Recruits on Pay's watch

Nakidog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I know Deano inherited a whole lot of issues when he took on the role but when you look at the players he recruited from other clubs can you blame the higher powers for doubting his ability to recruit a side to take us back in to the top 8 and beyond?

Jack Cogger - Has not become a top grader
Nick Meany - Fringe first grader going ok without setting the world on fire
Sione Katoa - Looked very average Saturday
DWZ - Game has gone down hill since last season when he arrived with a point to prove
CHN - Off field drama, had more than enough ability.
Dean Britt - Has struggled

There is probably more but none of pay's recuits have done a hell of a lot to positively add to the side have they.

Can we blame the club?

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Stimson looking very ordinary too. How about the extension of Jackson, persisting with players such as Holland, JMK, Montoya, Smith etc.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And if our board have been so called helping they need to pack some bags too and bring peponis and farrer back.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay is gone now... it's become the next coaches problem courtesy of the board

2021 is going to be crappola, I hope a rival ticket is formed prior to the elections

#eggonfaces

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Most of players were signed by Pay and came here as a good player / ok player / average player or player with potential, but under his coaching all have turned out to be rubbish players, shit players, dud players, underachieving players.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay had a hand in 25 of the 30 man squad being signed or resigned before he was dismissed and it’s hard to argue against the majority of those players went backwards under his watch.

I’m glad he’s gone.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Jack Cogger - on minimum contract
Nick Meany - on minimum contract, I think he may actually turn out OK
Sione Katoa - on minimum contract, as a back up to the back up hooker
DWZ - came on minimum, was upgraded, which he earned last year, this year ............ not so much, which I personally think is confidence, something the whole team lacks
CHN - came on below average, given a deserved upgrade, then .............. set his dick free and farked us at the same time
Dean Britt - on minimum contract

How come so many minimum contracts, well that's all we could afford within the Cap constraints and the fact that we had to have 30 players.

Every coach takes risks with minimum contract, limited NRL experience players, some work out some don't. The success rate improves when you can surround them with quality players with NRL experience. Hardly our situation.

Go Dogs

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You forgot to call the Priest named Clay

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
DWZ - came on minimum, was upgraded, which he earned last year, this year ............ not so much, which I personally think is confidence, something the whole team lacks
CHN - came on below average, given a deserved upgrade, then .............. set his dick free and farked us at the same time

How come so many minimum contracts, well that's all we could afford within the Cap constraints and the fact that we had to have 30 players.

Every coach takes risks with minimum contract, limited NRL experience players, some work out some don't. The success rate improves when you can surround them with quality players with NRL experience. Hardly our situation.

Go Dogs
Napa min contract was too?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I'm sure you have seen every single contract and what they are worth...........

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Lets look at the "quality" players he inherited and moved on;
Martin
Brown
Olive
Saunders
Tualau
Fine
Garvey
Lee
Abbey
Fualalo

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cogger
Meaney
Katoa
Britt
Sue
(I've probably forgotten someone)

Are all players close to minimum wage. Opportunists or rejects to fill roster spots until 2021 or depth for 2022 and on wards.

Napa was a panic buy to replace Klemmer. We would of been better off not replacing Klemmer at all.

CHN was an opportunist (lost starting position to Kikau, fair). CHN was a terrific buy for us until Port Macquarie. I don't rate CHN as highly as some but for what he's on he's good value.

Stimson's also an opportunist. He'd be on a bit more than minimum wage. We need more out of him (similar buy to CHN).

The board is more responsible for these recruits more so than Pay imo.

We lost
Graham
Mbye
J. Morris
B. Morris
Woods
Klemmer
Eastwood

Due to our salary cap position. To be salary cap complient we had to move on all these players and we haven't been able to replace them. Napa was susposed to replace Klemmer (was never going to happen). DWZ and Thompson are also replacements. This is why we have so much salary cap to spend next year.

The biggest problem is who we've signed for 2021. Besides Thompson we haven't signed anyone. We should of been active and aggressive in the market since last November. If not knowing who the coach will be for 2021 was an issue the board should of made a decision on the coach before last November.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Britt didn’t come on minimum at all. Chn wasn’t on below average . Sounds like fact twisting to me.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And if our board have been so called helping they need to pack some bags too and bring peponis and farrer back.
I wouldn't blame Andrew Farrar if he never set foot in Belmore ever again. A very decent human who loves Canterbury.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
But it wasn’t deans fault cause hes a top bloke lol

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Britt didn’t come on minimum at all. Chn wasn’t on below average . Sounds like fact twisting to me.
Please be all means check it and post up any refruiting evidence, I'll be more than happy to apologise.

Go Dogs