News Bulldogs Considering Referee Action

DirtyDog72

Waterboy
Reaction score
Referees are human - although some may debate that - and are always going to be influenced by the screaming of home crowds.

But when an away team doesn't get a penalty in the full 80 minutes - as happened to the poor Bulldogs against the Knights last weekend - questions have to be asked.

And that is exactly what Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett is doing. He has found at least six instances where his team could have been awarded penalties by Ben Cummins in the loss to the Knights, yet the whistle was never blown.

He is considering taking his complaints, with video evidence, to the NRL - and I'll be interested to see the response if he does.

One thing you can put money on - the Bulldogs will win the penalty count next weekend. It's how rugby league has worked for many years.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Referees are human - although some may debate that - and are always going to be influenced by the screaming of home crowds.

But when an away team doesn't get a penalty in the full 80 minutes - as happened to the poor Bulldogs against the Knights last weekend - questions have to be asked.

And that is exactly what Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett is doing. He has found at least six instances where his team could have been awarded penalties by Ben Cummins in the loss to the Knights, yet the whistle was never blown.

He is considering taking his complaints, with video evidence, to the NRL - and I'll be interested to see the response if he does.

One thing you can put money on - the Bulldogs will win the penalty count next weekend. It's how rugby league has worked for many years.
Good shit!! And so we fucking should!!! I went through the game play by play and came up with a number of instances we should have had 6 again or a penalty!! Here are just 2 of them.

20210313_105243_copy_2016x1512.jpg20210313_103022_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Last edited:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

As bad as the ref was last week it could have been worst... what would have the penalty count have been if it was the other ref whose brother used to be in charge of the refs (aka conflict of interest).
Surely there has to be a process that in every match review there must be a reconciliation of decision disconnects in the match report between the ref's boss and the ref, i.e the ref must provide a detailed written explanation as to why a penalty was given or not given when the ref's boss came to a different decision. This is an objective measure of the ref's performance and ranking as opposed to the ref's boss just making a gut feeling without any metrics.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its a good move. There is no doubt referees go out with preconceived ideas of what the result is going to be. I am not saying they are being deliberately bias but the bottom teams definitely get officiated differently to the top teams.

And also teams with a strong home ground advantage get waaaay to many good calls.

Its been happening for years and is one of the reasons for the big gap between the bottom teams and the top teams.

What shits me is that in all of the NRL shows analysing the games not one mention has been made of the fact that we didnt receive a penalty the whole game and we didnt receive a set restart until the 65th minute. That had a HUGE impact on the game. All that the media wanted to talk about was our soft defence and errors. Yes they were important but equally important was the one sided officiating.

We were the only team all weekend not to receive a penalty and the only team not to get a set restart in the first 65 minutes yet somehow that doesnt seem newsworthy

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m watching the game again now (halftime)

We were on top for 30 mins despite some errors out of ‘yardage’ (the new buzz word)

What I don’t understand among the 4 set restarts and two penalties the Knights got in the opening 40.

- Brailey deliberately punches the ball out of Ogden with 3 in a tackle yet its a loose carry
- Sue does the same thing to Allan and they get the attacking scrum
- We are driving the Knights back on defence and they get a restart on the 4th and work way out of trouble
- Just prior to last try in that half Connor Watson is dancing before the line again on the 4th and Cummins gives them a restart mid play [emoji23]

That’s just the first fkn 40

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its a good move. There is no doubt referees go out with preconceived ideas of what the result is going to be. I am not saying they are being deliberately bias but the bottom teams definitely get officiated differently to the top teams.

And also teams with a strong home ground advantage get waaaay to many good calls.

Its been happening for years and is one of the reasons for the big gap between the bottom teams and the top teams.

What shits me is that in all of the NRL shows analysing the games not one mention has been made of the fact that we didnt receive a penalty the whole game and we didnt receive a set restart until the 65th minute. That had a HUGE impact on the game. All that the media wanted to talk about was our soft defence and errors. Yes they were important but equally important was the one sided officiating.

We were the only team all weekend not to receive a penalty and the only team not to get a set restart in the first 65 minutes yet somehow that doesnt seem newsworthy
Spot on. Especially when the "away" underdog team is in front the ref whether consciously or subconsciously finds a way to get the momentum back with the home team with a flood of dubious penalties. A vocal home crowd contributes to 90+% of the penalties. The "experts" at Fox/9 just jump on the bandwagon of the teams in favour with the media or the team expected to win.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
TBH it was a disgraceful Referring performance, we just made it a lot harder to complain about due to how poor we played at times, which also could have been attributed to the extra load Cumbreath placed on us.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
BTW this is not the first time Cummins has be accused of bias.. im pretty sure Trent Robinson blew him a new one with a whole bunch of damming stats against him in roosters games..

Correct me if im wrong im just going off memory .. im sure TT will correct me..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can you give us some context mate because all I can from those stills is absolutely fuck all
Bradman Best has his hand all over the ball. This was after held was called, and Allan was trying to get to his feet. Hand on the ball, 6 again. How many times do we hear this?! And it was the same reason 20 odd mins later for our first 6 again.
The other image, there are 2 in the tackle, and Sue deliberately strikes at the ball and dislodges it. This one could have gone either way, but therein lies the problem really. Its down to refs interpretation. Loose carry, or strip.
These 2 incidents were 2 tackles apart.

Last edited:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is no doubt referees go out with preconceived ideas of what the result is going to be. I am not saying they are being deliberately bias but the bottom teams definitely get officiated differently to the top teams.
Mate, I feel the same way. I can't help but think that these refs sub-consciously think that because the team is a bottom four team they need to be discipline or trained to get better when there is really no reason to.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m watching the game again now (halftime)

We were on top for 30 mins despite some errors out of ‘yardage’ (the new buzz word)

What I don’t understand among the 4 set restarts and two penalties the Knights got in the opening 40.

- Brailey deliberately punches the ball out of Ogden with 3 in a tackle yet its a loose carry
- Sue does the same thing to Allan and they get the attacking scrum
- We are driving the Knights back on defence and they get a restart on the 4th and work way out of trouble
- Just prior to last try in that half Connor Watson is dancing before the line again on the 4th and Cummins gives them a restart mid play [emoji23]

That’s just the first fkn 40
There were so many. Another thing you will probably ly notice as well, is that almost every tackle we are put on our back. This was a contributing factor too. But thats on us.