Official 2019 Bulldogs Members Forum (Concluded) - See update P10

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don’t have a high opinion of wakeham, mad no lower rep sides... will get exposed in first grade
Kid is talented. Needs a couple years minimum to bulk up and work on his D.

Another option in fast tracking these young pups (Meaney included) physically, is to bring over Flanagan and Danks and let them work their magic

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can he play? And will he be ready for next year??
I don’t know if he’ll be ready for next year, but Robson is probably only a year older than him. By the way I wasn’t given any names I just put two and two together.

Two things make me believe it’s Zac

1. Was told our next hooker is in our system
2. Zac was given a go last week in reggies

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t know if he’ll be ready for next year, but Robson is probably only a year older than him. By the way I wasn’t given any names I just put two and two together.

In our system? Could be Lichaa! ;)

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

If they do have Hetherington or another junior hooker in mind they still should be buying a short term experienced hooker to help bring the young hooker through. It just seems like a all the eggs in one basket scenario relying on someone in Flegg to come good. I’m not saying he won’t make it but there is no guarantees with junior players.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

He's been named again on the bench

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay said they will go after a superstar like Ponga for 2021.

Pay gave it away, and i bet they actually are going after Ponga, and it will be to no avail as Ponga's next contract will either be in Union or at the Broncos/Cowboys

What other superstars are left???
RTS - just re-signed for a further 4 years?
Tedesco - No chance on this planet he leaves Roosters
Mitchell - As above

We will end up re-signing a broken 30+ year old Foran

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the club has actually taken some proactive approaches in our rebuild. The Klemmer release didn't impress me at the time. But I think it was going to be hard keeping him and maintaining a healthy attitude within the club. The new board recruited some great prospects given how late in the year it was when they took over. And some people seem to still be operating on the idea that recruiting Pay was a decision made by the new board.

Our success in the past wasn't about splashing money on stars. It was based on great talent development with a big name buy thrown in once in a blue moon. Every move the club has made since the new board took over seems to be in order to get back to doing business this way. They've broken the current mild by investing in country regions in order to expand our junior recruitment prospects. Most clubs tend to swap between established development schools (eg Keebra park). We're looking at getting whole regions producing for us.

I know that people hoped to see us start the process of rebuilding with more success. But Rome wasn't built in a day and the club could either make tough calls early on or try to push through with some overpaid players that didn't seem to give a shit about the club.

As I mentioned in the excuses thread, the club is still in a hangover period after having stepped into a system where guys like Brad Abbey and Lloyd Perrett were reputedly on 300k per season contracts before they had played any NRL games.

Compare those several seasons where we failed to recruit a decent fullback or a half with kicking ability to the late season recruitment drive this year. Cogger and Meaney alone are probably the best recruits the club has made in the spine in a really long time. For years we watched an overpaid Mbye talk like he was going to see origin games but not put in on the field. I'm really glad that he was moved on personally. Woods was a dud recruitment call. I'm glad they moved him on too.

We're at a point that I think is pretty much rock bottom in terms of quality and depth. We probably began the season using a squad that would be decent as backup quality. They're improving. But we should only go forward in our future recruitment. This year always had to be about giving young guys a go. Getting the frame to build a strong team around in place.

It's far too soon to be throwing the board to the Wolves. They're making long term plans and clearly stated that when they came to power here.
Perfectly said. Best post in thread.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they do have Hetherington or another junior hooker in mind they still should be buying a short term experienced hooker to help bring the young hooker through. It just seems like a all the eggs in one basket scenario relying on someone in Flegg to come good. I’m not saying he won’t make it but there is no guarantees with junior players.
I agree.. jmk was tried and it was a good idea, but he seems to be developing Lichaitis (the inability to pass to a players midriff)..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree.. jmk was tried and it was a good idea, but he seems to be developing Lichaitis (the inability to pass to a players midriff)..
JMK has the same problem he did in the halves he has no creativity at all. He is just the best of a very bad bunch.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless we are front loading contracts this year we ain’t signing anybody next year besides fringe first graders

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unless we are front loading contracts this year we ain’t signing anybody next year besides fringe first graders
Front loading is the only option IMO..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think ~$1m from this year and ~$2m from next year (without early contract exits) is plenty enough to sign somebodies.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think ~$1m from this year and ~$2m from next year (without early contract exits) is plenty enough to sign somebodies.

