Bush Fires

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd estimate that I spend more time thinking about what I write than you, given that I generally add nuanced opinion to what I'm talking about instead of just calling names and laughing at people with the opposite opinion to me.
You throw COMPLETELY BASELESS ACCUSATIONS around with zilch fucking proof.

Hacky (and others and myself) has provided peer reviewed study after peer reviewed study and your retort is, its all bullshit because i believe so

Nah mate get back under your rock

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
You throw COMPLETELY BASELESS ACCUSATIONS around with zilch fucking proof.

Hacky (and others and myself) has provided peer reviewed study after peer reviewed study and your retort is, its all bullshit because i believe so

Nah mate get back under your rock
cheers for proving my point.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Separate topic but I think the risk of the ozone hole was greatly over stated and I also think that boiling the entire cause of it down to CFCs rather than natural variations was also incorrect.

Claiming that the green policies somehow fixed it within such a short space of time is also eye brow raising stuff.

Is it just a coincidence that the exact same structure of argument is being used to float global warming? i.e. find a problem, make the problem sound catastrophic (e.g. the world will end in 12 years), attribute the problem to something man made that you can't see or smell or make sense of and then say that government needs extra powers to solve the problem.

I'm not saying I believe that global warming is a sham and a direct copy of previous environmental shams but it's at least interesting to notice the similarities.
You can believe that if you want. But literally every atmospheric scientist would tell you that you're wrong.

The ozone (which is just a layer of O3 particles) has been studied thoroughly.

But as always, I could be wrong. If you have any evidence to backup your claim then I'm more than happy to accept it.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Look at this bright individual on twitter commenting after the Aus Open courts were left dirty because of rain mixed with dust overnight in Melbourne:

"The rain puddles in Melbourne tonight. Streaks of red dust on clothes. This is not normal. Time to act #climatecrisis

LOL

Dust and dirt? Climate change
Bush fires? Climate change
Too many storms? Climate change
Too few storms? Climate change

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look at this bright individual on twitter commenting after the Aus Open courts were left dirty because of rain mixed with dust overnight in Melbourne:

"The rain puddles in Melbourne tonight. Streaks of red dust on clothes. This is not normal. Time to act #climatecrisis

LOL

Dust and dirt? Climate change
Bush fires? Climate change
Too many storms? Climate change
Too few storms? Climate change
They should come see me out in the central west as everything is always covered in dust including your clothes. My car looks like I've had it parked in an old shed it's that covered but as we have level 4 water restrictions not much you can do about it. When it does rain here it just rains dust mixed with water so everything still gets cover in dust.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
They should come see me out in the central west as everything is always covered in dust including your clothes. My car looks like I've had it parked in an old shed it's that covered but as we have level 4 water restrictions not much you can do about it. When it does rain here it just rains dust mixed with water so everything still gets cover in dust.
If you look at voting patterns, a lot of the support and belief in climate change comes from inner city elites who have never left an area that doesn't serve fancy lattes.

I had to spend a stack of time with my last job out at a number of mine and construction sites in far north west WA, central queensland etc. The thing about the Pilbara region is you very quickly learn that the red dust gets everywhere, so you stop caring about it.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
For anyone who strongly supports a belief in climate change, this article is a big reason why people doubt scientists and people in govt/power.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-...-at-doomsday-clock-event-20200124-p53uac.html

Most of what was said was entirely false.

Also, claiming that the Australian government is in denial, infers there is only one side of the argument and unless you support it, you're an outcast.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
For anyone who strongly supports a belief in climate change, this article is a big reason why people doubt scientists and people in govt/power.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-...-at-doomsday-clock-event-20200124-p53uac.html

Also, claiming that the Australian government is in denial, infers there is only one side of the argument and unless you support it, you're an outcast.
I know I'm ranting, but a few more comments. Look at these idiot scientists with their doomsday clock.

These scientists claimed back in 2016 after the US presidential election, that the clock was being moved forward because Trump (rather than Hillary had been elected).

Yet 4 years on and Trump is one of the only presidents to avoid any new wars and has created relative (compared to the Obama years) peace in the middle east.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I know I'm ranting, but a few more comments. Look at these idiot scientists with their doomsday clock.

These scientists claimed back in 2016 after the US presidential election, that the clock was being moved forward because Trump (rather than Hillary had been elected).

