News Staggs to test market

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Your clearly missing the fact these blokes aren’t meant to be in first grade e.g Lewis, jmk, c Smith, britt. Yet are paid far more than they should be. A kid promoted or a depth signing (200k is not the mimimim so not to educated in what your discussing in my opinion)

Along with Napa and hoppa on around 1.3 would certainly allow some very good recruits and depth to fill the roster slots of those needing to be replaced and saving money on e.g Lewis. With burton and Flanagan our 6,7 wakeham depth and this other bo kid someone like Lewis goes and we save 200k promoting a jr or a fringe depth.

Hopefully this helps
Agree to disagree 09........the $200k was an average for 8 players.....highly unlikely that you would replace 8 experienced NRL players with absolute virgins on the minimum wage................it would also be interesting to actually know what the salaries of Hoppa and Napa are....as both you and I are only guessing......I do agree that at least one of them is overpaid.....as I said, I disagree with you......let's leave it at that.....

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
The only thing I’ll state is if you think Lewis jmk c Smith Crichton would be “experienced nrl players” anywhere else that isn’t a rabble I can’t agree.

Also Napa and hoppa would essentially be replaced with superior first grade players.

Only Meaney and maybe britt might get another gig somewhere and hardly call them experienced.

Don’t need to be “absolute virgins” just not overpaid fringe first graders/reserve graders.

Anyway as you said agree to disagree.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The only thing I’ll state is if you think Lewis jmk c Smith Crichton would be “experienced nrl players” anywhere else that isn’t a rabble I can’t agree.

Also Napa and hoppa would essentially be replaced with superior first grade players.

Only Meaney and maybe britt might get another gig somewhere and hardly call them experienced.

Don’t need to be “absolute virgins” just not overpaid fringe first graders/reserve graders.

Anyway as you said agree to disagree.
I think your problem may well be that the average ($9.6m / 30) = $320k is not the average for the 17/19 NRL level players, it also includes their backups AND the back ups to the back ups. The average regular NRL player is on more than $320k.

Crichton for example is a backup to the back up, hence why his contract is well below the average, in fact on the minimum. That’s why using him as an example is meaningless, we can’t save money replacing him AND his replacement would still be the back up to the back up.

Moving on to CSmith, he was a back up to the back up last year, he only got game time due to injuries to Elliott, Stimson , etc. He was signed as a NSW Cup Player, ie; a back up, and his contract value reflects that. He’s an experienced forward at 27 and as such can fill in quite capably, as he has done when required. He was injured playing in the Indigenous All Stars game last year, so he’s not exactly a hack. Using him as an example is equally meaningless, we wouldn’t save much if anything replacing him and having an experienced forward back up is a part of balance required of the 30.

Picking random players from outside the 17/19 and saying that they are overpaid is nothing more than poor quality guessing, the fact is we don’t know whether they are or not. Then guessing that we could get a better replacement for less (less that what?) is even poorer. The fact is back ups are required, some of them will be young guys that are maybe on the way up and some are experienced players that can fill in when required.

What you are doing is using a guessed contract value for the existing player, then using an even more guessed contract vale for their mysterious replacement and then using what is now a double guessed amount “saved” to support the guessed contract value of a third player who happens to be on today’s wish list. That’s 3 guesses which leaves a huge margin for error, which makes it nothing more than a fanciful exercise, which can be fun, but shouldn’t be treated too seriously.

Go Dogs

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
All my hard out Broncos fans saying he’s a liability on defence’
I vaguely remember a lower grade GF between the Dogs and Brisbane, where Staggs stopped a kick into his goal area, then passed the ball back to a surprised but grateful Bulldog to score next to the posts.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think your problem may well be that the average ($9.6m / 30) = $320k is not the average for the 17/19 NRL level players, it also includes their backups AND the back ups to the back ups. The average regular NRL player is on more than $320k.

Crichton for example is a backup to the back up, hence why his contract is well below the average, in fact on the minimum. That’s why using him as an example is meaningless, we can’t save money replacing him AND his replacement would still be the back up to the back up.

Moving on to CSmith, he was a back up to the back up last year, he only got game time due to injuries to Elliott, Stimson , etc. He was signed as a NSW Cup Player, ie; a back up, and his contract value reflects that. He’s an experienced forward at 27 and as such can fill in quite capably, as he has done when required. He was injured playing in the Indigenous All Stars game last year, so he’s not exactly a hack. Using him as an example is equally meaningless, we wouldn’t save much if anything replacing him and having an experienced forward back up is a part of balance required of the 30.

Picking random players from outside the 17/19 and saying that they are overpaid is nothing more than poor quality guessing, the fact is we don’t know whether they are or not. Then guessing that we could get a better replacement for less (less that what?) is even poorer. The fact is back ups are required, some of them will be young guys that are maybe on the way up and some are experienced players that can fill in when required.

What you are doing is using a guessed contract value for the existing player, then using an even more guessed contract vale for their mysterious replacement and then using what is now a double guessed amount “saved” to support the guessed contract value of a third player who happens to be on today’s wish list. That’s 3 guesses which leaves a huge margin for error, which makes it nothing more than a fanciful exercise, which can be fun, but shouldn’t be treated too seriously.

Go Dogs
I see the problem. You think Crichton and c Smith are on back up to back up wage.

They should be. They aren’t.

Both on closer to double minimum wage than minimum wage like you list Crichton on. Way off. He doesn’t leave the panthers on a multi year deal for minimum wage after his “break out” year. Just not remotely thinking about what your saying there.

Same again with guys like britt. Doesn’t leave the bunnies playing well to a rabble (let’s be serious we were a mess for years) for nothing but a nice pay rise.

C Smith was extended and talked up by Pay and I think he was a decent kid at the chooks, he’s shown some promise though again he would struggle to make first grade at most clubs and is not paid accordingly with us due to the rabble we where in both on and off the field.

Crichton had a good year at the panthers we poached him and he’s failed to deliver. Wont get that $ again.

While that’s what they are in reality. It’s not what we pay them. Just like jmk and Lewis britt Meaney etc. I mean ffs we pay Napa 650k. Sadly we are coming out from what they eels where when they had a bunch of blokes on way over what they should be and most of them don’t belong in first grade.

Thankfully last season of it!

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I see the problem. You think Crichton and c Smith are on back up to back up wage.

They should be. They aren’t.

Both on closer to double minimum wage than minimum wage like you list Crichton on. Way off. He doesn’t leave the panthers on a multi year deal for minimum wage after his “break out” year. Just not remotely thinking about what your saying there.

Same again with guys like britt. Doesn’t leave the bunnies playing well to a rabble (let’s be serious we were a mess for years) for nothing but a nice pay rise.

C Smith was extended and talked up by Pay and I think he was a decent kid at the chooks, he’s shown some promise though again he would struggle to make first grade at most clubs and is not paid accordingly with us due to the rabble we where in both on and off the field.

Crichton had a good year at the panthers we poached him and he’s failed to deliver. Wont get that $ again.

While that’s what they are in reality. It’s not what we pay them. Just like jmk and Lewis britt Meaney etc. I mean ffs we pay Napa 650k. Sadly we are coming out from what they eels where when they had a bunch of blokes on way over what they should be and most of them don’t belong in first grade.

Thankfully last season of it!
Source https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/18/christian-crichton-fits-the-bill-for-cap-pressured-bulldogs/
Seriously, please do some research, CCrichton was out of contract at Penrith in 2018 AND, according to some (many of TK), rang Pay and begged for a chance. According to the NRL his contract was around $150k, which included some items not in the cap.

CSmith, 27 years old, played the grand total of 1 NRL game for Penrith and 2 NRL games for the Chooks in 3 years (2015 to 2017). Hardly a regular 1st grader, without injury to those above him would have played about as many for us. That's about as definitive of a back up players as there is.

DBritt, also 27 years old this year, spent most of 2019 (the year before he signed with us) playing for North Sydney and only made NRL appearances for Souths as a result of injuries. He was unsigned by Souths at the end of 2018, much the same as how Melbourne "unsigned" him in 2017 after he played 1 single NRL game for them in the whole season. We signed him for 2 years, hardly a show of confidence, that corresponds with his contract value for a back up player.

You need to keep in mind that 2018/2019/2020 were the 3 years of very restrictive Salary Cap capacity, any players signed by us in that period had to be "value for money".

Go Dogs

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Firstly no the information your talking about was Katoa who called. Not Crichton.

Being out of contract isn’t a reason they take less. It’s no different than cotric joining us when his expired? They explore their options and take their best offer or whatever they deem the best for them which might not always be money but someone like britt and Crichton who had their best seasons and where off the books clearly are taking the $$$...

C Smith was extended not talking about what he did 5 years ago.

Britt again if you watched his football for the bunnies was very good. He didn’t come here for peanuts.

The fact he was a “late bloomer” means nothing. If anything it says he would chase
$ more after putting some good footy together.

There is a reason the media is saying we have 4 mil off the books this coming season. Unless Napa and hoppa are closer to 2mil than 1mil the $ is clearly on the likes of meaney, britt, Lewis, jmk, c smith, Crichton, Katoa, Ogden etc.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Firstly no the information your talking about was Katoa who called. Not Crichton.

Being out of contract isn’t a reason they take less. It’s no different than cotric joining us when his expired? They explore their options and take their best offer or whatever they deem the best for them which might not always be money but someone like britt and Crichton who had their best seasons and where off the books clearly are taking the $$$...

Britt again if you watched his football for the bunnies was very good. He didn’t come here for peanuts.

The fact he was a “late bloomer” means nothing. If anything it says he would chase

There is a reason the media is saying we have 4 mil off the books this coming season. Unless Napa and hoppa are closer to 2mil than 1mil the $ is clearly on the likes of meaney, britt, Lewis, jmk, c smith, Crichton, Katoa, Ogden etc.
Atoni, Crichton, Harding, Hopoate, S. Katoa, T. Katoa, Lewis, JMK, Meaney, Napa, Ogden, Okunbor, Roumanos and Smith all off contract.

Crichton, S. Katoa, Lewis and Napa only players there I'd say are 99% gone.

There are others that are likely/unlikely to be retained (some we haven't even seen). We've also already spent ~1m on JAC and Burton for 22 (550k and 400k respectively).

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

This season reported 19 players (15 NRL + NSWRL + Development) off contract at a reported (according to you) $4m = $211k average each.

Hardly big dollars there.

Go Dogs