Opinion Fittler as coach?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I'm no rap on Fittler getting the coaching gig at the 'Dogs but the criticism of him after we lost this game is way over the top. It was a great game and the Blues didn't get much help from the ref but I'm not blaming him either.

Queensland were outstanding, especially when Carrigan came on and really had them going forward through the middle.

I feel Jake T and JAC will be back for game 2, especially Jake as there were plenty of holes found through the middle by Queensland.

I'm hoping Fittler doesn't get the coaching role but would have him ahead a few others that have been mentioned for the role.
Great post.. there’s way too many on here with emotional “knee jerk” reactions.

If NSW win tonight, there would be a few on here with the “sign him up now” posts, the Blues lost and the knives are out.

I too am not a fan of Freddy’s, personally, I like Flanno Senior - But, Freddy is better than a few other options that have been brought up.

Last edited:

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I'm no rap on Fittler getting the coaching gig at the 'Dogs but the criticism of him after we lost this game is way over the top. It was a great game and the Blues didn't get much help from the ref but I'm not blaming him either.

Queensland were outstanding, especially when Carrigan came on and really had them going forward through the middle.

I feel Jake T and JAC will be back for game 2, especially Jake as there were plenty of holes found through the middle by Queensland.

I'm hoping Fittler doesn't get the coaching role but would have him ahead a few others that have been mentioned for the role.
I agree with you.
Im a qld supporter but I also felt the game was very good and very close. Could have gone either way. NSW had 2 tries (correctly) disallowed while QLD butchered a couple.

I cant blame Fitler. His halves just didn't get the job done. They were quite poor meanwhile QLD halves along with Val Holmes were exceptional.

My initial criticism of Fitler was that maybe Chrichton should have started with Wighton as utility on bench but that was quickly justified with the first try.

The one thing NSW needs to look at is how much of a difference Harry Grant makes to getting QLD over the ad line, while Cooky is less threatening.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dud result tonight.. outcoached by a rookie.. time to walk barefoot on the sand Fittler..

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fittler is openly saying he's happy with his 2 current gigs (he would have dreamed of as a child). So basically he needs an offer too good to refuse (seriously as a failed NRL coach ?). Now we have competition for all available coaches so they can push their prices up. We knew Maguire was likely to get dumped any minute since last year and Brown has been likely for weeks also. We should have signed Flanagan weeks ago at a cheaper rate.

If Fittler is unsuccessful with NSW this year yes his price will have to come down but then would we really want him ? If he wins the series does Gus seriously think he's worth paying probably double what we'd have to pay a proven premiership winning coach in Flanagan ? If we sign Fittler in any scenario we're f..king crazy

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fittler ahead of 3 coaches who have won a nrl premiership, while he got the spoon with a star studded roosters team

Get your hand off it
As I said I Fittler isn't my first choice but he did turn the Roosters around when they were playing as bad as we are now. He has still won more games coaching NSW than he has lost.

As for those 3 coaches that have GF's, they all won one each and none have had any affiliation with our club. Flanagan won one title for the Sharks having coached them for 8 seasons!

Madge and Green won their premierships with teams stacked with rep players and both finished up at their respective clubs before their contracts had ended.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
More than few, not sure we've you've been but Flanagan, Green, Ciraldo, Madge, Kristian Woolf, Ricky Stuart, Jim Dymock and even Potter is hoping to stay on longer.

We're hoping Gus makes the right call but I'd be happy if Potter can string a few wins together for us and they give him the role for a few years but if not then maybe someone like Ciraldo would be good as he is very highly regarded but I hear Penrith want him to stay on.

Gus would know only to well how good Ciraldo is but if he did leave Penrith he would most likely go to the Tigers.

Kristian Woolf would be the unknown but has very strong coaching credentials in the ESL. I'd then have Fittler ahead of Flanagan, Green, Madge and the rest.
Where did you get Potter is hoping to stay on longer? He said the opposite himself.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Lolll the blues got all the help in the world from the refs … were you watching the origin from tonight or a Replay from past seasons

Last edited:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As I said I Fittler isn't my first choice but he did turn the Roosters around when they were playing as bad as we are now. He has still won more games coaching NSW than he has lost.

As for those 3 coaches that have GF's, they all won one each and none have had any affiliation with our club. Flanagan won one title for the Sharks having coached them for 8 seasons!

Madge and Green won their premierships with teams stacked with rep players and both finished up at their respective clubs before their contracts had ended.
Potter has literally stated he doesn't want the full time gig and only took on the care taker role because there would be zero pressure on him.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
What are you going on about you fuckin Wally? I was replying to @Cappuccino post were he suggested Holbrook or Brown..

What players am I slandering? Give yourself a head butt or 3 numbnutts.

Seriously, WTF are you waffling about?
Apologies. It was Capuccuno I was dirty with not your good self.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Take it from someone who had him as a head coach, he would be a disaster. He may be able to stay focused for 3 games a year, but week to week he's a flipper head. Some of his explanations of our games at pressers when he was coach demonstrated he had no idea what he was talking about.

You'd be better off with Flano or even Maquire ahead of Fittler.
Surely after Fittler loses this years SOO series, Gould wouldn't dare mention him and coaching the Dogs in the same breathe. There would seriously be blood in the water for Goulds head.
Flanno is the right man. Second choice I'd prefer Toovey to Maguire.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More than few, not sure we've you've been but Flanagan, Green, Ciraldo, Madge, Kristian Woolf, Ricky Stuart, Jim Dymock and even Potter is hoping to stay on longer.

We're hoping Gus makes the right call but I'd be happy if Potter can string a few wins together for us and they give him the role for a few years but if not then maybe someone like Ciraldo would be good as he is very highly regarded but I hear Penrith want him to stay on.

Gus would know only to well how good Ciraldo is but if he did leave Penrith he would most likely go to the Tigers.

Kristian Woolf would be the unknown but has very strong coaching credentials in the ESL. I'd then have Fittler ahead of Flanagan, Green, Madge and the rest.
You would seriously have Fittler ahead of Flanno Green and Madge fare dinking you gotta be jking right

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post.. there’s way too many on here with emotional “knee jerk” reactions.

If NSW win tonight, there would be a few on here with the “sign him up now” posts, the Blues lost and the knives are out.

I too am not a fan of Freddy’s, personally, I like Flanno Senior - But, Freddy is better than a few other options that have been brought up.
No his not name em go name em worse then all of em

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did you get Potter is hoping to stay on longer? He said the opposite himself.
When Potter was asked in his first post match interview he was asked by one of the journo's "would you be interested in taking the job on a full time basis?"

He said my first priority is to the team for this year as interim coach but yes of course I or any coach would be mad if they weren't interested in a full time coaching role in the NRL but we don't won't to get ahead of ourselves, we need to focus on turning things around here over the next few weeks and then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it but to answer your question, yes of course I'm interested.

Dogs Rule

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Fittler should not be touched by the dogs... Wighton in the centres, chrighton in the bench.......

Players playing out of position is what we have had to put up with for the past few years...

After tonight, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Billy Slater as coach of the dogs... Unsure if he would be interested and haven't read further back to see if anyone had spoken of him...

But I think you would get the buying ability that came with Barrett (able to attract star players)... But has the Melbourne mentality and should be able to put in the similar structures around the place as Melbourne... Mix that in with what Gus can do, and probably have a well run club within a couple of seasons...