News Staggs to test market

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah. Find it a little strange that everyone's pining for another outside back? Spent big money on Cotric & JAC plus added Allen. Surely it's better to invest in a top hooker, prop and ball playing second rower?

I'd put all three of those positions well above the need to sign another back especially at 700k plus!
With JAC and Cotric (I'd play him on the wing) do you really need to fork out huge coin for someone inside them? Honestly someone that can do their job and put JAC into a bit of space is all you need...someone like Staggs inside him could potentially even limit the amount of good ball he gets.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With JAC and Cotric (I'd play him on the wing) do you really need to fork out huge coin for someone inside them? Honestly someone that can do their job and put JAC into a bit of space is all you need...someone like Staggs inside him could potentially even limit the amount of good ball he gets.
I wonder if RFM can create space for JAC the same way K Bromwhich does at Melbourne... Olam is mostly just used as a decoy..

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Disagree.

I also remain somewhat optimistic that Thompson and hetho can be our props and if someone like Renouf kicks on we are not bad there. Add a guler type signing who wouldn’t command half of what Napa’s on and that 300k saved there on hoppa leaves us staggs + 150-200k.

Use that on top jmk and Lewis, part with them and promote/min wage signings and you have b Smith....

Don’t sign a guler type and staggs, b Smith are covered by hoppa,
Napa and Lewis and that’s saying 800ish for staggs and b Smith each which I doubt would be needed totally and certainly not under the cap...

We are just so use to shit rosters people gotta realise the top teams are stacked.

South’s latrell, gagai, Campbell,
Mansour, aj, Reynolds, walker, cook, Murray, arrow.

Raiders, storm, roosters, eels, panthers etc would have same amount of high quality.

Sure some like panthers and raiders have built from kids or minimal recruits. Though eels are basically same boat we are. Rebuilding with a few big names and going from there.

Anyway fick I hope we get him
Haha also agree b Smith as 9 is the top priority though if staggs is there and interested don’t fick about. Sign him figure out the rest after

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep and that’s fine (b Smith if signed would be similar) other 3 Aren’t worth it and by time they are able To command it as I said Jackson, Dwz etc off.

Anyway will see.

Arguably best centre in game. Young. Only thing against him is the injury. Will get that $700k easy. We have hoppa on 6ish for sure. Napa’s on 650k.... ffs holland was 400k (yes old shit management) though point is plenty of clubs would jump at him and he’s worth 7 easy in my books.

Let’s see. All I know is if we land staggs and b Smith I won’t have body fluids left after the jac one.

Even one and I’ll probably need to ice my balls.
Where did you see Holland was on 400k?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Where did you see Holland was on 400k?
Sadly that’s not made up. He was thank fucj that’s over. Thanks Dessie.

Don’t get me wrong not a good example.

Just saying if someone like hoppa was on 8 and now around 6 it shows staggs value is more.

Again Crichton went from 5 before he established what he is at end of year to 7.

Staggs is the one centre I’d say is worth more than Crichton and potentially to me with Joseph manu the only better centre in the game.

That said staggs is able to explode any second and at 22 I’d fucking love to see him long term blue and white.

Manu no chance.
Crichton stays I say.

Go hard for the nsw kid. If we part with hoppa (harsh but we should be) it’s the perfect move!

Allan
Jac
Staggs
Cotric
Dwz/okonbor
Burton
Flanagan
Thompson
B Smith
Hetho
Rfm
Jacko
Elliott

Jake
Renouf
Waddel/stimson
Doorey/topine

[emoji533][emoji533][emoji533][emoji533][emoji533][emoji533][emoji533][emoji533]

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Staggs is such a dynamic ball runner, but if his injuries slow him up he's destined for an edge forward role.
There's no doubt he's an athletic freak, but 700k is too much considering our backline and the risk of him coming off an acl and losing a couple of yards of pace.
It will depend a lot on the juniors coming thru in those positions, how they progress is imperative to how we manage our cap.
Schoupp and Alamoti in the centres, Topine and Doorey as edge forwards, if those blokes kick onto being quality first graders then spending 700k on Staggs when we could spend it on a Brandon Smith, Cam McInnes or Crichton (Angus or Stephen) seems like a waste of money.
In saying that, if we sign the toe sucker I won't be upset.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I wonder if RFM can create space for JAC the same way K Bromwhich does at Melbourne... Olam is mostly just used as a decoy..
RFM needs to learn that there's players on his outside, he has legit be traumatised ever since he threw that offload against I think Parra that was intercepted...Pay probably hit him with the "run hard, tackle hard" speech after that :tearsofjoy:

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should we worried about that ACL injury though in regards to his pace/acceleration?

Where’s that figure come from? I doubt he’s on much more that 300k right now
He on over 500 atm

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The salary cap was just dropped by 6% so $700k is an even bigger chunk of coin moving forward. So $700k is a massive luxury in anything but a creative position that will benefit several other positions.

