The Coach to Build a Dynasty

Malla

Reaction score
Don’t care about winning percentage as much as a coach that’ll just tell these flops to how it is
Shane Flanagan has to be it
Only other one Gus might go for it Ciraldo

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I mentioned Marge previously and got smashed for it , Fair enough.
But he’s doing a better job with a weaker roster than ours and they compete for the full eighty mins. We desperately need some “old school” back in this fucking joint.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Really liking the idea of Ennis as head coach with Gus there as a mentor.

Both guys that will not accept mediocrity.
Ennis won’t coach the dogs he’s getting big bucks for doing fuck all on fox , he’s too smart to do it too himself

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There’s a lot of support for Flanagan but why? I don’t really see any reasons for him besides being experienced.

Here’s why I wouldn’t go near him

-Hasn’t been a head coach or a regular assistant since 2017 which is a huge length of time given the amount of changes in the game.

-Questionable cap management as he left the Sharks in a Des style mess with expensive long term deals for players like Aaron Woods, Josh Dugan and Matt Moylan.

-We are locked in with Kyle as halfback and his return to NRL doesn’t leave me with much confidence he will ever be a long term option. This has potential to be a very big issue.

-He’s hardly a revolutionary coach and mainly relied on dragging teams down to the Sharks level through the wrestle and spoiling tactics.

-His one premiership had a lot of luck behind the assembly of the roster with the perfect players becoming available at the right time. There’s also a salary cap cloud hanging over it. Lighting hasn’t come close to striking twice for him before or after.

-Then there’s a whole ASADA debacle and his suspension. It’s low hanging fruit to pick apart Flanagan for this but he still carries baggage from it. The other 5 points directly relate to what impact (or lack of) he could have at the Dogs.
I agree with all this. Unfortunately I don't know if anything else is realistic. Who else is going to sign up for the current complete debacle at Bulldogs? Flanagan would be tempted to give it a go because of his son and because it his way back in to coaching. It is hard to see anyone else even considering taking on the job, other than either someone with a vast ego, or someone who is underqualified, and in both those scenarios any appointment is a huge roll of the dice.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with all this. Unfortunately I don't know if anything else is realistic. Who else is going to sign up for the current complete debacle at Bulldogs? Flanagan would be tempted to give it a go because of his son and because it his way back in to coaching. It is hard to see anyone else even considering taking on the job, other than either someone with a vast ego, or someone who is underqualified, and in both those scenarios any appointment is a huge roll of the dice.
Yeah it's slim pickings and a bad time to be looking for a new coach with what's available.

I don't think the Dogs would looked down on as such a bad option to be honest. We have some nice pieces on the roster and a lot of the hard work setting up a junior pipeline has been done. I think it says more about Tbaz's failure as a coach more than anything that he can't get this current side into a competitive and constantly improving state.

I just cannot see Gus and Flanagan working together especially when you have a fuse that's waiting to be lit with Kyle there. Both of them would want to call the shots and both are stubborn as a mule with massive ego's.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I was a fan of Holbrook and thought he did a good job his first season with the Titans but he's lost the plot since then. Last year they were bad, this year they're a disaster.. He's so desperate he's moved Fifita to the centres after he finally had two good games in the 2nd row. He'll probably be fired at this rate.

It is a risk but other Super League coaches have had success.. Madge, Robinson.. Woolf has already turned Tonga into a powerhouse and beaten Australia, England and New Zealand, so he's proven it at the International level too..
He should be fired after Baz, like you said moving Fifita to centre trying to replicate the Talakai experiment then having all the play go to the left (his opposite side) is beyond bizarre.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah it's slim pickings and a bad time to be looking for a new coach with what's available.

I don't think the Dogs would looked down on as such a bad option to be honest. We have some nice pieces on the roster and a lot of the hard work setting up a junior pipeline has been done. I think it says more about Tbaz's failure as a coach more than anything that he can't get this current side into a competitive and constantly improving state.

I just cannot see Gus and Flanagan working together especially when you have a fuse that's waiting to be lit with Kyle there. Both of them would want to call the shots and both are stubborn as a mule with massive ego's.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Gus went with Paul Green. They have history together

Not saying I agree, just an opinion

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the writing is on the wall for Barrett, whether he is let go in May or June its just a matter of time. So which coaches are available and who can move us fordward and get the best out of what is a very solid 2023 squad.

Coaches
ANDERSON, Daniel1967-05-031447665352.8
CARTWRIGHT, John1965-08-0919287105-45.3
CIRALDO, Cameron1984-10-30633-50.0
DYMOCK, Jim1972-04-04853-62.5
FITTLER, Brad1972-02-05582532143.1
FLANAGAN, Shane1965-12-0218510281255.1
GREEN, Paul1972-09-121678780-52.1
KEARNEY, Stephen1972-06-111214376235.5
MCGREGOR, Paul1967-12-311517081-46.4
MOORE, Kevin1965-11-30663531-53.0
SEIBOLD, Anthony1974-10-03653133147.7
TOOVEY, Geoff1969-06-171056143158.1

who would you want onboard and why?
1. Shane Flanagan

2. Shane Flanagan

3. Shane Flanagan

4. Cameron Ciraldo

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Problems with Flanagan is his son his not the long-term option
Shane Perry and more recently Chad Townsend have won titles at 7. It can work out pending who is around your halves.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Shaun Wane isn't coming. He is back at Wigan with a new role. https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/shaun-wane-excited-wigan-return/

And even if he did come, he has zero experience in the NRL, which is a very different beast compared with ESL.
That’s irrelevant, Gould took the job at the Warriors and 6 months later jumped ship for us. Wane has proven himself time and again to be an excellent coach of Rugby league and his highly regarded by many.

