News Matt Burton, Charlie Staines in Bulldogs’ sights as $800m pub baron joins chase

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hotel tycoon Arthur Laundy is heading bush next weekend on a 900km mission to sign two of rugby league’s most exciting youngsters.

The man who owns 72 pubs and is worth $833 million, will visit the parents of Penrith Panthers star rookie discoveries Matt Burton in Dubbo and Charlie Staines in Forbes.

Laundy, 79, recently signed as the major sponsor of the under-siege Canterbury Bulldogs and is determined to help new coach Trent Barrett turn the club back into a NRL powerhouse like the old days.

While most wealthy businessman of his stature spend weekends on their luxury yachts or at expensive restaurants, Laundy will do the long road trip with his son, Craig, the former politician and minister in Malcolm Turnbull’s Liberal Party. Such is his passion for the Doggies.

“My interest in getting involved with the Bulldogs goes far beyond financial,” Laundy said. “I’m keen to mentor and help all our playing roster, new and existing.

“I want us to be a great family club like the old days — and I want these young lads and their families to know that.

“I believe I can offer good advice with life off the footy field.”

Laundy already plays a mentoring role with young sports stars who include GWS Giants AFL star Toby Greene.

He has also had a close association with highly regarded Titans coach Justin Holbrook.

Laundy will be following up on a recent visit made by Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill to the homes of the Panthers five-eighth and winger to sell the Canterbury Bulldogs’ story.

Staines is the rookie who burst into first grade earlier this year with a stunning four-try performance against the Cronulla Sharks.

Burton has had little game time this year, stuck behind the premiership’s form halves combination — Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai.

Both are not off contract until 2022 but the Panthers may consider early releases to help the club upgrade the contracts of the current players who have taken them to the minor premiership.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hotel tycoon Arthur Laundy is heading bush next weekend on a 900km mission to sign two of rugby league’s most exciting youngsters.

The man who owns 72 pubs and is worth $833 million, will visit the parents of Penrith Panthers star rookie discoveries Matt Burton in Dubbo and Charlie Staines in Forbes.

Laundy, 79, recently signed as the major sponsor of the under-siege Canterbury Bulldogs and is determined to help new coach Trent Barrett turn the club back into a NRL powerhouse like the old days.

While most wealthy businessman of his stature spend weekends on their luxury yachts or at expensive restaurants, Laundy will do the long road trip with his son, Craig, the former politician and minister in Malcolm Turnbull’s Liberal Party. Such is his passion for the Doggies.

“My interest in getting involved with the Bulldogs goes far beyond financial,” Laundy said. “I’m keen to mentor and help all our playing roster, new and existing.

“I want us to be a great family club like the old days — and I want these young lads and their families to know that.

Laundy already plays a mentoring role with young sports stars who include GWS Giants AFL star Toby Greene.

He has also had a close association with highly regarded Titans coach Justin Holbrook.

Laundy will be following up on a recent visit made by Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill to the homes of the Panthers five-eighth and winger to sell the Canterbury Bulldogs’ story.

Staines is the rookie who burst into first grade earlier this year with a stunning four-try performance against the Cronulla Sharks.

Burton has had little game time this year, stuck behind the premiership’s form halves combination — Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai.

Both are not off contract until 2022 but the Panthers may consider early releases to help the club upgrade the contracts of the current players who have taken them to the minor premiership.

Get it done Mr. Laundy!!!!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
And people doubt my oil.
I told you two months ago we were chasing Burton by proxy. And you thought I was lying because of nrl rules.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
We're are all the 'Nasheed has bullshit oil' crowd now.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he is persuasive...
Would be an unreal outcome for the club if he can pull something like this off

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Hang on, wasn’t it a bad sponsorship experts?