News Staggs to test market

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Okay here it is with Momirovski (350-400K) for example. Very average on one side of the field.

1 Allan
2 JAC
3 Cotric
4 Momirovski
5 Okunbor

For an extra 300-350K for Staggs (700K) we'd be a serious threat to all top teams on both sides of the field.

1 Allan
2 JAC
3 Cotric
4 Staggs
5 Okunbor
400k for Momirovski, lol seriously? Storm won a comp with Brenko Lee @ centre and an unknown Olam..we don't need to spend 700k+ on another back lol. Staggs isn't even worth that and it's just his slimey manager trying to get one final pay day before his licence is suspended....@ a more realistic price, sure... but even then then he still has deficiencies in his game and looks prone to injury with his running style. For sure he's exciting to watch but do remember Wakeham literally ran through him to score a try along with about 1000 other players.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
400k for Momirovski, lol seriously? Storm won a comp with Brenko Lee @ centre and an unknown Olam..we don't need to spend 700k+ on another back lol. Staggs isn't even worth that and it's just his slimey manager trying to get one final pay day before his licence is suspended....@ a more realistic price, sure... but even then then he still has deficiencies in his game and looks prone to injury with his running style. For sure he's exciting to watch but do remember Wakeham literally ran through him to score a try along with about 1000 other players.
Momo probably would get 300kish mate. 400k unlikely but then again who knows. We had holland on it...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Momo probably would get 300kish mate. 400k unlikely but then again who knows. We had holland on it...
What we previously had players on should be irrelevant, otherwise every signing will look "good" when compared with them.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We agree re hoooker. Though Napa and hoppa are about 100-200k short of staggs and b Smith!
We'll definitely have the money to get Staggs. But in terms of roster balance/cap allocation to certain positions, I don't see us making a run at him as good as he is.

Plus several more players will need to be upgraded within our own squad.. I think all we're missing is a hooker and a damaging edge 2nd rower and we can be premiership contenders for years to come once Fox and Burton arrive in 2022..

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be happy with Stephen Crichton myself and it might be possible to get him a bit cheaper at 600k-650k. The Storm have better attacking forwards (including Harry Grant) than us and better more experienced halves including Munster and a better fullback. The one area we could potentially improve and be better than them and other teams would be in the backs. I really don't want to see another average centre like Hopa (or Holland) who can't be effective chasing kicks because he's too slow, can't make a line break or tackle bust.

Our forwards will only be average in attack, our halves are very young / inexperienced, our fullback isn't going to be an elite fullback. We need an advantage somewhere and the backline is the only place where we can get that advantage at the moment. Even then we would need to hope Okunbor can prove a success on one wing.

JAC, Cotric and Allan aren't quite enough strike power to turn us into a top 4 team IMO but if we partner Cotric with someone like Staggs or Crichton then I feel we definitely have the potential to be a top 4 team (if we also get B.Smith)

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We'll definitely have the money to get Staggs. But in terms of roster balance/cap allocation to certain positions, I don't see us making a run at him as good as he is.

Plus several more players will need to be upgraded within our own squad.. I think all we're missing is a hooker and a damaging edge 2nd rower and we can be premiership contenders for years to come once Fox and Burton arrive in 2022..
What good damaging edge forwards are available though ?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
We don’t really need that if rfm continues.

Especially if he had someone like staggs, cotric or jac around him!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He could be on 350K which is what we're reportedly paying for Lewis
Exactly. Wakeham Becomes depth to burton flano. That kid bo around too.

Lewis out with a minimal wage/kid coming in.

200k there to go on Napa and hoppa salary.

Staggs and b Smith in!

Leaves a lot of spots to play with for depth/additions we need and money to with jmk, britt, Crichton, meaney, c Smith, Ogden, Katoa etc off the books end of year to and I bet all bar Katoa aren’t on minimum. I think meaney, britt, jmk, Crichton and c Smith would be on close to double based on the time they where signed, how we where positioned and the hype/potential of say jmk meaney and Crichton at their time. Then britt c Smith at the time for us and the fact they were playing reasonable footy. No way britt left bunnies bench to play for nothing for us. He was going well there to. Was shit for us so far.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Would rather not get Staggs, move on Hoppa and DWZ and have us get Simminson back from Canberra at some point...
1. Allan
2. Simminson
3. Cotric
4. Schoupp
5. Addo-Carr
Is my ideal backline 2022 onwards.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly. Wakeham Becomes depth to burton flano. That kid bo around too.
That means Wakeham will need to be uprated a bit, probably to around what Lewis is on and Bionio-Odo will need a substantial upgrade since he isn't even in the 30 currently.

