News Dean Pay’s future ‘on Bulldogs radar’ as Kent fumes he was set up to fail

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
June 03, 2020 8:59pm
Mark St JohnFOX SPORTS
Dean Pay’s future ‘on Bulldogs radar’ as Kent fumes he was set up to fail

Dean Pay needs a big game from his Bulldogs side on Monday.

James Hooper has revealed Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has been given strict orders to improve his side’s performance in Round 4 or face further conjecture over his future.

The Bulldogs were poor in their Round 3 loss to the Sea Eagles and Pay has been in talks with key club powerbrokers this week.

“Dean Pay’s future at the Bulldogs has been put on the radar this week,” Hooper said on NRL 360.

“There has been further meetings today between Lynn Anderson and Andrew Hill who is the CEO, other people at the Football Department and Dean Pay.

“It has been outlined in no uncertain terms that Dean Pay needs a strong performance from the team on Monday against St George Illawarra and that he is facing an uphill battle to retain his position beyond this season.

“I feel for Dean Pay, the Bulldogs members and fans are immensely frustrated because of the lack of results.”

However Paul Kent believes that Pay was set up to fail, given the lack of support in improving the playing stocks at the club throughout his tenure.

“But this was the danger we always knew what Dean Pay was up against in regenerating this roster,” Kent interjected.

“The conspiracy theory was when they signed him to coach to the end of this year was that they were not giving him next year when he had greater control over the finances and the salary cap.

“He was basically being put in there to go through all the tough period so they could slide someone else into the job when things got easier from a salary cap and recruitment point of view.

“To be honest Dean Pay hasn’t been treated real fair by the Bulldogs. He’s done all the hard work and copped all the hard shots back.”

Regardless Hooper believes that the Bulldogs are losing patience given Pay has won just 18 of his 51 games in charge for a win percentage of just 35.3.

“The issue is when Dean Pay was signed he was signed by the previous Chairman Ray Dibb,” Hooper explained.

“Then the board was overthrown at the elections by Lynn Anderson, Chris Anderson and that ticket.

“Dean has been working for people who didn’t initially hire him. He’s a Bulldogs legend and yes he has been treated poorly given those circumstances.

“But when you look at his win ratio and their results it is very hard to mount an argument to retain him.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...fb987121fdf1776726a?__twitter_impression=true

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree with Kent. A lot of fans still haven't been able to understand the situation we're in.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he selected the players which were best for the position then we can all blame the players. When we have a winger playing fullback, fullback playing wing, winger playing centre it's all a fuck around. Doesn't look good for the coach

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kent always backs Pay, refuses to acknowledge his flaws.

If improvement was obvious without the annual return to shit until 8 is out of reach, and players were selected in their best positions, Pay would get more credit.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I don't believe he was set up to fail. His performances reflect upon the Board and CEO too. Pay knew what was ahead of him when he agreed to the job did he not?

I did say in a post previously that the cattle has to be taken in account and I do believe that. However his team selections, positional assignments and general team skills and gameplan are all his so he can be assessed upon that.

I don't believe he was set up to fail, I think it's more that he was over his head.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
However Paul Kent believes that Pay was set up to fail, given the lack of support in improving the playing stocks at the club throughout his tenure.

“But this was the danger we always knew what Dean Pay was up against in regenerating this roster,” Kent interjected.

“The conspiracy theory was when they signed him to coach to the end of this year was that they were not giving him next year when he had greater control over the finances and the salary cap.

“He was basically being put in there to go through all the tough period so they could slide someone else into the job when things got easier from a salary cap and recruitment point of view.

