Opinion Has Thompson been a flop or does he need better halves to work with?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I haven’t been overly impressed, he was the next big thing, but is just as ordinary as the rest.!! Don’t even really notice him and he’s not a standout. But hey who knows how it will play out in 2021.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This place is hilarious and super hypercritical after a loss...seriously, If anyone wants a good laugh, jump on the kennel after a heavy defeat and listen to fans coming up with some ridiculous sh!t.

thompson was all the rage since coming across and in one flogging later, Thompson is on a list of “is he a flop or not” with some actually calling him a flop.

The team as a whole played poorly and they failed to match the intensity of Melbourne and were terrible in defence.

Thompson takes hit ups hard to the line and very rarely ends up on his back often finding his front.
With a better spine and more help up front, you will find his value shining through. You can’t expect to see a prop playing lock being a game changer, but he does have some mongrel about him and he does everything at full tilt. He’s been a good buy.

Fans just need to be patient, the momentum change for the club starts from 2021.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Put him in the Roosters and he would look like a gun, our side lacks any go forward on quick play the ball for any sort of platform to work off. Why the so called coach dropped Renouf is beyond me as he actually had an impact, the sooner this season ends the better.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be honest haven’t seen anything to suggest to me this guy any different to what we already have. I mean seeing his highlights over in the SL compared to what I’ve seen so far him playing here is 2 different cats...
Laugh reacts only boys

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sign Jack Hetherington he will be suspended but will make the new guys follow when he’s out there he leads for others to follow. Tolman doesn’t inspire and lead in the field his legs are done. There are still one maybe two mongrel forwards lacking with Hetherington. But he’s the start

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can you genuinely say anyone has been consistently better?

They've all been shit. Thompson's been the best of the bad bunch.
He has been solid, but nowhere near our top 3 since he joined. I think uou want him to be great and judge him accordingly.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With all due respect,the people around him are that bad,it’s really hard to judge him,the team he played with in super league would thrash our side,fair dinkum this current side would finish mid table Canterbury cup if it was still going,complete broom needs to b put through our team,it is terrible
Can yoy please, please learn how to use fullstops!!!!

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We have no choice but to use him wrong which we are. As Tolman doesn’t inspire and has no leg speed. If you short like Tolman you need leg speed and some footwork. He posses none. He’s a great club man. But he’s not who he was and is finished unfortunately

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
never ran as hard today with the ball, was good in defence, like he's a legs tackler and not one of these players dancing around holding their torso

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been underwhelmed by Thompson. He’s a decent enough player but hasn’t lived up to the hype. There were suggestions he was the best forward in the world. Wouldn’t be in the top 20

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in the UK and support the side Tommo played at, hes a very good forward, however in a side where no other forward is making metres and a shit 9 , hes not going to be anywhere near as effective, hes used to playing in an actual good side, see the best of Thompson when we actually buy some decent players to back him up

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our backs don't get our sets rolling so our forwards get dominated. Our dummy half JMK is absolute rubbish, he doesn't pass flat so we lose ground in sets. We are a slow thick team, no speed and zero pressure forcing repeat sets with the new 6 again rule.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The first couple of games he played for us that was the real Thompson but like I said he would be dragged into the losing culture and it would sap his energy.

We have a loser culture and players have been told they are no longer required, it's a mess at the moment.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm confident Thompson will turn it around. In reality it's only his 5th NRL game. But I'd like to see more of the aggression and attacking ability that he showed for St.Helens and England.

He's been very passive since the first game and I worry the losing mentality of the team and the way he's being misused is affecting him...

Either way, he needs to lift and do more when on the field and the coaching staff need to utilise him better and play him close to 80 minutes.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
I honestly think he should have started his journey with us in November, coming in half way to win the spoon can’t be good for any athlete’s ego. I think we will see a different player next season with a full pre-season under his belt knowing he’s probably the alpha male in the team.