Ideally if we were to chase him we'd be able to offer about $500k in cap money and bolster it with third party sponsorships somehow or other. If the reports of JAC on somewhere around $500k a season are true then Staggs should be somewhere close to that. I tend not to give much credit to media reports of salaries. But in this case I would imagine both Staggs and JAC could attract some decent third party sponsorships.

If Burton and Flanagan step up and produce, we'll need to upgrade/extend their contracts eventually. The best bet would be to do so before they're on the market to keep them happy. As much as I'd like Staggs, I'd much prefer we keep a strong halves pairing that can create opportunities for a handful of support players than to splash out huge on someone that may offer individual brilliance from time to time.

There are good players stuck behind established stars. I think that once we've got our key positions sorted out we're going to need to focus on finding some unpolished diamonds that just need to be in better systems to shine. Being able to excel at this requires a strong spine.

It's hardly a secret that Melbourne have managed to get the best out of "good enough" players by focusing their cap on a great creative core. Comparatively Brisbane this year had a pretty strong backline that was capable of good things on their day, but ultimately let down by having to rely on that too often because their spine wasn't superb.

I won't complain if we sign Staggs and I seldom question the salaries our players are on. It seems like a pointless thing to do since it'd just frustrate me. So I'd be equally as happy if we managed to pick up someone that wasn't quite as high profile that can benefit from a group of playmakers that offer frequent attacking opportunities to lesser rated players.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd be re-signing Hopoate and/or moving DWZ on so we can play one of Averillo, Schoupp or Alamoti in the centres in the future. We need to buy players in positions that aren't going to block the pathways of our most promising players. I want us to sign a top hooker and prop before signing a centre (do we even have salary cap space left after doing so?). We've already signed 2 backs on big money (Staggs 700k long term vs Hopoate 400k short term is what we have to weigh up). Similar to Crichton, if we were to sign Staggs I wouldn't complain, I'm just not sure if it's the best thing for the make-up of the team and retaining players in the future.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Our backrowers centres and wingers have crowded each other out for years now because of an obvious lack of crisp service, trying to put plays on without momentum and poor structure and timing.

Even if Barrett corrects alot of this I still think we will be even better serviced with a quality threat at hooker and a prop to get us on the front foot.

Having said that, Staggs has all the appearance of a once in a generation type of player. But his influence is limited to the space those on the inside create for him.

If we can land him for 550-600k, happy days. But I would still target a hooker, prop and a genuine threat at second row before a strike centre.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
We need another really strong centre... stagg is unstoppable near the try line. There’s no hookers on the market till 2022... and with the 4 million we have next year we can buy stagg and two hookers!!!..

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well that's slightly concerning about the ACL did not know he has undergone a reco, that warrants a discount imo..see what happens in the next couple of weeks maybe we sign him and Brandon..am not against signing him for fair money.

Reckon he would be great knee issue aside but dont think we want to buy a gun centre who will need to transition into the forwards sooner rather than later ffs..if we're buying a gun centre we should get one suited to that position for years to come.
I also dont think we need to sign another prop reckon some of our boys will fire up this year with Hetherington to lead the charge.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Should we worried about that ACL injury though in regards to his pace/acceleration?

Where’s that figure come from? I doubt he’s on much more that 300k right now
Have to agree with Kiwi Dog.......Staggs is still recovering from an achilles injury and untested as a result......Sure he had the goods before the injury, but does the club spend $700k+ on a player that we have not been able to see in action post his injury. Perhaps towards the end of next season we will have a better idea. I know that this will not sit comfortably with many on TK, but we still need to spend our funds wisely.........If we proceed then any contract must have strong conditions placed on it......

Last edited:

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
I believe we absolutely can for someone like staggs.

Two straight forward reasons.

Hoppa and meaney out.

Staggs, minimum in.

Another view, hoppa last year now. Dwz next. That’s 1.3ish right there. Staggs + 500k? That’s Jacs reported figure so we can get a winger plus $$$ aside for wherever.

B Smith in. Napa and Lewis out. Minimum wage to even roster.

Jmk, britt, c Smith out. A decent prop and some depth signings back in.

It is all workable which makes sense why old mate said Arthur said it and to be honest if you want to go through our roster and be honest for contending with a title those 2 (b Smith, staggs) are a huge step. With them I have no doubt top 4 with jac cotric burton flano Allan Thomson etc etc.

Fucking love him at 700-800k and genuinely believe worth it.
You are travelling pretty well there mate. By my account you have 8 players out and 3 new players + some depth players. That looks like an additional 5 depth players to keep our numbers up. At an average of $200k per player that still equates to an additional $1Million and soon has an effect on the entire team balance .........50-60% of our cap tied up in perhaps 10 players........not too smart in my opinion.....

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
RFM needs to learn that there's players on his outside, he has legit be traumatised ever since he threw that offload against I think Parra that was intercepted...Pay probably hit him with the "run hard, tackle hard" speech after that :tearsofjoy:
RFM had his offload coached out of him. When he first came over from the Warriors he had a nice soft offload