News Josh Addo-Carr contract: Bulldogs emerge as favourite for Storm flyer

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All this talk about the Storm not releasing JAC without a suitable replacement doesn't really leave me thinking that Grant or B. Smith will be released without a fight.
Did anyone see Grant's latest interview on Fox...
He was nervous and awkwardly answering questions about the possibility of leaving Melbourne but one thing he said stood out " The players like playing with B. Smith everyone likes playing with him "
Is it an indication of good things to happen ???

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Funniest thing is he is so desperate to get rid of Hoppa is probably his harshest critic, and yet is perfectly fine with Lewis, LOL. If you dare be critical of Lewis you are nothing but a "sheep".
I honestly see Hoppa as a consistently solid player who has occasional patches of great form which generate more hype about him than is deserved. If he had those form patches twice as often I'd be willing to jump on his hype train more willingly. But a lot of the time I see him playing well below what I think he's capable of.

On Lewis, I think it goes the other way. He cops way more criticism than is deserved. I think a lot of his errors come about because he's not willing to coast. I don't think he's a world beater, but he tries consistently to be his best. Hopefully with our new coaching roster we can see him develop his skills a bit more.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did anyone see Grant's latest interview on Fox...
He was nervous and awkwardly answering questions about the possibility of leaving Melbourne but one thing he said stood out " The players like playing with B. Smith everyone likes playing with him "
Is it an indication of good things to happen ???
I didn't watch it. But I'll keep my expectations about signing either of them in check. It's easy to read more into a player's demeanour in an interview than is there. I've got little doubt that Grant has had better financial offers thrown at him than he's contracted for at Melbourne though. So I'd assume that the thought of taking a payday has been on his mind.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I honestly see Hoppa as a consistently solid player who has occasional patches of great form which generate more hype about him than is deserved. If he had those form patches twice as often I'd be willing to jump on his hype train more willingly. But a lot of the time I see him playing well below what I think he's capable of.

On Lewis, I think it goes the other way. He cops way more criticism than is deserved. I think a lot of his errors come about because he's not willing to coast. I don't think he's a world beater, but he tries consistently to be his best. Hopefully with our new coaching roster we can see him develop his skills a bit more.
Sorry mate can't agree on Lewis. He is beyond awful in my opinion and I think we've seen what we need to from him, I doubt he gets any better.

I hope he does develop because he is still a dogs player, but I wont be holding my breath.

The fact that we're going for Flanagan and Burton suggests the new coach doesn't think much of him either.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
CAN HOPPA PLAY HOOKER?!

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Lewis problem is he has a poor attitude and thinks he is better than he is.
He is not well liked by his team mates for that reason.
He had has been sacked every year, that says enough

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry mate can't agree on Lewis. He is beyond awful in my opinion and I think we've seen what we need to from him, I doubt he gets any better.

I hope he does develop because he is still a dogs player, but I wont be holding my breath.

The fact that we're going for Flanagan and Burton suggests the new coach doesn't think much of him either.
I don't expect complete agreement on Lewis. He's given me facepalm moments too. I just don't think the level of criticism is justified. People love a scapegoat though.

There's a real possibility that Flanagan and Burton won't end up here. We may well be seeing a lot of Lewis next year. He only has to impress the coaching staff to get the chance to win a place in the side. None of our opinions are valid when weighed against the opinions of those who make the decisions. Even Bellamy reputedly thought highly enough of him to chase him.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lewis problem is he has a poor attitude and thinks he is better than he is.
He is not well liked by his team mates for that reason.
He had has been sacked every year, that says enough
I'm not going to spend the rest of the day trying to change people's opinions on any particular player. I don't know what his team mates think of him. But I can understand why people might see him maintaining an optimistic outlook publicly as him having a high opinion of himself.

In the end, he has to impress the coaches, not you or me. He's managed that so far.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't expect complete agreement on Lewis. He's given me facepalm moments too. I just don't think the level of criticism is justified. People love a scapegoat though.

