Okunbor/CHN megathread

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
From the article, it would seem dogs get to choose which club they would trade him to... Is this correct or am I reading that wrong?
I think it’s just like any situation where a player gets released and the club gets screwed. If he doesn’t want to be here he will just get a release and we get that cap space to fill.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the blokes had a root and got deregistered

The NRLOL got it wrong with the punishment and they got foundout

egg on their faces

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think it’s just like any situation where a player gets released and the club gets screwed. If he doesn’t want to be here he will just get a release and we get that cap space to fill.
That would be another missed opportunity if they did it that way. We don't need more cap space because we're struggling to sign players as it is and the market is average at best for off contract players.

So they need to use CHN as leverage and demand that we get duly compensated for a rep level player.

Letting him sign with the Roosters and us overpaying for more rejects and Reserve Graders isn't good enough. If they want him, give us something decent in return.

If the Roosters want him now, give us Sam Walker and we'll call it even. If the Tigers want him, give us Garner, Walters or Eisenhuth.. If Canberra want him, give us Horsburgh.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
No he shouldn’t have been deregistered..
The NRL put that in to action..not the club
The club followed protocol and terminated their contracts after the NRL had already made it clear they weren’t going to be playing NRL for the foreseeable future anyway..
No matter how you simplify the indescretion,it is now and always has been,against the policy of the club and code..at least since Coffs..
The onus is on the players to act responsibly and not break protocol,regardless of how tempting it may be..
These players earn enough to rightfully have these limitations put on them by the club and league..
But for him to now come out and say anything along the lines of ‘he’s pissed at the club,or he doesn’t feel the club supported him through it all’
Fucking please..is he 10?
He is a grown ass man that earns good coin to play a game,where he has a responsibility to represent the club and the league in a certain manor..
He didn’t..illegal or not..
All I’m saying is,he should own it and not benefit from it financially because he feels the club didn’t hold his hand..
Okunbor should have been deregistered..but now he is free to resume his career in 4 weeks and it appears he feels a sense of remorse and a want to make good with club and teammates..which is more than Corey is showing
It would have been a totally different story if they weren't schoolgirls. Had they been shop assistants, or waitresses from Rashays, it would not have made the headlines, but the emotive use of "schoolgirls" carries the nudge,nudge, wink, wink that they might have been children.

The public loves stories like these, where they can take the moral high ground and be judge and executioner - even better if it's the Bulldogs, who have a media manufactured reputation for bad behavior with women.

These two put the club into a position it had no escape from had it rounded up the wagons and defended them. The club deserves better than that from its players.
If CHN goes to another club, what lesson has he learned? And will he think he has license to misbehave again?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
So to get this write. He cost us a sponsorship, left us with a north coast partnership issue when we had it as a development showing good signs. Left his team mates struggling while being stood down. Like him or not left a coach with limited quality to pick.
And know wants to after causing this by his actions come back a say his terms.
I thought it was club first individual second.
He is a talent. I’d love to watch him play again in our colours. But he needs to own his short comings and commit to the playing group and show some bloody ticker to make it write. Not the club to beg him
And, as I've said in another post - if he goes and joins another club, what lesson does he take with him? - That he can stuff up his club's reputation and be rewarded with a better deal elsewhere, leaving them to clean up his mess? Why would he abide by the code of conduct with his next club if the punishment doesn't fall on him?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That would be another missed opportunity if they did it that way. We don't need more cap space because we're struggling to sign players as it is and the market is average at best for off contract players.

So they need to use CHN as leverage and demand that we get duly compensated for a rep level player.

Letting him sign with the Roosters and us overpaying for more rejects and Reserve Graders isn't good enough. If they want him, give us something decent in return.

If the Roosters want him now, give us Sam Walker and we'll call it even. If the Tigers want him, give us Garner, Walters or Eisenhuth.. If Canberra want him, give us Horsburgh.
It just doesn’t work that way though the club with the unhappy player loses out. It will just be a repeat of the Klemmer situation. Of course the club can try and get some type of deal happening but I don’t think it’s likely to happen. It’s a shit situation that the player holds all the power in these types of circumstances.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It just doesn’t work that way though the club with the unhappy player loses out. It will just be a repeat of the Klemmer situation. Of course the club can try and get some type of deal happening but I don’t think it’s likely to happen. It’s a shit situation that the player holds all the power in these types of circumstances.
I think the smarter clubs stand their ground. Look at the Storm with Addo-Carr or even a supposed rabble like the Titans with Arrow.

He's under contract for two more years so keep him in reserves until someone ponies up. I'm sick of our club being the only one that lets players leave with nothing to show for it.

I agree it's not straight forward and it takes time to work things out but sit him the rest of the season until they can find a good deal for our club for once.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the smarter clubs stand their ground. Look at the Storm with Addo-Carr or even a supposed rabble like the Titans with Arrow.

He's under contract for two more years so keep him in reserves until someone ponies up. I'm sick of our club being the only one that lets players leave with nothing to show for it.