“To be honest Dean Pay hasn’t been treated real fair by the Bulldogs. He’s done all the hard work and copped all the hard shots back.”
Paul Kent I know you read the forum from time to time. The fact pay persists with certain players in certain positions when it is very arguable we have better players, for those positions, than the ones he chooses, well that's no longer on the board, that's on him

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The media will spin the poor Pay angle for sure when he gets the bullet. He has had very very low expectations and hasn’t even met those.
What do you mean? We were tipped for the wooden spoon last year and finished 12th and were somehow still in contention for the finals until the very few last games. This year we're tipped (and that's even with our great end of season run last season) to finish second last and we're three games in. Until next year there isn't going to be any expectations on Pay or our team.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Kent. A lot of fans still haven't been able to understand the situation we're in.
enlighten me on how King Pay has improved the teams performance,strategy and overall confidence...

also I would like a power point presentation on the metrics he used for KPIs to show he over achieved

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
enlighten me on how King Pay has improved the teams performance,strategy and overall confidence...

also I would like a power point presentation on the metrics he used for KPIs to show he over achieved
Read above. It's a fact Pay (and the team) overachieved last year if we're looking at W/L's and where we finished on the table. You're just unable to set realistic expectations, not my fault.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The club needed to surround Pay with ex players In the caliber of Kimmorley and Ennis on a FT basis. Both have strong characters, football smarts and likeable personalities. Instead they had Sherwin come and spend a few hours one day a week with the halves with no say or input on team selections. Lynne and the CEO have as much explaining to do as Pay does.

they've treated the first grade squad like the Wentworthville Magpies and run it on bare minimum.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Read above. It's a fact Pay (and the team) overachieved last year if we're looking at W/L's and where we finished on the table.
But the one nagging issue about pay does not go away and hence he cannot be trusted to build our team.

Last season we started with a whole bunch of wrong players in wrong positions (e.g Montoya in centres, chn on the bench) and he persisted and persisted with the wrong lineup until injuries set him right.

If he can't even pick the right players in the right positions with our current squad to give us the best chance of being competitive, i sure as hell don't want him to have an open cheque book to fuck our salary cap on shit players again. E.g clay fucking priest

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you mean? We were tipped for the wooden spoon last year and finished 12th and were somehow still in contention for the finals until the very few last games. This year we're tipped (and that's even with our great end of season run last season) to finish second last and we're three games in. Until next year there isn't going to be any expectations on Pay or our team.
The season was over by the half way point in 2019 we were never a chance of making the finals after that Roosters game at the SCG. When someone says they are mathematical chance they are no chance. Anyway that’s besides my point because we were never winning a comp in the past two years and we aren’t this year either. So the ladder position is irrelevant it’s all been about improving players and building something towards 2021 and in my opinion he hasn’t done that.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
But the one nagging issue about pay does not go away and hence he cannot be trusted to build our team.

Last season we started with a whole bunch of wrong players in wrong positions (e.g Montoya in centres, chn on the bench) and he persisted and persisted with the wrong lineup until injuries set him right.

If he can't even pick the right players in the right positions with our current squad to give us the best chance of being competitive, i sure as hell don't want him to have an open cheque book to fuck our salary cap on shit players again. E.g clay fucking priest
For me that's what it comes down to. We have 1 chance with this open cheque book for 2021, do we trust Pay to spend it wisely and has he proven that he can? For me, his team selections etc answers that question!

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: if he is let go it’s not a bulldogs thing to do. Let’s hope he is kept as tackling coach . Thanks deano..... up hours chimpster

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The season was over by the half way point in 2019 we were never a chance of making the finals after that Roosters game at the SCG. When someone says they are mathematical chance they are no chance. Anyway that’s besides my point because we were never winning a comp in the past two years and we aren’t this year either. So the ladder position is irrelevant it’s all been about improving players and building something towards 2021 and in my opinion he hasn’t done that.
If you ever thought we were a realistic chance of winning the premiership in the last two years and this year I'm sorry to tell you but you don't understand the situation we're in. We have a bottom four roster on paper and a rebuild coach. Next year we'll add 2-3m (not including Thompson) worth of talent to our team and we'll have a more competitive roster. Nathan Brown at the Knights had a 26% win rate which includes the last season he was there with a competitive roster. Pay has met expectations (and like I said statistically passed) and there is nothing you can give or tell me that shows otherwise. Unless a top coach is available Pay should be here next year (unless we get the wooden spoon this year and even then like I've said 100 times we're expected to come second last anyways). Expectations will rise next year.