News Bulldogs Considering Referee Action

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why Ennis was great, he'd challenge the ref and remember every instance. Even if it didn't work at times it still gave the boys a quick stoppage. Works hard Jackson but his ability as captain is limited.
You both make very good points about the captain. Jacko has great leadership qualities and you can tell he has the respect of the players.

But in terms of the on-field stuff he is severely lacking. One thing that doesnt help is that he always looks gassed and doesnt have the energy to question the decisions.

I hope we move to the co-captain model next year. Jacko and maybe Flanagan. I know he is young but I think he could handle it and he would have the footy smarts to challenge the refs. I couldnt really think of anyone else if thats the way Baz decided to go

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett will no doubt cop a fine for even considering it.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Baz planted the seed. Happy for us to move forward and say nothing more about it.
Nothing good will come of pursuing it. NRL, press and comentators dont like us so..
Hopefully other clubs will raise the point if they get shafted along the way.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You both make very good points about the captain. Jacko has great leadership qualities and you can tell he has the respect of the players.

But in terms of the on-field stuff he is severely lacking. One thing that doesnt help is that he always looks gassed and doesnt have the energy to question the decisions.

I hope we move to the co-captain model next year. Jacko and maybe Flanagan. I know he is young but I think he could handle it and he would have the footy smarts to challenge the refs. I couldnt really think of anyone else if thats the way Baz decided to go
Make Topine co captain and let him deal with the ref, kid will talk the ref to death lol.

Dog gone

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hoppa did push him in the back. It was stupid play by him. But yeah, the others I totally agree. And your right, Jackson very rarely challenges things. Not that it would make any difference anyway though.
We were our own worst enemies, but there were so many things that also went against us!!
Jackson shouldn't be captain in my opinion he never blows up or says anything for that matter to the team behind the goal line after leaking points and rarely questions the ref at all, i think him being captain also takes alot out of his own game aswell

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not possible for a team to not concede one penalty in a game and I can't remember it ever happening. Great work by Baz to expose and address the reffing inconsistencies.
Technically we got 3. Its just that they have been changed to "6 again". I really don't like this new system. The game does not need to be any faster. It naturally becomes faster over time anyway, as teams and players become better. It's always evolving and improving, the NRLol don't need to force its hand.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m watching the game again now (halftime)

We were on top for 30 mins despite some errors out of ‘yardage’ (the new buzz word)

What I don’t understand among the 4 set restarts and two penalties the Knights got in the opening 40.

- Brailey deliberately punches the ball out of Ogden with 3 in a tackle yet its a loose carry
- Sue does the same thing to Allan and they get the attacking scrum
- We are driving the Knights back on defence and they get a restart on the 4th and work way out of trouble
- Just prior to last try in that half Connor Watson is dancing before the line again on the 4th and Cummins gives them a restart mid play [emoji23]

That’s just the first fkn 40
The deliberate punching out of the ball, when there were two or more in the tackle, happened in the denied try as well.

They scored a try in the first half getting possession from a two man strip; then stopped our try by punching the ball out - which is allowed in the rules, but it should have been a line drop out, not a seven set restart to the Knights.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Technically we got 3. Its just that they have been changed to "6 again". I really don't like this new system. The game does not need to be any faster. It naturally becomes faster over time anyway, as teams and players become better. It's always evolving and improving, the NRLol don't need to force its hand.
Yeah but the first one came in the 65th minute when the game was over to balance out the count. Plus most of the Knights six agains were late in the tackle count..

I agree that this manufactured increased game speed is fucking the code and making it unwatchable. As you said, the game is faster than ever without these crazy six again changes. Not to mention the increase in injuries we saw last year because of the increased speed. The players bodies can only go through so much.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Referees are human - although some may debate that - and are always going to be influenced by the screaming of home crowds.

But when an away team doesn't get a penalty in the full 80 minutes - as happened to the poor Bulldogs against the Knights last weekend - questions have to be asked.

And that is exactly what Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett is doing. He has found at least six instances where his team could have been awarded penalties by Ben Cummins in the loss to the Knights, yet the whistle was never blown.

He is considering taking his complaints, with video evidence, to the NRL - and I'll be interested to see the response if he does.

One thing you can put money on - the Bulldogs will win the penalty count next weekend. It's how rugby league has worked for many years.
He SHOULD do it but it won't end up with us winning the penalty count. That never happens for us. After he does this, he needs to follow it up every week & should the impossible happen that we end up on the positive side of the ledger, point that out too. That would add credibility to his account. All everybody wants (except the NRL, Fox Sports & Ch9) is consistency. A great game is where you don't notice the refereeing & I haven't seen that in many years.

