The Coach to Build a Dynasty

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanno will come straight in, his son is his connection and our way to lure flanno. It’s seems like a cut an paste type scenario and should be one 100% worth making happen. Makes the most sense and his coaching record speaks for itself.

Toovey would be another and we missed out on him.!!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why have two people mentioned John Morris, his win % with this Sharks squad minus Hynes is 47%, he is an assistant and that's it. Some of the coaches in that list had some very average squads with better win rates
Maybe because the win percentage isn’t everything especially when it’s early in a coaches career. The percentage can swing wildly based on a handful of wins.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s a lot of support for Flanagan but why? I don’t really see any reasons for him besides being experienced.

Here’s why I wouldn’t go near him

-Hasn’t been a head coach or a regular assistant since 2017 which is a huge length of time given the amount of changes in the game.

-Questionable cap management as he left the Sharks in a Des style mess with expensive long term deals for players like Aaron Woods, Josh Dugan and Matt Moylan.

-We are locked in with Kyle as halfback and his return to NRL doesn’t leave me with much confidence he will ever be a long term option. This has potential to be a very big issue.

-He’s hardly a revolutionary coach and mainly relied on dragging teams down to the Sharks level through the wrestle and spoiling tactics.

-His one premiership had a lot of luck behind the assembly of the roster with the perfect players becoming available at the right time. There’s also a salary cap cloud hanging over it. Lighting hasn’t come close to striking twice for him before or after.

-Then there’s a whole ASADA debacle and his suspension. It’s low hanging fruit to pick apart Flanagan for this but he still carries baggage from it. The other 5 points directly relate to what impact (or lack of) he could have at the Dogs.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why the fuck is anyone even mentioning John Morris.

We need a quality coach who can turn our bad fortune around.

What kind of special crack must one be on to think John Morris is the man to do that?

Ask yourself this question.
Why did the Sharks look past him for Fitz?

If John Morris was so good, and good enough to turn a struggling club around, the Sharks would have kept him

Let me tell you something, John Morris is a good assistant coach only
Just like Jim Dymock.

I hate to say it, Flanagan is the best available option.

A few weeks ago, I wasn't a Fan of signing Flanno as coach, mostly concerned he would show favouritism to his son
And I still believe we need a better half-back to turn around our fortune.

But.
If Shane can get the best out of Kyle and turn our fortunes around I'd take that risk.
I'm desperate for something.

But not John Morris.
Get that one out of your list boys.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Toovey makes JMK sound like a genius and he's from Manly. I'd prefer to go down on Barrett's sinking ship.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know there are people on here who have their concerns regarding Shane Flanagan and rightly so. But seriously he is the best available coach out there.
Kearney would be an improvement, but I'd call on Dymock - he understands the club and its culture; plus he was dealt a poor performing, team and did something with it. Imagine what he could do with this side, and the potential it has.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The available options don't fill me with confidence. Might need to be looking in the direction of unavailable coaches. If a top coach isn't possible why would the club change? Things could actually get worse. Bennett is sniffing around TPJ he might try to pinch a few others if the club makes more poor decisions.
Not saying a new coach is a bad idea but it is possible if the wrong coach is brought in.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why the fuck is anyone even mentioning John Morris.

We need a quality coach who can turn our bad fortune around.

What kind of special crack must one be on to think John Morris is the man to do that?

Ask yourself this question.
Why did the Sharks look past him for Fitz?

If John Morris was so good, and good enough to turn a struggling club around, the Sharks would have kept him

Let me tell you something, John Morris is a good assistant coach only
Just like Jim Dymock.

I hate to say it, Flanagan is the best available option.

A few weeks ago, I wasn't a Fan of signing Flanno as coach, mostly concerned he would show favouritism to his son
And I still believe we need a better half-back to turn around our fortune.

But.
If Shane can get the best out of Kyle and turn our fortunes around I'd take that risk.
I'm desperate for something.

But not John Morris.
Get that one out of your list boys.
John Morris was doing OK at the sharks, the only reason they continue with him was because they thought Fitz would be the better of the 2, teir was a lot of talk as to the reason why they didn't continue with Morris. I agree that Fitz looks the more presentable of the 2.
As for S Flanagan, my main concern is his son who I think is always going to be the weak link in any team.
We have the added problem of finding a coach who at least is aprofessional, hassler was agreat coach but he never had his heart in our club, his failure to use the term us @ we, plus the opinion of both Baa and Turvey proves it.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Kearney would be an improvement, but I'd call on Dymock - he understands the club and its culture; plus he was dealt a poor performing, team and did something with it. Imagine what he could do with this side, and the potential it has.
Forget Dymock
He is nothing more than an assistant coach.
That's all every other club sees in him for very good reason.

Dymock would be worse than Baz.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Only realistic options on that list are Ciraldo and Flanno.

If the club appointed someone like Kearney I’ll start following netball.
We basically already do with what they've turned the NRL into and how soft our team is every week.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flanagan, Morris and Woolf are probably the only decent experienced coaches available... I'm against Flanagan but I can see it happening. I prefer Morris or Woolf. But who knows if they'd even be considered.

Last edited:

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flanno will come straight in, his son is his connection and our way to lure flanno. It’s seems like a cut an paste type scenario and should be one 100% worth making happen. Makes the most sense and his coaching record speaks for itself.

Toovey would be another and we missed out on him.!!!
Problems with Flanagan is his son his not the long-term option

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bennett and Bellamy are the best coaches out there no other coach comes close ,just look at the past with other teams , people dreaming to think there is a messiah of a coach out there that can turn our team around they all short term solutions

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanagan, Morris and Woolf are probably the only decent experienced coaches available... I'm against Flanagan but I can see it happening. I prefer Morris or Woolf. But who knows if they'd even be considered.
Seeing what Holbrook is dishing up at the Titans, I’d be very nervous about an English coach coming over.

So many quality players there going backwards…

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoever comes in needs to bring a whole new coaching team.

For mine Barrett’s assistant coaches are one of his biggest problems.

Attack & Defence are terrible. With a key piece to both those puzzles being fitness.

Looks like they only hit the weights in the gym. I’m not sure what Cardio they do? They had players on Friday night with hands on their heads. Sucking in the big ones inside 10 minutes.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given the situation we're in I would go Flannagan. He's an experienced and proven performer and knows how to build and mould teams. Plus he's a local junior so knows what we were all about in our successful eras.

Keep hearing plenty of good things about Ciraldo, but I think this job right now is far beyond a rookie coach and we haven't got another 2-3 years for him to 'develop' into a leading coach given the cavalry has already arrived or been signed.

I think Paul Green would be too nice and not the right fit even though I like him.

I'm a fan of Toovey as a coach but I do worry about his mental well being particularly under a lot of stress, as I genuinely believe he's had too many head knocks and you can see it in his eyes .... although obviously I can't support this view with any medical facts. But I do like him.

If only Bellamy was a possible option.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Seeing what Holbrook is dishing up at the Titans, I’d be very nervous about an English coach coming over.

So many quality players there going backwards…
I was a fan of Holbrook and thought he did a good job his first season with the Titans but he's lost the plot since then. Last year they were bad, this year they're a disaster.. He's so desperate he's moved Fifita to the centres after he finally had two good games in the 2nd row. He'll probably be fired at this rate.

It is a risk but other Super League coaches have had success.. Madge, Robinson.. Woolf has already turned Tonga into a powerhouse and beaten Australia, England and New Zealand, so he's proven it at the International level too..