Go Dogs
It's as useful to discuss the favourite food of the Lach ness monster. Only those in privileged positions know what we have to spend.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
we could have 2 mil available next year .. but say for instance you have to fill 15 positions, all of a sudden 2 mill wont go to far. and before someone corrects me, IT WAS AN EXAMPLE... so essentially the amount is relative to the number of players required to fill the entire squad.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
How did you come up with these figures?

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what pisses me off more then anything else... is every single one of you whinging for sackings at board level..

Let me get a few things settled once and for all.

1. As much as I feel sorry for pay, with what he’s been given.... I can’t stand pay, he does not have the football acumen, he is merely a stop gap... the board will not sack him!! At least till next year (mid) when we can actually start recruiting... it would be fucken stupid to sack him now and put an interim who knows he won’t be in the job for long... no top flight coach will come into this basket coach right now.... so fucken get over it he’s staying put.

2. To those wanting the board sacked I think is even worse.... you want the club to give you answers but then are whinging about the answers they’re gonna give you

Ohhh it’s gonna be scripted like always, ohh the club aren’t communicating with its fans, WTF DO YOU THINK THE BOARD MEETING IS FOR.

just a bunch of whiny morons who think they know it all, have a cup of concrete and harden up it’s gonna be a tough 18months...

Bye for now
Yup, the board is little more than a year in, with a understrength roster, no cap to fix it and a recovering juniors system.

Like most, I am overly frustrated with Pay's team selections, even knowing he doesn't have much to choose from. Sacking him won't help, no-one that could significantly change things would come near the place anyway.

But its the way we help the opposition that kills me.
- Why leave our best attacking forwards on the bench for half an hour or more?
- Why keep one reserve on the bench until the 73min? Fucking use him.
- Stop doing stupid shit on the field (dropping the fucking ball, kicking straight to the FB on the full every time, only using one kicker etc etc).

I'm not a FG coach, but its not rocket science

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How did you come up with these figures?
This year is the 5% free cap space that we are allowed, and hadn't used, plus whatever Napa costs less than what Klemmer cost.
Next year is the players off contract being Brown, Fualalo, Harper, Katoa, Lichaa, Martin, Olive and Tualau.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This year is the 5% free cap space that we are allowed, and hadn't used, plus whatever Napa costs less than what Klemmer cost.
Next year is the players off contract being Brown, Fualalo, Harper, Katoa, Lichaa, Martin, Olive and Tualau.

Go Dogs
That is all a massive assumption on your part. The players are off contract but you have no idea if we have 5% cap space this year or any other specific cap numbers.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Like most, I am overly frustrated with Pay's team selections, even knowing he doesn't have much to choose from. Sacking him won't help, no-one that could significantly change things would come near the place anyway.
But its the way we help the opposition that kills me.

- Why leave our best attacking forwards on the bench for half an hour or more?
Because they can't play effectively for more than 50 minutes (your numbers, ie; 80 - 30 = 50).

- Why keep one reserve on the bench until the 73min? Fucking use him.
Because the reserve is no better than the guys on the field plus if someone gets injured we play the last 7 mins (again your numbers) with 12 men. Then you would be bitching over being undermanned. I suggest you check other teams' replacement timing, ours is far from unusual.

- Stop doing stupid shit on the field (dropping the fucking ball, kicking straight to the FB on the full every time, only using one kicker etc etc).
That's the players on the field doing it, not the coach up in the box. Plainly they aren't following the coaching team's instructions, evidence by the fact that some (many) have been dropped.

I'm not a FG coach, but its not rocket science
Demonstrably, coaching an NRL team is "rocket science" (your words), that's why there are so few good coaches around.

Go Dogs

Last edited: