CHN and Okunbor de-registered

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
but this is my gripe with that logic, who does that win over exactly?
When you appease the do gooder crowd, you don't win over supporters and win favours. You don't get anything + EV.
You do however get your own players and fans (family) annoyed.

it's your own fans you need to satisfy. They are the ones you stand to lose.
As you saw, the sponsor went regardless.

this same reason, I don't get why RA was so quick to appease the LGBT crowd in the Israel saga.

I'm sure there are some, but I have never got the feeling that gay people are passionate rugby fans. I DO get the feeling that Christian's and poly islanders are.
So who wins when you come down hard on Izzy?
The players and Christians who support are unhappy and don't buy tickets
The team results likely suffer. Removing your best players.
The gays? They nod their head, Thankyou for your support then go off back to their fashion, music and dancing interests and forget all about it.

huge price to get their token support.

Truer words were never spoken.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
in all its entirety
Why not I say. Why not :grinning: Can understand why people think this way. The 'seige mentality' is something we ourselves used quite a lot during our years of dominance, so it makes sense. Obviously there's a limit to that because it needs to match the values the club has. But understand what you're both putting across, just don't think it's the case here. Each to their own though.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Well ... this is perhaps where you're making a mistake like it seems many on here.

This whole situation has nothing to do with appeasing the 'do gooder crowd' but rather sticking to the values the club has been presenting to everyone. The day the club starts dancing to the tune the public sets then we're in even bigger trouble. Thank God they don't listen to me, especially you, nor anyone on here when making major decisions!
But even by this logic, they positioned themselves as the family club who are loyal to their own!
In February, someone posted an article here about Drew Hill, how he was boasting how he sold Thompson the family spirit and we will support a homie, blood before dishonour and all that Jazz.

then they hung CHN and the other bloke with meat hooks on the side of the road Wuhan style over a minor indiscretion.

They are hypocritical and having sent the wrong message out here. Toddberg understood this when he was with us and went to bat whenever possible. He ended up with the Top job in the nrl after.

Pic your battles

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But even by this logic, they positioned themselves as the family club who are loyal to their own!
In February, someone posted an article here about Drew Hill, how he was boasting how he sold Thompson the family spirit and we will support a homie, blood before dishonour and all that Jazz.

then they hung CHN and the other bloke with meat hooks on the side of the road Wuhan style over a minor indiscretion.

They are hypocritical and having sent the wrong message out here. Toddberg understood this when he was with us and went to bat whenever possible. He ended up with the Top job in the nrl after.

Pic your battles
Can see your post getting lots of likes as you've picked a popular angle to create discussion which is great.

Will wait on the replies before I reply as I've already spoken on this in length and am happy for others to put their views on. Well done though in recreating some debate on here.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Can see your post getting lots of likes as you've picked a popular angle to create discussion which is great.

Will wait on the replies before I reply as I've already spoken on this in length and am happy for others to put their views on. Well done though in recreating some debate on here.

You have mentioned values. I'll say one final thing on this.

never seen a value in the bulldogs COC 'though shalt not fuck hoes from different area codes' written anywhere.

I'll be surprised if they don't get a SJW team out there in the media.
'2 black men robbed of their income by group of powerful white men'

'love is love'

All that jazz.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You have mentioned values. I'll say one final thing on this.

never seen a value in the bulldogs COC 'though shalt not fuck hoes from different area codes' written anywhere.

I'll be surprised if they don't get a SJW team out there in the media.
'2 black men robbed of their income by group of powerful white men'

'love is love'

All that jazz.
Ah mate. You were doing so well until the 'though shalt not fuck hoes from different area codes' part as I think some people may still have been taking you seriously ;)

Keep up the good work pal. Love your posts :grinning:

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Possible I guess?

Find in such cases it's usually played through the media tho. That the first step is getting public support. There hasn't been any word from the players in the slightest. No apologies or recognition that thy made a mistake. Nothing.

