Opinion Flanagan’s last rights at Hooker

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I totally get you're a contrarian and hate groupthink. I get the effort to make sure we don't drink the koolaid.

Can you honestly say, holistically, that the Dogs would be better with flanno than Reed at hooker? Not just about a collection of stats, but truly, our whole team would be better with flanno at 9?

For the life of me I can't see anyone trying harder than Reed. He makes mistakes, but on the list of things I'd prefer, try too hard and miss is better to me than attempt less and make fewer errors. Especially for us right now. I want someone out there lifting our team's heads with effort when things go wrong
Ok, your post is sincere enough, so I will give my honest perspective.

It doesn't lift our morale when he is making constant errors and giving away penalties that put us under pressure, especially when he is offering little in attack.

Would Flano be legitimately better at 9? That's a tough question. Obviously he wouldn't be better than Reed at his best, but the licence Reed has been given with this team has led to his ego getting a bit out of control and that is making him a real liability.

I don't buy the whole he tries hard narrative. He thinks he's better than he is, and that he should be doing everything... and i think that is a detriment to the team. He did rein it in a little against St George, so hopefully that's a good sign.... but if he is going to play like he did against the Cowboys or Parra on anything like a regular basis, I don't want him in the team.

In short, I wouldn't take Flanagan over Reed at his best, but I'd take him in a heartbeat over Reed at his worst.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reasons Kyle is playing hooker in reggies:
1. Gray is injured. Clarke is released.
2. Hayward and Rajab are in front of him in halves.
3. We no longer supply players to Mounties.
4. Tarsha Gale & Womens' NRL seasons have finished.
5. To fabricate (subpar) utility value so Manly pick him up before origin

Reactions: 88

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was wanting peoples opinions on Flanagan playing hooker in reserves.
The only thing he doesn’t do is run the ball and create as often as we like.
Is this a ploy to get him to run the ball more ?
I would rather he play 19th man that way he doesn't play FG or reserve grade and be like Lloyd Perret

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Insurance policy for Reed, who has been playing terrible footy this year. Will be back in first grade soon enough.
Can you list 10 things you wished Flannagan did better in his no 7 role?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Can you list 10 things you wished Flannagan did better in his no 7 role?
I can list 3 things Ciraldo could have done or avoided doing to manage him better.

1. Allowed him to steer the team around the park, which is what he is best at and what nobody else in the team is good at.
2. Not publicly undermined him by stating Reed was the one who would steer the team.
3. Not treated him as a scapegoat and not drop him because the media said so when Reed has been the biggest problem with the team.

Last edited:

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I can list 3 things Ciraldo could have done or avoided doing to manage him better.

1. Allowed him to steer the team around the park, which is what he is best at and what nobody else in the team is good at.
2. Not publicly undermined him by stating Reed was the one who would steer the team.
3. Not treating him as a scapegoat and dropping him because the media said so when Reed has been the biggest problem with the team.
Why didn't you answer my question?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone started taking bets on the new name @Flanagun will use ..

I’m putting a pineapple on

Mahphoney

And

GreedBaloney

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Why didn't you answer my question?
Because I think it is a question which fails to address the real issues. Flanagan is not a superstar, but he is a better player than he has been allowed to show this year and his coach could and should have gotten more out of him. That is the issue, as I see it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Leading the league in missed tackles and penalties conceded...very high up on the error count as well... only 3 try assists from 9 games. Constantly taking bad options. But yeah, Reed's having a cracker of a year! #kennellogic
You're correct that he takes some wrong options. Numerous times he's sent the ball to Flanagan assuming he's a playmaker.

He's pretty diminutive for someone defending in the middle, so I get that he falls off a few minutes tackles. Flano on the other hand isn't bad defensively but to play 7 and not have a try assist in 8 games is a telling statistic.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You're correct that he takes some wrong options. Numerous times he's sent the ball to Flanagan assuming he's a playmaker.

He's pretty diminutive for someone defending in the middle, so I get that he falls off a few minutes tackles. Flano on the other hand isn't bad defensively but to play 7 and not have a try assist in 8 games is a telling statistic.
He had quite a few assists last year. The issue is not Flanagan, but rather the way his coach and captain have shown no confidence in him.

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Most of you may find this odd, what if for the rest of the season Kyle turns out to be an excellent hooker.Would fans change their view or perhaps he is already out the door.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
what if for the rest of the season Kyle turns out to be an excellent hooker
...well, I guess it depends on if he takes cash or card.
At least we know he'll have something to do in his post-footy "career".
I suppose we'll need to find out the street he was born on and the name of his first pet so we can follow his new gig on insta.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

3. Not treated him as a scapegoat and not drop him because the media said so when Reed has been the biggest problem with the team.

:p

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of you may find this odd, what if for the rest of the season Kyle turns out to be an excellent hooker.Would fans change their view or perhaps he is already out the door.
He's had enough chances at the blue & white, time for another face to have a crack.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Leading the league in missed tackles and penalties conceded...very high up on the error count as well... only 3 try assists from 9 games. Constantly taking bad options. But yeah, Reed's having a cracker of a year! #kennellogic
I must say Flanno’s strong suit was his defence and numerous “1%’er” efforts. Always backing up. However apart from a few nice passes here and there, he is unfortunately not the creative “line breaking” force we needed at half back. He apparently was MoM in NSW Cup last week I hear. That is about the level of most ESL matches.
Said this several times Flanno, go to ESL.