I agree it's not straight forward and it takes time to work things out but sit him the rest of the season until they can find a good deal for our club for once.
Addo Carr and Arrow have their future sorted though and there’s not the potential bad blood between them and the club like there is with CHN. The club should first see if they have find a solution to him staying and if he doesn’t just punt him. We just aren’t going to get anything out of it especially when he’s contracted for two years.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My opinion welcome him back and explain that for every reaction there’s an equal opposite reaction. In another words if the snake didn’t wonder into the cave it still would be out open playing on the Field.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Addo Carr and Arrow have their future sorted though and there’s not the potential bad blood between them and the club like there is with CHN. The club should first see if they have find a solution to him staying and if he doesn’t just punt him. We just aren’t going to get anything out of it especially when he’s contracted for two years.
I get what you're saying but it's not like bad blood would derail a 1-8 team. We can't sink any lower..

We were resigned to losing him for nothing and him not playing at all this season. Now we have him under contract for two more years. So sitting him while they work out a deal with another club won't cause any further disruption. All I'm saying is they need to exhaust the player swap option as he's an asset at this point.

I hope the club use that contract as a bargaining chip and not release him for nothing as we'll have nothing to show for it. You know with the extra cap space they'll probably sign another Napa type replacement like they did with Klemmer.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what I’m confused did they club terminate their contracts at the time of deregistration . If so I would think the players can do what they want , overturning the decision means club has to take them back but by same token he should be free to leave as they terminated the contract . Whether he should stay or go is irrelevant. He is like a player on the open market now and he would choose $$ and success on his decision making

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what I’m confused did they club terminate their contracts at the time of deregistration . If so I would think the players can do what they want , overturning the decision means club has to take them back but by same token he should be free to leave as they terminated the contract . Whether he should stay or go is irrelevant. He is like a player on the open market now and he would choose $$ and success on his decision making
by the clubs admissions and actions the boys should be able to walk

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There’s some great posts here and I’m glad not everyone is blaming the club.
Don’t complain about having no major sponsor if you wanted the club to pat them on the back. The club was forced to follow the NRLs instructions. I personally think based on the information available that CHN shouldn’t have had his contract de-registered BY THE NRL on the advice of the integrity unit.

The players mustn’t have been treated too badly by the club as some have said if Okunbur wants to come back. CHN was always going to test his value on the open market and money will always be his motivation. That’s why he came to us in the first place
I am sick of...
1. Some rugby league players acting like spoiled brats conveniently acting dumb and innocent and never learn from previous mistakes and showing little or no responsibility.
2. Our management lack of true leadership by passing the buck knowing there are players who needs constant reminding of their responsibilities.
3. The NRL's absolute diabolical way of dealing with players who act like hooligans at a club, then allowed to be registered by another club allowing those players to ruin their previous clubs !
I guess that's why I call them The National Rorts League !

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get what you're saying but it's not like bad blood would derail a 1-8 team. We can't sink any lower..

We were resigned to losing him for nothing and him not playing at all this season. Now we have him under contract for two more years. So sitting him while they work out a deal with another club won't cause any further disruption. All I'm saying is they need to exhaust the player swap option as he's an asset at this point.

I hope the club use that contract as a bargaining chip and not release him for nothing as we'll have nothing to show for it. You know with the extra cap space they'll probably sign another Napa type replacement like they did with Klemmer.
It's nice in theory but clubs wanting CHN will just wait it out instead of giving up a player. They will all know he's going sooner or later if we don't play him.

All these swap deals get thrown about in these types of situations but they rarely happen. It's ridiculous that a player in CHN's position holds the power but the reality is he does.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agreed. If we let him go he needs to be replaced by someone of equal or greater value...otherwise the other club can fuck off. Replacing Napa with Klemmer is an example of what NOT to do.
If he doesn't like it and his form is crap stick him in CC

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's nice in theory but clubs wanting CHN will just wait it out instead of giving up a player. They will all know he's going sooner or later if we don't play him.

All these swap deals get thrown about in these types of situations but they rarely happen. It's ridiculous that a player in CHN's position holds the power but the reality is he does.
We have to be tough Spoonman. We cant just cave in when CHN starts crying. We have to be able to pick and choose the player we want. If he wants to go to the Roosters, then we should get the young hooker. If the Roosters don't agree then too bad. The club needs to have some balls for once and stand up for itself

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Melbourne have managed the JAC situation.
They have but JAC is happy to play his part in that situation. If JAC wasn't happy then they would have been in the same boat as we might be with CHN.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have to be tough Spoonman. We cant just cave in when CHN starts crying. We have to be able to pick and choose the player we want. If he wants to go to the Roosters, then we should get the young hooker. If the Roosters don't agree then too bad. The club needs to have some balls for once and stand up for itself
It doesn't work like that though. It's not like a trade in the NFL where the player has to move regardless when teams come to a agreement.

We can ask for a player in return and the club and player can say no and that's the end of it.

So we say no and we have CHN on the books for 2 years not playing? You cut off your nose to spite your face in these situations by keeping the player.