Lewis out with a minimal wage/kid coming in
But you have already spent the difference between your "minimal wage/kid" and Lewis on upgrading Wakeham.

200k there to go on Napa and hoppa salary
I have no idea what you mean by this.

Staggs and b Smith in!
Where are you going to get the $1.5m you want to spend on them ($700k +$800k respectively)?

Leaves a lot of spots to play with for depth/additions we need and money to with jmk, britt, Crichton, meaney, c Smith, Ogden, Katoa etc off the books end of year to and I bet all bar Katoa aren’t on minimum. I think meaney, britt, jmk, Crichton and c Smith would be on close to double based on the time they where signed, how we where positioned and the hype/potential of say jmk meaney and Crichton at their time. Then britt c Smith at the time for us and the fact they were playing reasonable footy. No way britt left bunnies bench to play for nothing for us. He was going well there to. Was shit for us so far.
Katoa is on minimum so he saves exactly zero because he has to be replaced with at least someone else on the minimum. If you want someone better than Katoa you won't get that for the minimum.

Britt is on not much more than minimum (he had no other offers) so he saves almost nothing because he has to be replaced with at least someone else on the minimum. If you want someone better than Britt you won't get that for the minimum.

I don't know how much you think Meaney is on but I bet it's not as much as you think. He gets paid around what a back up winger gets paid, so I'm not sure how you are going to save anything unless you don't want a backup winger who can also do a decent job at fullback.

Ogden, this is his make or break year, so it's bit pre-emptive to list him now.

Who have I missed....JMK........ he is paid peanuts for an NRL hooker, not even well paid for a bench utility. Same as Ogden, this is his make or break year as a hooker, even more so as a bench utility, so it's very pre-emptive to list him now.

Add it up and you have listed around $2.5m out and $3.5m in, including upgrades.

Go Dogs

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'd be happy with Stephen Crichton myself and it might be possible to get him a bit cheaper at 600k-650k. The Storm have better attacking forwards (including Harry Grant) than us and better more experienced halves including Munster and a better fullback. The one area we could potentially improve and be better than them and other teams would be in the backs. I really don't want to see another average centre like Hopa (or Holland) who can't be effective chasing kicks because he's too slow, can't make a line break or tackle bust.

Our forwards will only be average in attack, our halves are very young / inexperienced, our fullback isn't going to be an elite fullback. We need an advantage somewhere and the backline is the only place where we can get that advantage at the moment. Even then we would need to hope Okunbor can prove a success on one wing.

JAC, Cotric and Allan aren't quite enough strike power to turn us into a top 4 team IMO but if we partner Cotric with someone like Staggs or Crichton then I feel we definitely have the potential to be a top 4 team (if we also get B.Smith)
Doesn't matter how good your backs are on paper, if the forwards and spine aren't getting the job done then you're irrelevant come finals time. How good your backs perform is impacted far more by the performances of the players on the inside building momentum and making decisions rather than the individual brilliance of the back himself.

Wwe're going to have the two highest paid wingers in the game next season, is that not enough for some of you. Why do we need to go and the add the highest paid centre on top of that? 3/5 outside backs earning for than the spine...do you not see anything wrong with that?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how good your backs are on paper, if the forwards and spine aren't getting the job done then you're irrelevant come finals time. How good your backs perform is impacted far more by the performances of the players on the inside building momentum and making decisions rather than the individual brilliance of the back himself.

Wwe're going to have the two highest paid wingers in the game next season, is that not enough for some of you. Why do we need to go and the add the highest paid centre on top of that? 3/5 outside backs earning for than the spine...do you not see anything wrong with that?
Exactly. World class hooker and front rower gotta be added, then allow for movement to upgrade and keep the good young players that kick on

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
That means Wakeham will need to be uprated a bit, probably to around what Lewis is on and Bionio-Odo will need a substantial upgrade since he isn't even in the 30 currently.

But you have already spent the difference between your "minimal wage/kid" and Lewis on upgrading Wakeham.

I have no idea what you mean by this.

Where are you going to get the $1.5m you want to spend on them ($700k +$800k respectively)?

Katoa is on minimum so he saves exactly zero because he has to be replaced with at least someone else on the minimum. If you want someone better than Katoa you won't get that for the minimum.

Britt is on not much more than minimum (he had no other offers) so he saves almost nothing because he has to be replaced with at least someone else on the minimum. If you want someone better than Britt you won't get that for the minimum.

I don't know how much you think Meaney is on but I bet it's not as much as you think. He gets paid around what a back up winger gets paid, so I'm not sure how you are going to save anything unless you don't want a backup winger who can also do a decent job at fullback.