There's a real possibility that Flanagan and Burton won't end up here. We may well be seeing a lot of Lewis next year. He only has to impress the coaching staff to get the chance to win a place in the side. None of our opinions are valid when weighed against the opinions of those who make the decisions. Even Bellamy reputedly thought highly enough of him to chase him.
youre a very smart man, i quite enjoy your posts
but you are very wrong on lewis, another park footballer who somehow slipped the cracks and punched his way through to the only NRL team that he could possibly play for the 2018-2020 Bulldogs

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are in the box seat tbh, they need 2 wingers jac and vinivalu gone, we are cashed up, other clubs need to move players on.meaney remis dwz okonbor im sure bellamy would take any of those guys , i reckon remis will go if any

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
youre a very smart man, i quite enjoy your posts
but you are very wrong on lewis, another park footballer who somehow slipped the cracks and punched his way through to the only NRL team that he could possibly play for the 2018-2020 Bulldogs
Appreciate the compliment. If he fades out of NRL contention I won't cry. But many saw him as the saviour and future of our team based on his first few games a few years ago. No doubt the disappointment that he hasn't lived up to the initial hype shapes many opinions now.

It could happen to Averillo if he's less than exceptional next year. Wakeham has already developed some critics for not living up to the hype. We might see him copping the same levels of criticism if he doesn't have a good season next year.

My main point being that in spite of what we all think, it's the selection committee he has to impress.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not going to spend the rest of the day trying to change people's opinions on any particular player. I don't know what his team mates think of him. But I can understand why people might see him maintaining an optimistic outlook publicly as him having a high opinion of himself.

In the end, he has to impress the coaches, not you or me. He's managed that so far.
That's true, but the ones he impressed have also been sacked and let go. I don't like his chances impressing Barrett, with the level of skill he has shown so far.

Even if he does, its so obvious he's on borrowed time until we finally land new halves. Hopefully one gets done for next year and another for the next.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate the compliment. If he fades out of NRL contention I won't cry. But many saw him as the saviour and future of our team based on his first few games a few years ago. No doubt the disappointment that he hasn't lived up to the initial hype shapes many opinions now.

It could happen to Averillo if he's less than exceptional next year. Wakeham has already developed some critics for not living up to the hype. We might see him copping the same levels of criticism if he doesn't have a good season next year.

My main point being that in spite of what we all think, it's the selection committee he has to impress.
I think the big problem with both Lewis and Wakeham is that they lack the speed or power to challenge the line. When they have the ball the defence knows they are not a running threat. I would think if you checked their stats they would be lucky to have made any line breaks in their career.

Now there are some halves that can still manage a first grade career without a running threat but their passing and kicking games have to be absolutely spot on. This is not the case with either of these blokes unfortunately.

One thing Averillo has going for him is leg speed. He would definitely possess a running threat to the opposition.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think the big problem with both Lewis and Wakeham is that they lack the speed or power to challenge the line. When they have the ball the defence knows they are not a running threat. I would think if you checked their stats they would be lucky to have made any line breaks in their career.

Now there are some halves that can still manage a first grade career without a running threat but their passing and kicking games have to be absolutely spot on. This is not the case with either of these blokes unfortunately.

One thing Averillo has going for him is leg speed. He would definitely possess a running threat to the opposition.
spot on lewis is a turtle, but his main problem is he has no vision, his only try assists have been off set plays. i cant recall him ever setting up a try playing eyes up footy

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it comes to a choice between Grant and B Smith, I'm sure Melbourne will choose Grant. Smith is a great player with lots of talents, but Grant will slot straight into C Smith's role and guide the team for the next 10 years plus. A this stage I still expect they'll keep both because of Smiths versatility.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If it comes to a choice between Grant and B Smith, I'm sure Melbourne will choose Grant. Smith is a great player with lots of talents, but Grant will slot straight into Smith's role and guide the team for the next 10 years plus. A this stage I still expect they'll keep both because of Smiths versatility.
If C. Smith retires the only reason why they don't keep both is if B. Smith wants to play hooker and they can also only offer Grant big money imo, not B. Smith as well. We can offer both Grant and B. Smith top hooker money (also there's no way the Titans can afford either of them so I hope we stop seeing that link, I'd say Tigers are almost in the same boat too).