How to fix our Attack?

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 simple things-
1. Support play needs happen - one out running doesn't confuse or tire a defence or give us an option to continue play if we make a break.
2.Get the fucking forwards out of the way. We got multiple scrum feeds in their 30 and it goes straight to a front rower- needs to go to a Dufty or someone with pace. We seem not even try to score from a scrum play.
3. Attack needs to get deeper - we are flatter than the recent test strips in Pakistain

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
3 simple things-
1. Support play needs happen - one out running doesn't confuse or tire a defence or give us an option to continue play if we make a break.
2.Get the fucking forwards out of the way. We got multiple scrum feeds in their 30 and it goes straight to a front rower- needs to go to a Dufty or someone with pace. We seem not even try to score from a scrum play.
3. Attack needs to get deeper - we are flatter than the recent test strips in Pakistain
Hit the nail on the head with all three i reckon, attacking structures are woeful.

I'm convinced regardless of what attacking weapon is put into this team they will turn into balls under Barrett

Malla

Reaction score
There’s no easy solution. Just need to keep persisting and give players every opportunity to gel.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett has had all preseason to fix attack. So far the attack has shown absolutely nothing.

Barrett is a smooth talking hoax.
I think we should reserve judgement on the attack until we get somewhat decent playing conditions. It’s never going to look good when it’s pissing down.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A new halfback

A new hooker

Some forwards who aren’t overpaid (TPJ, Thompson) who actually provide some impact

Naden to the wing, with a proper centre inside JAC

A better lock, Jackson is too slow and can’t play that Yeo role

A coach who can coach to the strengths of the players he has, not the ones he wants.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There’s no easy solution. Just need to keep persisting and give players every opportunity to gel.
If blokes dont know how to run lines then you give them a line to run... I see neither tbh,

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are all watching the same games unfold, so give me some analysis on what each of you think is the problem with our attack at the moment.

In summary last year we largely agreed we didn't have the attacking weapons to put on points. Since then we have acquired some of the comps top try scorers in Matt Burton, Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Dufty, along with the likes of attacking weapons such as Tavita Pangai Junior and Brent Naden. So far in 2022 our attack remains pedestrian against two of the worst sides in the comp. What happens in Manly today remains to be seen, but what does it boil down to.

Well looking back at our first two games there have been a couple of things that are apparent issues with our current style of attack;

1. Jackson has been given the Yeo role and simply doesn't pose enough a threat to the defensive line, result = defence shifts left and shutdowns any impact had by Jackson engaging the line. Why did Barrett think giving Jackson a ball playing role would work?

2. Waddell in Kikau's role. Whilst his work rate has been remarkable he doesn't run the right lines. We actually had some space in Round 2 for him to take on the defence and either break the line or get a late offload away to Naden of JAC, he did neither on multiple occasions and actually ran Naden and JAC out of play. Why is Waddell being given so big a role in our attacking sets?

3. Okunbor lack of speed. This really cost us both offensively and defensively in Round 2. Hopefully we get some some speed put on that wing, his runs out of our half are valuable but we need both speed and size. Simply just a dud selection by Barrett, should never see first grade unless we have major injury crises in the backline.

I'm by no means a fan of Barrett, but I need to give some credit where it is due. He has clearly identified Burton and Dufty as the best two play makers in the side and from what I've seen in the first two rounds is setting up Burton to make the right plays on the left hand side of the field and Dufty on the right hand side of the field. I agree this is our best option to proceed with but the guys inside them simply aren't threats to the defence. We need to use guys like Pangai in the way we are trying to use the likes of Waddell in attack. We don't (currently anyway) have the luxury of a Kikau on the edge to be playing Pangai at prop.

Another success I think has been Hetherington on the right edge, he has only been really running decoys for Burns and Dufty in these early rounds but sooner or later will cause some damage there.

Let me know your thoughts..
Has to be Barrett. Players throw the ball around when with other clubs and in our reserve grade even then come to us in first grade and it seems all that eyes up natural footy is coached out of them.

Barrett must be placing too much structure on them. He needs to ease the f..k off or f..k off himself. We need to teach our players to play the way these players are used to playing, not make them play the way we are used to playing (like losers)

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Our attack looked alright last week watch the game back if you don’t believe me. Today we went backwards. I don’t rate wakeham sorry he is not good. Averillo has potential and is a dangerous ball runner and is giving everything he has. He has been thrown in the deep end. Stick with him ffs Barrett and stop listening to dumbcunt a on the internet. Meanwhile gus go and find a halfback and earn your contract. No one’s sucking your dick

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You really think it’s about just running lines? Jesus
Lol read between the lines bud... Our attack has fcuk all shape and timing... That shit has nothing to do with gelling, thats all coach.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we should reserve judgement on the attack until we get somewhat decent playing conditions. It’s never going to look good when it’s pissing down.
Sharks got a new coach. Played in shit conditions and nailed it.

Don't hear all the tales of hope from him. He just gets the job done.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
TBH, think its a lot of little things rather than big things.

#1 - slow service. JMK gets it up, looks then passes. U watch the Manly D/H's tonight. They either snapped it or ran. As Odo did it as well, I think there's no voices out there calling for it
#2 - no speed threat with the forwards. Ok - tonight conditions weren't great for forward offloads and having TPJ spill it early and Hetho off didn't help but JAC, Dufty etc need to be occasionally looking for offloads in the middle. Its why you have fast guys.
#3 - halves don't straighten well. Good halves cut in to short step the defence. Works great with inside runners (see above), then you get more value from the shift. Our guys drift and play 2nd man again and again and again.
#4 - just get a bit smarter. some dumb stuff with penalties, kicks, pass options etc. that hopefully will get better

I know some of you are screaming about the JJ option on 4th but imv, he's not asking for it. He's there as a dummy or runner or for lack of a better option and our DH's keep giving it to him. Makes you wonder where our halves are.

Get some of these going and the confidence lifts. Just see a team that doesn't have attacking confidence atm

Malla

Reaction score
Lol read between the lines bud... Our attack has fcuk all shape and timing... That shit has nothing to do with gelling, thats all coach.
Looolllllllllllll