Should we be worried about Barrett?

bluewhitepride

Waterboy
Reaction score
After tonight, we most likely have 9 players from our top 30 uavailable for next week. Of those 9 players, IMO 7 of them would normally be in the starting 17:

Allan, Napa, JMK, Jackson, Hetherington, RFM and Okunbor.

Even prior to tonight, 6 of them were unavailable.

I don't think Barrett has much to work with at all. For example, Waddell is a depth signing at best. He is starting because we literally don't have anyone else to play.

Our weak side is even weaker due to the lack of choices at the moment.

I'm not saying Barrett is the answer by any means however I don't see much to suggest that this team is any better than that of the past 3 seasons at least.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We’re not even doing basic shit right
Out attacking structures are dogshit for someone that was meant Tor be the attacking mastermind
Fitness is dogshit
And out defence is the worst I’ve seen

Yes he doesn’t have the cattle but you can stil have this team playing a whole lot better without playing to 100% of their ability

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s really looking like Barrett must go to the market and find a top notch 7. Flanagan becomes a backup and Lewis can just go. He’s finished next year if he doesn’t.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to upset all you experts on here but all the b!tching and moaning about Barrett is way off the mark. What I saw tonight was 5 or 6 players out of the 17 having a dig and the rest just out there to look fvcking pretty. It's obvious that the players who have been tapped on the shoulder and told they will no longer be needed at the club after 2021 don't give a fvck and are showing no heart or no respect for the jersey. Defensively they were showing no energy they were lethargic and lazy. In attack they were running one out with very little enthusiasm there was just no teamwork there what-so-ever and it was obvious they did not want to play for one another. They really didn't look like they wanted to be there and no coach on this planet could get this rabble fired up. I don't think Barrett is the problem.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The squad is poor, I can accept the attack Is poor as the talent is lacking but there is no excuse for the pathetic defence. Not a good sign for coaching staff when the defence is so bad at this level. St George didn't play well, had three teenagers in their team n still scored over 30. Apart from the 15 off contract hopefully a few on contract get offered opportunities elsewhere.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Our shape isn’t that bad in attack. A few times we got numbers out wide. It’s just execution and the slowness and predictability. I’m starting to doubt Flanagan will ever come good. Burton will make a huge difference.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We look like a team thrown together 5 min before kick off?
We don’t have a ‘plan’ We hit it up maybe throw a shift to the edge (players not moving onto the ball) Then on the last we just put up a chip kick basically to just handover the ball
Again the ruck is slow (we are dominated most tackles and we have had this issue for 5 years)
Ball is slow or ‘messy’ from dummy half which puts us on the back foot and the halves don’t get quick ball.
Watch every line break we have made this year (there is not even 10 of them but they come off the back of a quick play the ball!)
The forwards struggle to bend the line (maybe Thompson and Elliot being the only ones who poke the heads through)
Allan doesn’t see the ball in attack like we don’t seem to have any backline plays it’s just ‘shift it and see?’
Flanagan and Avirello are struggling due to the slow /weak service Flanagan needs to bark and then take the ball close off the ruck and turn big blokes in and out behind the ruck and get the opposition back pedalling (we seem to want to throw a ‘loopy slow ball’ which gives big forwards and edge back rowers an easy ‘read’)
You can read us as easily as a children’s book about the alphabet. So playing a bit closer and quick get the opposition rushing back pedalling
DWZ in the middle sniffing off an offload or if Flanagan/Avirello play close to the ruck and take the line on means another quick play the ball and a chance
The kicking game I don’t get put it a long the ground we put it up and then hold our hands up praying that ‘he will drop it??’
We have also seemed to put the offload away?
our tactics are just mind baffling at times

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've had the same results with the same cattle and 3 coaches. Clearly it's not the coach.
Really this looks like a completely different side that des had with him and a number of changes to last year

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not worried about Barrett nor the tear. I have written it off.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
It could be argued that regardless the team we should still see some signs of improvement. Pay had a worse team playing better or atleast with heart, just saying.

Number13

Management
Reaction score
I hate to upset all you experts on here but all the b!tching and moaning about Barrett is way off the mark. What I saw tonight was 5 or 6 players out of the 17 having a dig and the rest just out there to look fvcking pretty. It's obvious that the players who have been tapped on the shoulder and told they will no longer be needed at the club after 2021 don't give a fvck and are showing no heart or no respect for the jersey. Defensively they were showing no energy they were lethargic and lazy. In attack they were running one out with very little enthusiasm there was just no teamwork there what-so-ever and it was obvious they did not want to play for one another. They really didn't look like they wanted to be there and no coach on this planet could get this rabble fired up. I don't think Barrett is the problem.
This is unfortunate and confirms that the club has been carrying these individuals from the get go. Clearly, they are not professional players and will be recognised as such by other clubs. They are not worthy of a contract period.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Out of interest who are the five or six who are putting in.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have seen, Thompson, Avarillo, Ava Seafoodsalad, Atoni, Elliott and even though Meaney and DWZ are off contract they seem to be trying.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone who is blaming our squad and players have no idea. Yes they are part of the problem but it all starts with the top. Why keep on persisting with katoa when he proves week in and week out he isn’t nrl standard. Why pick Waddell infront of others clearly better then him. Why persist with flano when he dead set is the worst half in the game.
People talking structures? What structures? we look lost every time we are in the opposition 20 zone. And people also forget we are playing a depleted dragons side also. They had a second rower playing centre and not once in the first half did we attack that side.
Yes there are some stupid school boy errors but that’s the coaches issue also for picking them. We can’t do any worse so why not promote young blood. It’s obvious the guys who ain’t here next year just don’t care. Most of them know there football career is over. So to answer your question yes! Baz is a big part of the problem! I didn’t expect us to win but I expected us to be close especially at 6-0 half time, for the score line to be what it was at the end shows me lack of everything football this great club represents…

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
with flanno he has no help so burton will help and addo carr will help at fullback as he can add some creativity to the team attack and use his speed well but we need brandon smith

Reactions: ATT