News Matt Burton, Charlie Staines in Bulldogs’ sights as $800m pub baron joins chase

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
FYI

Uncle Nick is responsible for the first ever front of jersey sponsorship deal that ever existed in Australian Rugby League

City Ford on front of the Roosters jumper.

Uncle Nick was, and I believe still is , the owner of a plethora of Car dealer ships.

So sponsorship is how Uncle Nick first got involved.
Correct. Got involved in the Chooks in the mid-70’s sponsor wise. Didn’t become Chair until about 1993.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
FYI

Uncle Nick is responsible for the first ever front of jersey sponsorship deal that ever existed in Australian Rugby League

Uncle Nick was, and I believe still is , the owner of a plethora of Car dealer ships.

Exactly this

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t compare Laundy and Tinkler.
Laundy is a genuinely successful businessman who’s stuck to the knitting and built an empire over many years through hard work and yes, probably a little luck. Tinkler was a flash in the pan tycoon who tried to build an empire on his shares in Whitehaven Coal - a house of cards that crumbled very quickly. The two are night and day.
I’m not comparing the two personally just saying it’s a example of something like this going pear shaped that had big dreams at the start of the partnership. It’s never a sure thing that it will be successful.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
FYI

He's a decent shareholder in a massive group of car dealerships these days.

Love or hate him he's a very smart operator. He's a similar age to Laundy senior but begun his involvement as a much younger man with a true passion for that club.

I don't think us or any other club will be able to emulate what he's done for the roosters tbh.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I got no idea if this sponsorship is going to be a good or a bad one, & based on $500k per season it may be questionable.

BUT - Having a business man with access & ownership of so much "CASH MONEY" through his pub tills every day, me thinks that the reported $500k is what's on the books - the other $500k for example just might be going through the back door as is the set up with Uncle Nick at the Roosters. And don't think it doesn't happen because certainly at the Roosters it does.... that's a fact. Everybody knows it, everybody jokes about it, but no one messes with Uncle Nick because he is so heavily invested in so many businesses that he has so much power & power of sway - that is invaluable!!!

So, on the following 2 basis I would say that the partnership is definitely worth a shot -

-We had no body wanting to sponsor us & $500k a year is better than $000k

-It also seems this guy genuinely loves the club, so much so that he is willing to jump in the car on 10 hour round trip to visit the people of these players that matter most. Surely this guys free time he is committing to the club has to be worth something.

SO

FOR NOW I would say that the Roosters have got Uncle Nick-

AND I'm happy to have an uncle of our own-

"UNCLE ARTHUR".......................... WELCOME!!!
LolScreenshot_20200927-171131_Google.jpg

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not comparing the two personally just saying it’s a example of something like this going pear shaped that had big dreams at the start of the partnership. It’s never a sure thing that it will be successful.
Sure, but Arthur isn’t a show pony, nor does he get involved with things he doesn’t want to or genuinely believe he can make a difference. I’d say the chances of this being a successful partnership are greater than not, but yes, the proof is in the pudding.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sure, but Arthur isn’t a show pony, nor does he get involved with things he doesn’t want to or genuinely believe he can make a difference. I’d say the chances of this being a successful partnership are greater than not, but yes, the proof is in the pudding.
Of course but he has no experience in football admin he even admitted that himself. Look at Politis it took him years to get the Chooks to where they are. I think people are kidding themselves if they think he’s going to step in and be some massive source of TPA’s straight away. I’m sure that there will be benefits for the club out of getting him on board but it will be baby steps at the minute.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Of course but he has no experience in football admin he even admitted that himself. Look at Politis it took him years to get the Chooks to where they are. I think people are kidding themselves if they think he’s going to step in and be some massive source of TPA’s straight away. I’m sure that there will be benefits for the club out of getting him on board but it will be baby steps at the minute.
I’ve made no comment about TPA’s or being some ‘saviour’ of sorts and his role won’t be football admin - that’s Hill’s job. Arthur will be more a club ambassador. What I’m simply saying is that a major sponsor who puts in more than money and builds relationships with the families of potential recruits because he believes in the plan for the club is a better thing to have in our armoury than not.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes. I’ve made no comment about TPA’s or being some ‘saviour’ of sorts. What I’m simply saying is that a major sponsor who puts in more than money and builds relationships with the families of potential recruits because he believes in the plan for the club is a better thing to have in our armoury than not.
Yeah I think that’s stating the obvious.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then why talk it down like it’s destined for failure? Can’t have it both ways.
Where have I said it destined to be a failure? I’m just skeptical about it at this stage all we have heard so far is Stu wanted SBW and Arthur is going bush for the week to chat to some recruits. I know it’s not coming from the club directly but they have said plenty of things over the past few years and haven’t delivered on them so I’ll just see what happens.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Where have I said it destined to be a failure? I’m just skeptical about it at this stage all we have heard so far is Stu wanted SBW and Arthur is going bush for the week to chat to some recruits. I know it’s not coming from the club directly but they have said plenty of things over the past few years and haven’t delivered on them so I’ll just see what happens.
OK. Stu/SBW was nonsense though. What have the club said and not delivered on out of interest?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK. Stu/SBW was nonsense though. What have the club said and not delivered on out of interest?
Goes all the way back to the 2 premierships by 2020 and at AGM’s when they have talked a big game about upcoming seasons.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Goes all the way back to the 2 premierships by 2020 and at AGM’s when they have talked a big game about upcoming seasons.
Yes, Hasler did say two premierships by 2019.
What was silly about that was even if it was an internal goal or KPI for Hasler, it shouldn’t have been part of the public mantra. That to me was representative of Castle’s ‘leadership’ though.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, Hasler did say two premierships by 2019.
What was silly about that was even if it was an internal goal or KPI for Hasler, it shouldn’t have been part of the mantra. That to me was representative of Castle’s ‘leadership’ though.
It will be nice when the club starts delivering hopefully it’s not too far away.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It will be nice when the club starts delivering hopefully it’s not too far away.
I think we’re on track with the cap mess sorted as stated in 2018 and a good chunk of old furniture left at the kerb for pickup. A couple of quality signings for 2021 coupled with good ongoing planning and better times should not be too far away.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He's a decent shareholder in a massive group of car dealerships these days.

Love or hate him he's a very smart operator. He's a similar age to Laundy senior but begun his involvement as a much younger man with a true passion for that club.

I don't think us or any other club will be able to emulate what he's done for the roosters tbh.
Our best bet would have been a Salim Mehajar. Young businessman with brains and business nous who could build us over many years to come.
Except he's been dodgy and has run afoot of the law.

Could have been our own Uncle Nick.