Yet 4 years on and Trump is one of the only presidents to avoid any new wars and has created relative (compared to the Obama years) peace in the middle east.
Most of them aren't scientists. That's the irony of it. They're generally politicians and stuff.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I like that you've finally stopped pretending that you're not a climate denier.
Poor choice of words from me. What I was trying to say is:

- If you are a strong advocate of man made climate change and are genuinely trying to understand why people hold an opposite view, then perhaps the article i attached will show you why.

Using the climate denier tag is just an attempt to conflate holocaust denial with climate change and paint people as morally bankrupt to win an argument without ever having to talk about anything meaningful.

As I've said before:

I believe that the climate changes.
- I'm open to the possibility that humans have had some impact on some of the changes over the last 100 years.
- I'm open to the idea that some of the 'consequences' of climate change may actually be beneficial (and not negative) to life on earth.
- I believe that most of the climate change debate has been hijacked by people on the left and by extension this includes most media types, and used to silence.people into submission.
- It's a disgusting mistake to hide behind teenagers and even younger school students as political weapons to push your own agenda.

The debate overall would be better served if concious choices were made such as:

- Removing any school age children from the debate and providing them with the full range of opinions rather than only one
- Refusing to allow school age children to participate at climate change forums (obviously I'm referring to the mentally ill kid from Sweden)
- Stop attempting to link every single weather event to climate change
- Start discussing practical responses to a slightly warmer climate (such as how we better manage fuel loads) and also how we manage the electricity grid given there will be higher base load demands due to air conditioning uses.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Police are currently interviewing Hephaestus about a few fires
He has been released. Popular doctrine has it that a woman must be at fault and Hestia now in custody.

She has denied it. She claims she was busy inventing a warrior female support chest plate.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Feel sorry for those yanks that got killed yesterday when the plane crashed. Come out to Australia to help us only to lose their lives in the process. We have lost too many firefighters to these damn fires as it is already.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Poor choice of words from me. What I was trying to say is:

- If you are a strong advocate of man made climate change and are genuinely trying to understand why people hold an opposite view, then perhaps the article i attached will show you why.

Using the climate denier tag is just an attempt to conflate holocaust denial with climate change and paint people as morally bankrupt to win an argument without ever having to talk about anything meaningful.

As I've said before:

I believe that the climate changes.
- I'm open to the possibility that humans have had some impact on some of the changes over the last 100 years.
- I'm open to the idea that some of the 'consequences' of climate change may actually be beneficial (and not negative) to life on earth.
- I believe that most of the climate change debate has been hijacked by people on the left and by extension this includes most media types, and used to silence.people into submission.
- It's a disgusting mistake to hide behind teenagers and even younger school students as political weapons to push your own agenda.

The debate overall would be better served if concious choices were made such as:

- Removing any school age children from the debate and providing them with the full range of opinions rather than only one
- Refusing to allow school age children to participate at climate change forums (obviously I'm referring to the mentally ill kid from Sweden)
- Stop attempting to link every single weather event to climate change
- Start discussing practical responses to a slightly warmer climate (such as how we better manage fuel loads) and also how we manage the electricity grid given there will be higher base load demands due to air conditioning uses.
While I agree with a lot of that, the problem with the debate is that the debate should be at the stage of:

"is climate change making fires worse?"

And that's an actual decent debate as it seems highly likely especially considering that we're in a non-drought cycle and other factors, but more research is needed.

Instead we have one extreme saying:

"Climate change causes all the problems in life"

And the other extreme saying:

"humans have no effect on the climate"

Fact is that while it's likely climate change is having an impact on the severity of bushfires, it isn't proven beyond a doubt. But what is proven is that humans are having a large impact on the climate. This was proven over 30 years ago. But it's still denied.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
And the weirdest part is how strong the denial is. Several fossil fuel companies proved human's effects on the climate then they covered it up and organised a campaign of misinformation, and they were caught red handed. And people still trust them over the actual scientists.

Could you imagine if the Greens were caught running a multi-billion dollar campaign to cover up what they were really doing? They would be lynched in the streets. Yet it's 100% confirmed that fossil fuel companies covered up the effects of fossil fuels on the climate and people jump to defend them and still deny it's true.

I'm open to all evidence from all sides. But there's a difference between skepticism and denial. When you completely ignore the massive amount of evidence it's definitely not skepticism.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We are on again

Southside of Canberra about to cop a hiding. It was wild to see in person this afternoon. Watched the flames come over the moutain ridge behind the suburbs

Someone posted this on fb

FB_IMG_1580211928747.jpeg

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
And the defence force started this fire accidentally yesterday from a helicopter light getting hot enough to ignite grassland and it went off its head and caused this

20200128_184114.jpeg
Snapchat-553948922.jpeg