Tells me that they're either holding their cards close to their chest to launch something big which, I think, is a massive massive gamble not to at least defend themselves.

Or, this case goes a lot deeper than any of us can imagine. Taking everything into account I'd say this is the most likely considering how they lumped CHN with JO immediately, and at no time tried to seperate their cases.

Don't know mate. Reckon his best chance of getting back in the comp is to lay low for a while at least. And stay out of trouble ....
Look on one view and if it were me, I’d lay low and move on quietly as opposed to swimming in shit 12 months. On the other hand, Izzy did it and came out ontop.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Look on one view and if it were me, I’d lay low and move on quietly as opposed to swimming in shit 12 months. On the other hand, Izzy did it and came out ontop.
Yeah. Agree. Izzy was an exception imo and the cases are quite different. But, yeah, it's really hard to know what's going on and what's going to happen in the future.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah. Agree. Izzy was an exception imo and the cases are quite different. But, yeah, it's really hard to know what's going on and what's going to happen in the future.
Very different - I don’t think you can compare them at all and I don’t think they’ll have remotely similar outcomes. Just think about who went in to bat for Izzy and why. Likewise who would go into bat for the other fellas and why / why not.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Very different - I don’t think you can compare them at all and I don’t think they’ll have remotely similar outcomes. Just think about who went in to bat for Izzy and why. Likewise who would go into bat for the other fellas and why / why not.
Yes, that's a fair point you're making. I can't think of any of these cases when players fought and won when it came to the charges presented ... happy for someone to point them out though as it seems most think that's the best way for JO and CHN to go. The legal route that is. I'd be scared shitless to do that if I were them as clearly there's a lot of solid info against them ...

Time will tell. though. Time will tell.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now that both players have bee deregistered its only right that the NRL sets a time frame on both players bans and doesn't allow an opposition team to sign them for next season because then it really is the Bulldogs getting punished and not so much the players.

There was already discussion that a couple of teams have already enquired about CHN services.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Now that both players have bee deregistered its only right that the NRL sets a time frame on both players bans and doesn't allow an opposition team to sign them for next season because then it really is the Bulldogs getting punished and not so much the players.

There was already discussion that a couple of teams have already enquired about CHN services.
Fair point. Perhaps at this time they're just happy to make the punishment quite uncommital as it suits the NRL to be so? With all of the upheaval atm, maybe they're just focusing on supporting the players which is what they have to legally do I imagine? And perhaps at a later point when everything is settled they can make a clearer comment on what the future entails for these players? I'm quite surprised that there really hasn't been any timeline on this as talk of supporting them but not outlining the punishment is a little bit of a slap in the face. So, to my thinking at least, they must've said stuff in private and gone from there.

Can't ever imagine the players coming back to us though, and whichever way you look at it ... it makes sense for them not to. Would be hypocritical taking them back now imo and go against the public stance we've made? Who knows though really as so little info has been given on the matter

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fair point. Perhaps at this time they're just happy to make the punishment quite uncommital as it suits the NRL to be so? With all of the upheaval atm, maybe they're just focusing on supporting the players which is what they have to legally do I imagine? And perhaps at a later point when everything is settled they can make a clearer comment on what the future entails for these players? I'm quite surprised that there really hasn't been any timeline on this as talk of supporting them but not outlining the punishment is a little bit of a slap in the face. So, to my thinking at least, they must've said stuff in private and gone from there.

Can't ever imagine the players coming back to us though, and whichever way you look at it ... it makes sense for them not to. Would be hypocritical taking them back now imo and go against the public stance we've made? Who knows though really as so little info has been given on the matter
I wouldn't want either player back. Burnt bridges and all. Clubs trying to do the right thing by everyone, community, stakeholders, sponsors and its own brand so for that reason those two players are better gone. I don't know what the future holds and when the good times will come again but I hope we are on the right track.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wouldn't want either player back. Burnt bridges and all. Clubs trying to do the right thing by everyone, community, stakeholders, sponsors and its own brand so for that reason those two players are better gone. I don't know what the future holds and when the good times will come again but I hope we are on the right track.
Agree with all and sundry. Have to move on from what happened. As a supporter and club. Realise why people are upset, and I also would love to understand the finer details, but we need to be realistic and know we'll never probably find out everything.