The NRL is a different beast? Many successful coaches in our game have cut their teeth over there. I have no doubt he would be up for the challenge and he would attract some top talent.

I just hope they same stupidlity isnt used again and we hire another “potential” coach, or worst still another Barrett who doesn’t even have a proven track record.

Green hasn't been snapped up by another club for a reason, Ciraldo hasn’t had the head job anywhere and all the Guns are locked in to other clubs.

That leaves us with either Flanagan or someone outside Australia. I swore black and blue that I never wanted to see Flanagan our doorstep, but that was before the Trentwreck.

Unless the club, sponsors and fans are prepared to risk another complete rebuild and possibly a further extended time frame back to being competitive (5+ years?) we must bring in a strong leader now who at the very least has a proven high win percentage record.

Wane 68%
Flanagan 55%

These 2 blokes are the only decent coaches that tick the boxes we need at the moment. If we are going to try and salvage what we have recruited we need a winning culture and fast. The call Gould and Co have make now is massive, they had better get it right for all our sakes.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s irrelevant, Gould took the job at the Warriors and 6 months later jumped ship for us. Wane has proven himself time and again to be an excellent coach of Rugby league and his highly regarded by many.

The NRL is a different beast? Many successful coaches in our game have cut their teeth over there. I have no doubt he would be up for the challenge and he would attract some top talent.

I just hope they same stupidlity isnt used again and we hire another “potential” coach, or worst still another Barrett who doesn’t even have a proven track record.

Green hasn't been snapped up by another club for a reason, Ciraldo hasn’t had the head job anywhere and all the Guns are locked in to other clubs.

That leaves us with either Flanagan or someone outside Australia. I swore black and blue that I never wanted to see Flanagan our doorstep, but that was before the Trentwreck.

Unless the club, sponsors and fans are prepared to risk another complete rebuild and possibly a further extended time frame back to being competitive (5+ years?) we must bring in a strong leader now who at the very least has a proven high win percentage record.

Wane 68%
Flanagan 55%

These 2 blokes are the only decent coaches that tick the boxes we need at the moment. If we are going to try and salvage what we have recruited we need a winning culture and fast. The call Gould and Co have make now is massive, they had better get it right for all our sakes.
There is no way a strong leader will start with us this year. I have no doubts Gus is manoeuvring behind the scenes but it would be for someone to start fresh in 2023.

Will probably be announced mid year and then Furner will interim coach for the rest of the year.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think it’s inevitable that the old “rebuild” excuse gets thrown out there no matter who the coach is. It’s like hitting your head against a brick wall and it’s why it’s so important they get this appointment right.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanno will come straight in, his son is his connection and our way to lure flanno. It’s seems like a cut an paste type scenario and should be one 100% worth making happen. Makes the most sense and his coaching record speaks for itself.

Toovey would be another and we missed out on him.!!!
Mate S flanagan will put his son ahead of the club NOTHING SURERER, he will taylor the team tp make his son looks good rather tha win. Young Flanno will never be anything other than very average, in fact I'd bet anything that he would never get a contract at another club.
Also if a potential great halfback comes on through our system, S Flanagan will do his best to make sure he dosen't threaten Kyles place in the team.
People forget that even the greatest professionals have their own agendas, END OFF.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate S flanagan will put his son ahead of the club NOTHING SURERER, he will taylor the team tp make his son looks good rather tha win. Young Flanno will never be anything other than very average, in fact I'd bet anything that he would never get a contract at another club.
Also if a potential great halfback comes on through our system, S Flanagan will do his best to make sure he dosen't threaten Kyles place in the team.
People forget that even the greatest professionals have their own agendas, END OFF.
So many people assume Shane will get the best out of Kyle which might be true but I don’t think his best is going to be good enough to take us where we need to be.

Kyle has so many issues in his game that need work and the fact he’s had Shane advising him for the start doesn’t fill me with much confidence he will suddenly sort them out now.

If Kyle goes to another level under Shane then I’d love nothing more than to be eating humble pie for years but if he doesn’t the entire club is up shit creek without a paddle for the whole of Shane’s tenure. There’s no way another halfback gets a look in.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is no way a strong leader will start with us this year. I have no doubts Gus is manoeuvring behind the scenes but it would be for someone to start fresh in 2023.

Will probably be announced mid year and then Furner will interim coach for the rest of the year.
I didn’t say to start now, I have said all along that I think Barrett will get the year. But Furner as interim… OMG

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think it’s inevitable that the old “rebuild” excuse gets thrown out there no matter who the coach is. It’s like hitting your head against a brick wall and it’s why it’s so important they get this appointment right.
No doubt the Barrett years have cost us another couple, but if they get this appointment right we should see stability and patterns pretty quickly.

Stopping the rot first is the priority and then we can build from there.