Everybody benefits if the game is refereed fairly. Then once the referee issue is fixed we can get onto the salary crap (intentional misspelling).

Footnote: Referees boss is Jared Maxwell another former referee who hated us so forget it!

Last edited:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In the second half we get our restart calls in bunches with a he game all but decided at that point.

The interesting thing is on one of our restarts (we only got 3) we make good gain and finish with Flanno attacking kick which Elliott chases and challenges and the Knights winger clearly knocks on but Cummins calls it knock on us??

The other restart call /end of that set we go shortside and Flanno grubbers for a repeat set yet Knights get the penalty for a supposed ‘shove’ by Hoppa

Another one when Frizzel coughs it up trying to play it quick yet Hethrington is pinged for interference - penalty Knights

Pearce milking - penalty Knights
Pearce runs in late to third man in tackle Elliott after the ref yells held - play on

All these little things add up (and the above were just 3 examples in the second half alone)
Either the Knights are so perfect or we are just the unlucky.......

Yet the skipper never challenges it or at bare minimum asks the question
That was one of the things the NRL wanted to get out of the game with the re-starts - stop the stop in play for captains questioning decisions. How else can teams stop breaching rules if they don't know what rule(s) they are breaching? Then someone gets binned because they didn't know!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
View attachment 22101

Proof that Cummins does hate us
Barry Barnes, there's a blast from the past, mostly reff'd our games from 1982 to 1987 (25 games), which was a pretty good time to be Bulldogs fan. Ted Glossop (1982) then Warren Ryan were the coaches and Chris Anderson (1982) and then Steve Mortimer were the Captains, 2 premierships, runner up and 4 years in a row in the finals.

Go Dogs

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think its a good move. There is no doubt referees go out with preconceived ideas of what the result is going to be. I am not saying they are being deliberately bias but the bottom teams definitely get officiated differently to the top teams.

And also teams with a strong home ground advantage get waaaay to many good calls.

Its been happening for years and is one of the reasons for the big gap between the bottom teams and the top teams.

What shits me is that in all of the NRL shows analysing the games not one mention has been made of the fact that we didnt receive a penalty the whole game and we didnt receive a set restart until the 65th minute. That had a HUGE impact on the game. All that the media wanted to talk about was our soft defence and errors. Yes they were important but equally important was the one sided officiating.

We were the only team all weekend not to receive a penalty and the only team not to get a set restart in the first 65 minutes yet somehow that doesnt seem newsworthy
We are the only team other than the Warriors in NR: history (Rd 1 1999) that haven't had a penalty in a whole game.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Interesting that Cust is on the bench this week & Harper throwing the toys out of the cot again. If Harper is not careful, he will get a reputation.
Cust is very undderrated and never going to get a go at Manly.. No idea why he re-signed. Now he is shining at hooker too he might be what we need.

Would swap Hoppa for Harper and Cust for take your pick in a heart beat.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We are the only team other than the Warriors in NR: history (Rd 1 1999) that haven't had a penalty in a whole game.
Wow, just wow. That should be made a huge deal of. Seriously, it has to be asked of everyone in charge of anything to do with RL if the Knights last Friday night were the exemplar of perfect non-rule breaching rugby league. And when other teams get penalised for something the matches stuff done by Knights players in that game, teams and coaches should just go straight to that match and ask questions.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the second half we get our restart calls in bunches with a he game all but decided at that point.

The interesting thing is on one of our restarts (we only got 3) we make good gain and finish with Flanno attacking kick which Elliott chases and challenges and the Knights winger clearly knocks on but Cummins calls it knock on us??

The other restart call /end of that set we go shortside and Flanno grubbers for a repeat set yet Knights get the penalty for a supposed ‘shove’ by Hoppa

Another one when Frizzel coughs it up trying to play it quick yet Hethrington is pinged for interference - penalty Knights

Pearce milking - penalty Knights
Pearce runs in late to third man in tackle Elliott after the ref yells held - play on

All these little things add up (and the above were just 3 examples in the second half alone)
Either the Knights are so perfect or we are just the unlucky.......

Yet the skipper never challenges it or at bare minimum asks the question
Jackson needs to watch videos of Cam Smith subtly manipulating and questioning the ref and stalling for time when his team gets penalised. It's not just what the skipper says but how he says it that will resonate with the ref and increase the odds of a "get square" penalty in return when there is a line ball decision.