come along.
Give it a couple of years and I feel like Lachie Lewis will make a great leader. He’s mature beyond his years and seems to have his head really screwed on. I hope he has a massive future as a Bulldog.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
'Catch & Pass' who wouldve thought of that revolutionary idea.. we really have the games braintrust in our coaching staff..
But we need to take them to another level. Watching melbournes crisp passing is worth watching alone. They land the ball perfect for the oncoming runner or reciever.