The main thing is that the club made a stand and now we go forward. Just like you I'm hoping we're on the right track! Feel that we are but results are really all that's going to show that.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Possible of course that the story of 'enquiries of CHN's services' is just media fishing. There's no footy on but the stories still have to keep coming from somewhere!

Regarding time frame - the only comparison I can make are the precedents of Carney and Barba - de-registered full stop, not suspended.
Yes, fair to say those two players had plenty of form prior to be de-registered, but in Carney's case he wasn't allowed back and in Barba's case he hasn't been allowed back to date (considering eligibility to still play).
I find it not insignificant that the NRL did not state 'Deregistered for 2020' or any similar language. They appear to be speaking in long term language. It's possible that may change via some sort of appeal process, but at this stage there doesn't appear to be any intent to allow the players back for 2021.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sacked Bulldog Jayden Okunbor to appeal against his sacking by the NRL

Jayden Okunbor will appeal against the decision to have his contract torn up by the NRL for serious misconduct in Port Macquarie.

Disgraced Bulldogs stars Jayden Okunbor is appealing his indefinite NRL ban.

Okunbor and team mate Corey Harawira-Naera had their contracts torn up last week for serious misconduct in bringing two schoolgirls back to their hotel room during a pre-season trip to Port Macquarie for a trial game.

It is unclear if Harawira-Naera plans to appeal as well.

Okunbor, 23, and Harawira-Naera, 24, were accused of contacting the girls on social media.

Their behaviour that led to indefinite deregistrations was labelled ‘inexcusable’ in statements released by NRL boss Todd Greenberg and the Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill.

“The behaviour of both players was inexcusable and a very serious breach of the code of conduct,” Greenberg said.

“The game will not tolerate such conduct and as such both players have had their registrations cancelled.

“This decision should send a very clear message to all players of our stance on such behaviour.”

It is unclear on what grounds the players are appealing.

The appeal will be heard by former High Court judge Ian Callinan, the chair of the NRL Appeals committee.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/bff74da1e193f2532f43a1bd35a0c80f

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

This is why Ricky and Canberra go into bat for their players now, because they realised that trying to be the good guys all the time got them nowhere and actually came back to hurt them

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sacked Bulldog Jayden Okunbor to appeal against his sacking by the NRL

Jayden Okunbor will appeal against the decision to have his contract torn up by the NRL for serious misconduct in Port Macquarie.
Disgraced Bulldogs stars Jayden Okunbor is appealing his indefinite NRL ban.
Okunbor and team mate Corey Harawira-Naera had their contracts torn up last week for serious misconduct in bringing two schoolgirls back to their hotel room during a pre-season trip to Port Macquarie for a trial game.
It is unclear if Harawira-Naera plans to appeal as well.
Okunbor, 23, and Harawira-Naera, 24, were accused of contacting the girls on social media.
Their behaviour that led to indefinite deregistrations was labelled ‘inexcusable’ in statements released by NRL boss Todd Greenberg and the Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill.
“The behaviour of both players was inexcusable and a very serious breach of the code of conduct,” Greenberg said.
“The game will not tolerate such conduct and as such both players have had their registrations cancelled.
“This decision should send a very clear message to all players of our stance on such behaviour.”
It is unclear on what grounds the players are appealing.
The appeal will be heard by former High Court judge Ian Callinan, the chair of the NRL Appeals committee.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/bff74da1e193f2532f43a1bd35a0c80f
I was definitely expecting an appeal from CHN and he might follow this, but an appeal from JO is interesting when it appeared on the surface he had the greater case to answer.
Which isn't known publicly remains key - so interesting to see how the appeal process plays out.