News Dean Pay’s future ‘on Bulldogs radar’ as Kent fumes he was set up to fail

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No idea but a Coach should have. He needs to convey the types of players etc that he wants to best carry out whatever plan he has for style of play we want. Obviously no power with regards to $$$ like Hasler had but the available players, yes.
That would be fine if Pay actually had a plan or a style of football, he doesn’t, it’s not evidenced in our performances nor has he ever been able to articulate it in an interview or press conference. Trying hard isn’t a game plan.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The club needed to surround Pay with ex players In the caliber of Kimmorley and Ennis on a FT basis. Both have strong characters, football smarts and likeable personalities. Instead they had Sherwin come and spend a few hours one day a week with the halves with no say or input on team selections. Lynne and the CEO have as much explaining to do as Pay does.

they've treated the first grade squad like the Wentworthville Magpies and run it on bare minimum.
Meanwhile other clubs with already seasoned halves and/or outstanding potential halves, have the calibre of Johns, Cronk etc full time coaching and mentoring.

We have the most challenged and inexperienced, yet only Shifty one night a week last I heard.

It's not good enough in 2020 especially with the new rules.

We are in a situation of vying for the spoon yet there are so many better and successful ways of managing the team. Selections, bench, training, mentoring, coaching all throughout every grade, players in their correct positions. Disappointing that every single issue is not addressed by coach and our management.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No idea but a Coach should have. He needs to convey the types of players etc that he wants to best carry out whatever plan he has for style of play we want. Obviously no power with regards to $$$ like Hasler had but the available players, yes.
I think this is correct. A lot of the Board members are apparently dictating what is going to happen.
Unless Pay (or any other coach) has a bit of freedom on player purchasing selections it will fail.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Each time you post it makes less and less sense, which says a lot because it was gibberish to begin with

You on the glass pipe again?
Bulldogs fan here: everytime you have a comment makes you look like a pretentious silly girl . Your are not a bulldog supporter. Blow in

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your board putting pressure on Pay now is a bad look imo. Scapegoating the coach when he's doing his best with that he's got is a red flag to any potential coach. Your board/CEO needs to be out front taking flack for the coach and players or at least taking some pressure off. I realise you guys are a demanding bunch, but constant upheaval achieves nothing.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: everytime you have a comment makes you look like a pretentious silly girl . Your are not a bulldog supporter. Blow in

Coming from you nasweed I'll take that as compliment:kissingheart:

Run along back to Redfern

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Once again I will say. The majority of this side has beaten Broncos, Put a huge score on the Dragons a couple of years ago. Won 5 from 6 late last year and did similiar things late the season before.
So I CALL BULLSHIT. This side can and has done good things. So I ask WHY NOT EACH WEEK?
Pay can go no doubt and you can take Anderson's board with him.
Recruitment has been beyond poor and that is not all on him.
Plus I get that with COVID they had time off. But where was the game plan? Where was the basic effort?
#sackpaynow

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Your board putting pressure on Pay now is a bad look imo. Scapegoating the coach when he's doing his best with that he's got is a red flag to any potential coach. Your board/CEO needs to be out front taking flack for the coach and players or at least taking some pressure off. I realise you guys are a demanding bunch, but constant upheaval achieves nothing.
Easy to say when you have Robinson and can sign any player you want

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What tripe. Inferior roster my arse. The captain Josh Jackson is an Origin and Kangaroo rep player. Dylan Napier is a premiership winning player. Roumanos has international experience. Tolman has 10 years experience. Sue has played international football. Elliot, Smith and Faitalla Mariner are in their 5th season. Britt and Marshall King and Joe Stimson are in their 4th season. I haven’t started on the backs yet. Quite a few players have been bought in during Pay’s tenure. If the team is inferior it’s because of the coach.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What do you mean? We were tipped for the wooden spoon last year and finished 12th and were somehow still in contention for the finals until the very few last games. This year we're tipped (and that's even with our great end of season run last season) to finish second last and we're three games in. Until next year there isn't going to be any expectations on Pay or our team.
Have you been putting money on what these so called experts say?
If so you would be broke!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This is a trap, Roosters just want us to be shit together.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What tripe. Inferior roster my arse. The captain Josh Jackson is an Origin and Kangaroo rep player. Dylan Napier is a premiership winning player. Roumanos has international experience. Tolman has 10 years experience. Sue has played international football. Elliot, Smith and Faitalla Mariner are in their 5th season. Britt and Marshall King and Joe Stimson are in their 4th season. I haven’t started on the backs yet. Quite a few players have been bought in during Pay’s tenure. If the team is inferior it’s because of the coach.
The 1, 6, 7 & 9 are the main issue here, not 1 would make the starting side in any other team in the position they are playing with us.

Not defending Pay totally agree with what you have said above mate.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Kambah it’s rare that I say nice things about chooks unless they are on my plate adequately herbed and spiced but you are bang on and I wish it was something more Dogs fans understood. That said, much of this is media beat up (just for something different). There’s clearly issues still to resolve but there’s also no evidence club management are not supporting Deano. We are almost at the end of a long dark tunnel and turning on each other now would only do more damage. Stay the course.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Two coaches in ten years and firing a coach after three years of bottom five finishes isn't constant upheaval.

Pay isn't a scapegoat with the record he has and when he's responsible for the worst attacking team in the comp over the the last three seasons.

If th Roosters were ever in a similar situation, would you want a coach with the above record to stay on for four or five seasons? I doubt it.

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy to say when you have Robinson and can sign any player you want
It is easy for me to say now, but remember I had two decades of the upheaval that you're going through now and let me tell you looking back, it was the continuing upheaval that made it last two decades. I doubt any of you want that?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Two coaches in ten years and firing a coach after three years of bottom five finishes isn't constant upheaval.
Two? Four. Or three if you won’t wanna count Jimmy D as caretaker in 2011.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True, maybe not from a specific coaching perspective, but your club has a new board and has had a high turnover of players recently. I suppose what I'm saying is stability at this stage is more important that winning if, IF, you are trying to attract a new and better coach.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your posts are usually well articulated (for a chook) but I’d like to hear your unbiased justification about how Pay is “doing his best”?
Pressure should always be on an NRL coach though and nobody deserves a free ride in such a well paid job