News Matt Burton, Charlie Staines in Bulldogs’ sights as $800m pub baron joins chase

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair chance some brown paper bags will be left behind lol
This is a ridiculous statement, they leave club sports bags behind theses days & stuff the cash inside the supporter gear.
The Roosters have been doing this for years as it seems a normal thing when an athlete carries a sports bag.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
he should have put in more than $0 if he wanted to be a part of things this season

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this guy is a clown and bad news. if $500k is all he is paying that is PEANUTS . Plus he seems like a flog , who likes the sound of his voice in the media and drum himself publicity . We don’t want to hear from sponsor , we want to hear from people in the club
‘also wtf is a sponsor going to the players to sign them up, that is a board and recruitment team employed by the club job!
also he is a tool for publicising that he is going to go and see them, grade A flog , what happens if they refuse to sign , club look like dickheads just like the tigers with their public persuit of latrell
Disagree...

I want someone who's not as restricted by the nrl red tape to do what the club can't do.

Let him talk to players and their families whilst they are still under contract cause the club 8snt allowed to.

Also if we get shafted by the refs or nrl I hope he sings to the media and tells our side whilst plugging his own interests, he's not bound by the "shut your pie hole" rules that the nrl have set for clubs.

I hope he brings such presence that the nrl start walking on eggshells around him.

At this stage it looks like he's just what we need.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is $500k a year it is a pathetic deal and I stand by that.
I got no idea if this sponsorship is going to be a good or a bad one, & based on $500k per season it may be questionable.

BUT - Having a business man with access & ownership of so much "CASH MONEY" through his pub tills every day, me thinks that the reported $500k is what's on the books - the other $500k for example just might be going through the back door as is the set up with Uncle Nick at the Roosters. And don't think it doesn't happen because certainly at the Roosters it does.... that's a fact. Everybody knows it, everybody jokes about it, but no one messes with Uncle Nick because he is so heavily invested in so many businesses that he has so much power & power of sway - that is invaluable!!!

So, on the following 2 basis I would say that the partnership is definitely worth a shot -

-We had no body wanting to sponsor us & $500k a year is better than $000k

-It also seems this guy genuinely loves the club, so much so that he is willing to jump in the car on 10 hour round trip to visit the people of these players that matter most. Surely this guys free time he is committing to the club has to be worth something.

SO

FOR NOW I would say that the Roosters have got Uncle Nick-

AND I'm happy to have an uncle of our own-

"UNCLE ARTHUR".......................... WELCOME!!!

Last edited:

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think this guy is a clown and bad news. if $500k is all he is paying that is PEANUTS . Plus he seems like a flog , who likes the sound of his voice in the media and drum himself publicity . We don’t want to hear from sponsor , we want to hear from people in the club
‘also wtf is a sponsor going to the players to sign them up, that is a board and recruitment team employed by the club job!
also he is a tool for publicising that he is going to go and see them, grade A flog , what happens if they refuse to sign , club look like dickheads just like the tigers with their public persuit of latrell
Finally get our own Uncle Nick doing what Uncle Nick does best and we get posts like this, Worst post I've seen on here in the last 10 years.

He should be going around to every player we need saying you'll get a $250k promotion job through whatever pub is local to their family for signing with us.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Finally get our own Uncle Nick doing what Uncle Nick does best and we get posts like this, Worst post I've seen on here in the last 10 years.

He should be going around to every player we need saying you'll get a $250k promotion job through whatever pub is local to their family for signing with us.
Let's wait to see what he can do before calling him a Nick Politis.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got no idea if this sponsorship is going to be a good or a bad one, & based on $500k per season it may be questionable.

BUT - Having a business man with access & ownership of so much "CASH MONEY" through his pub tills every day, me thinks that the reported $500k is what's on the books - the other $500k for example just might be going through the back door as is the set up with Uncle Nick at the Roosters. And don't think it doesn't happen because certainly at the Roosters it does.... that's a fact. Everybody knows it, everybody jokes about it, but no one messes with Uncle Nick because he is so heavily invested in so many businesses that he has so much power & power of sway - that is invaluable!!!

So, on the following 2 basis I would say that the partnership is definitely worth a shot -

-We had no body wanting to sponsor us & $500k a year is better than $000k

-It also seems this guy genuinely loves the club, so much so that he is willing to jump in the car on 10 hour round trip to visit the people of these players that matter most. Surely this guys free time he is committing to the club has to be worth something.

