Opinion Has Thompson been a flop or does he need better halves to work with?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
This place is hilarious and super hypercritical after a loss...seriously, If anyone wants a good laugh, jump on the kennel after a heavy defeat and listen to fans coming up with some ridiculous sh!t.

thompson was all the rage since coming across and in one flogging later, Thompson is on a list of “is he a flop or not” with some actually calling him a flop.

The team as a whole played poorly and they failed to match the intensity of Melbourne and were terrible in defence.

Thompson takes hit ups hard to the line and very rarely ends up on his back often finding his front.
With a better spine and more help up front, you will find his value shining through. You can’t expect to see a prop playing lock being a game changer, but he does have some mongrel about him and he does everything at full tilt. He’s been a good buy.

Fans just need to be patient, the momentum change for the club starts from 2021.
100% mate m and the poor bloke has just got out of quarantine, come into the side running last and has never played with any of the players. I was waiting for the “wahhh sack Averillo wahhh” thread after he missed that penalty today

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I’ve been underwhelmed by Thompson. He’s a decent enough player but hasn’t lived up to the hype. There were suggestions he was the best forward in the world. Wouldn’t be in the top 20
We are just shit. He played well against you guys in the WCC in a well drilled team where he knew his role

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Put him in the Roosters and he would look like a gun, our side lacks any go forward on quick play the ball for any sort of platform to work off. Why the so called coach dropped Renouf is beyond me as he actually had an impact, the sooner this season ends the better.
I'm sorry but if you're the highest paid middle forward in the team part of your job is to set that platform not just wait for others to do it.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm sorry but if you're the highest paid middle forward in the team part of your job is to set that platform not just wait for others to do it.
Bingo, you’re one of the few that actually get it.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bingo, you’re one of the few that actually get it.
Like I said in a previous reply it almost seems like he's waiting for the right moments to run like after a quick play the ball or in the opposition red zone but someone needs to take those hard hit ups on the 1st or 2nd tackle as well

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest haven’t seen anything to suggest to me this guy any different to what we already have. I mean seeing his highlights over in the SL compared to what I’ve seen so far him playing here is 2 different cats...
To be honest I was expecting someone like James Greham but he seems more like Tolman, Maybe he thinks that's the way he's supposed to play, Also I was expecting a much bigger man lets hope he snaps out of it, once Barrett gets to him.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Poor game yesterday but he wasn't alone.
I thpught he was good his first 3 games.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like I said in a previous reply it almost seems like he's waiting for the right moments to run like after a quick play the ball or in the opposition red zone but someone needs to take those hard hit ups on the 1st or 2nd tackle as well
He is not that type of player and never was in the super league where here his much bigger partner did the grunt work. If you have watched him in the super league he is much more like a Boyd Cordner then a battering ram. His pay has nothing to do with the fact that he is being asked to perform a role he is not suited to.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Put him in the Roosters and he would look like a gun, our side lacks any go forward on quick play the ball for any sort of platform to work off. Why the so called coach dropped Renouf is beyond me as he actually had an impact, the sooner this season ends the better.
Was Renouf dropped or does he have a shoulder injury? Cause if he was dropped SG has absolutley lost his marbles! In my opinion RT has been our most consistent forward this year! Hurry up and save us Mr Barrett!

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Was Renouf dropped or does he have a shoulder injury? Cause if he was dropped SG has absolutley lost his marbles! In my opinion RT has been our most consistent forward this year! Hurry up and save us Mr Barrett!
they all had shockers
but some more than others

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe if the played him at prop he could.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He is not that type of player and never was in the super league where here his much bigger partner did the grunt work. If you have watched him in the super league he is much more like a Boyd Cordner then a battering ram. His pay has nothing to do with the fact that he is being asked to perform a role he is not suited to.
Yep I'm aware Walmsley was more the battering ram but his role is going to be different here

haytchcbb

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
lol

What a fucken shit and hypocritical topic
Explain to me how it’s hypocritical? It was a genuine question and you should probably engage in the topic and actually address it instead of throwing ad hominem.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Maybe if the played him at prop he could.
Not sure what jersey number has to do with taking hit ups, there's not a lot of distinction between lock and prop these days, most people just call them middles. Watch pat Carrigan from the Broncos, he's technically a lock but in reality is just a smaller more mobile prop who makes 150m a game in a struggling team

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think any NRL experience is helpful for him mate. He’s not a young rookie who will lose confidence
I agree this half season stint won't do him any harm. I'm not going to judge him harshly after his immediate preparation was 2 weeks in isolation, plus he's shown enough to say he'll be a lot better with a full pre-season, some better quality around him and good coaching. No need to panic IMO.