Ogden, this is his make or break year, so it's bit pre-emptive to list him now.

Who have I missed....JMK........ he is paid peanuts for an NRL hooker, not even well paid for a bench utility. Same as Ogden, this is his make or break year as a hooker, even more so as a bench utility, so it's very pre-emptive to list him now.

Add it up and you have listed around $2.5m out and $3.5m in, including upgrades.

Go Dogs
Wakeham extended recently. No Upgraded needed at all.

Meaney was recruited with plenty of hype after taking out whatever it was in nsw cup. He’s certainly not paid back up winger.

Britt was playing very well at south’s and certainly had other interest. Again closer to double than minimum.

The 1.5 your sayinf to get stagg and b Smith is simple. Hoppa Napa are approx 1.3.

Lewis out. Depth in to go
Behind Wakeham who becomes the main depth (already signed and was extended recently meaning he has another 2 seasons from memory).

Not sure how you don’t follow.

Jmk might not be paid nrl hooker money (e.g 600-800k) though he’s paid arguably about 300kish. He wouldn’t get a run in any nrl team and won’t again if we sign b Smith.

Katoa could stay on minimal if we land b Smith and you pocket another 150kish there with that replacement for example.

Same can be said for a lot of our fringe players who won’t get a run like c Smith, Crichton, meaney, britt, jmk, Lewis etc.

In essence we have far too many flops paid more than they are worth like we did with montoya holland tolman etc.

The major $ is hoppa and Napa which should be around the 1.3 based on reports.

Plenty more to come even if it’s 150k-200k here and there by replacing Lewis with minimal when he isn’t first grade and guys like wakeham step up. Crichton who came across as a bit of hype from panthers who played well that season for them to nothing for us with jac and Dwz. A minimal depth would add some more $ goes on and on. Meaney. Jmk. C Smith. Britt. Ogden etc. there is a reason it’s reported we have 4 mil off the books ( I can’t see it that high but still clearly we have some shocking contracts on shit players like we did holland montoya tolman etc)

This won’t be the case next year and is why I’d say Arthur said who whoever it was here we are going hard for staggs and b Smith.

Simply put Napa and hoppa almost cover those 2 alone!!! Terrible when you face reality how bad our contracts have been.

Hope this clears it up.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
He has heart in a league where the majority couldn't even spell the word. The bloke was busting his arse at the Bronc's long after the rest of the team had given up. He earn't my respect at that time. That's the sort of kids we need. One's that give a fuk. Salary Cap is not my forte so if we can afford the figure while still balancing the team then we could do alot worse that's for sure. Hoppa's money alone would take us 3/4 of the way wouldn't it?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Under normal circumstances I agree the spine should be the biggest expense but in our case we have both young halves and our fullback locked in for fairly low wages so the only big expense in our spine would be Brandon Smith if we can get him and even he wouldn't be on more than 700-800k you would think so that leaves us money to spend in other areas. Who are the 2 weakest links / players in our team that need replacing first for 2022 ? I would say JMK and Hopa then if we have money left over which is very likely chase a decent 5th prop or edge backrower. I wouldn't be surprised if Barrett is chasing Yeo from the Panthers along with B.Smith and either Crichton or Staggs or both (whoever signs first)

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He has heart in a league where the majority couldn't even spell the word. The bloke was busting his arse at the Bronc's long after the rest of the team had given up. He earn't my respect at that time. That's the sort of kids we need. One's that give a fuk. Salary Cap is not my forte so if we can afford the figure while still balancing the team then we could do alot worse that's for sure. Hoppa's money alone would take us 3/4 of the way wouldn't it?
Exactly my point.

Napa and hoppa alone would cover all bar maybe 100-200k to get b Smith and staggs.

Then you got Lewis jmk Britt c Smith Crichton Ogden meaney etc all off the books and won’t get upgrades or even the same they are on now at any club for majority.

They will leave more $!

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Exactly my point.

Napa and hoppa alone would cover all bar maybe 100-200k to get b Smith and staggs.

Then you got Lewis jmk Britt c Smith Crichton Ogden meaney etc all off the books and won’t get upgrades or even the same they are on now at any club for majority.

They will leave more $!
id be very surprised Brisbane would let him go seeing that they are saying he is a priority. Kevvy wont let him go IMO.
We have made a good offer to another centre of same quality, depends on what happens there.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
id be very surprised Brisbane would let him go seeing that they are saying he is a priority. Kevvy wont let him go IMO.
We have made a good offer to another centre of same quality, depends on what happens there.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Bronc's lost Stagg this year with how the club and team around him handled the season. I think he might want to go to a place where there's more fortitude. Atleast that's how I would feel if I was him.