SO

FOR NOW I would say that the Roosters have got Uncle Nick-

AND I'm happy to have an uncle of our own-

"UNCLE ARTHUR".......................... WELCOME!!!
Of course if it turns out like Politis and the Roosters we will all be laughing but there’s never any certainty with things like this. Remember Tinkler at the Knights it was a disaster and there’s plenty of examples in American sports too. It’s very early days and Laundy is talking a big game I want nothing more then for him to walk to talk but until I start seeing results I’m skeptical.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What if the deal was $500k for jersey sponsor and $500k to use as 3rd party top ups?
Would it still be a pathetic deal?
It would be the dumbest deal ever because a direct sponsor can’t do 3rd parties.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

uncle nick is chairman of rooster FYI , not a sponsor who is in papers of doing recruitment
last time the dogs had a sponsor who loved to be in media , how did that work out , if I recall (could be wrong as long time ago) was upset the club didn’t liase with him in a certain matter and made Big song and dance when didn’t renew sponsorship .
how did it work for rugby union listening to Qantas on foloau matter , had to settle with Folau and no longer a sponsor

a sponsor pays to get exposure with association of the club , not act or try make decisions and publicise it to gather additional exposure . If he wants to be active , join the board and run the club

hope you bookmark this thread for when this eventually goes sour

also I would love to know , who will you all blame about ineptness and how crap the joint is if these two guys don’t sign and stay at the panthers , the club or the sponsor

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Perhaps you should consider the constraints of being in the NRL bubble.....

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love this story as it shows initiative by Laundy. He said he was going to do stuff like this and he seems to be putting his money where his mouth is.

I'm not sure about visiting the parents though as I don't know what that's going to accomplish (how many young men are going to choose a club based on the advice of their parents). Might have more luck talking to the player's partners instead

The fact that Hill has already had a meeting with them is a great sign because if they weren't interested in leaving, why would they take the meeting? Yes they could be trying to squeeze more money out of Penrith, but you don't really need to have a face to face meeting to do that. It seems to show genuine interest or at least a willingness to listen.

I'm not too fussed about the sponsorship amount as Laundy's role in helping us sign gun players is MUCH more important. Would we rather have Laundy paying $2M a year with a crap squad or a $500K a year deal with a good squad. Burton and Staines would give us (half) a gun spine for the next decade.

People say the admin should be signing players but at the Rorters and Souffs, it's Politis and Crowe that negotiate with the gun players so Laundy is doing the same thing. For some reason a billionaire/celebrity has more clout with the players than a club official has - go figure.
Their gorlfriends are probably ditzy 18 year olds. What would that achieve? Lol

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their gorlfriends are probably ditzy 18 year olds. What would that achieve? Lol
Yeah I know but I was just saying that they're more likely to listen to their girlfriends than their parents.
If Mum says stay at Penrith but the gf wants him to sign with the Dogs, most horny young blokes would be listening to their gf

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I know but I was just saying that they're more likely to listen to their girlfriends than their parents.
If Mum says stay at Penrith but the gf wants him to sign with the Dogs, most horny young blokes would be listening to their gf
I think most down to earth country boys would absolutely listen to their parents!!! The parents are the ones that dedicate their weekends to driving their boys to games all over the place and make many sacrifices so that their kids will have the success they crave. If these young guys don't listen to their parents then they are fucking chumps!

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
uncle nick is chairman of rooster FYI , not a sponsor who is in papers of doing recruitment
last time the dogs had a sponsor who loved to be in media , how did that work out , if I recall (could be wrong as long time ago) was upset the club didn’t liase with him in a certain matter and made Big song and dance when didn’t renew sponsorship .
how did it work for rugby union listening to Qantas on foloau matter , had to settle with Folau and no longer a sponsor

a sponsor pays to get exposure with association of the club , not act or try make decisions and publicise it to gather additional exposure . If he wants to be active , join the board and run the club

hope you bookmark this thread for when this eventually goes sour

also I would love to know , who will you all blame about ineptness and how crap the joint is if these two guys don’t sign and stay at the panthers , the club or the sponsor
FYI

Uncle Nick is responsible for the first ever front of jersey sponsorship deal that ever existed in Australian Rugby League

City Ford on front of the Roosters jumper.

Uncle Nick was, and I believe still is , the owner of a plethora of Car dealer ships.

So sponsorship is how Uncle Nick first got involved.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't need too.
What I said was, in reply to someone genuinely questioning how the dogs could talk to him with the NRL anti poaching rules in place, was they are going to send in an agent by proxy that is not in the Dogs football department to do the bidding.

I assumed that it would be someone on the Coorey side, but I had my doubts given the anymosity atm.

We now know that the agent is now Laundy.

This is the plan I detailed.
Fucking ban this flog already

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Of course if it turns out like Politis and the Roosters we will all be laughing but there’s never any certainty with things like this. Remember Tinkler at the Knights it was a disaster and there’s plenty of examples in American sports too. It’s very early days and Laundy is talking a big game I want nothing more then for him to walk to talk but until I start seeing results I’m skeptical.
I wouldn’t compare Laundy and Tinkler.
Laundy is a genuinely successful businessman who’s stuck to the knitting and built an empire over many years through hard work and yes, probably a little luck. Tinkler was a flash in the pan tycoon who tried to build an empire on his shares in Whitehaven Coal - a house of cards that crumbled very quickly. The two are night and day.