Official 2019 Bulldogs Members Forum (Concluded) - See update P10

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That’d be nice wouldn’t it?
The board can control the employment of but not the tactics (or lack thereof) of the coach. One may play into the other of course.
It’s easy to think it’s one big mess but I think we need to look at cap, roster and staff both separately and collectively. There are merits for doing both. One other thing Hilly said on Thursday in response to a question from the floor about the recently departed staff is that not only was that information regrettably leaked - but that they are ‘well into the interview process’ of how they are putting the football department back together. No doubt there will be some announcements at the appropriate time. I get the feeling that part of this restructure was not just about getting rid of dead wood (or Dib appointments/allies), but about giving Pay the support and experience he clearly needs in terms of positions, rotations and game plan. Again, benefit of the doubt for now and hopefully some astute decisions are made.
Gotta agree with you again for sure but it is very unprofessional to be this far down the track of Pay's 2nd season and still elementary misjudgements and inability to put the best team on the paddock (and get the best effort gotta them).

In the meantime our very experienced Football Board are enabling this to happen and are not helping to improve our coach or getting in outside expert positional coaches.

We all understand the constraints only too well, but who can honestly say they feel everything possible is being done to improve our performances.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A lot of people are critical of the way Dean Pay uses the interchange. Some of the people seem to think they know better than Pay.
You can only learn so much from Friday Night Football and blabber mouth Gould.
The Dogs have people on the field and the sidelines, and in the coaches box. They communicate with the coaches box.
A decision is made depending on who is available.
If the coaches box get info that a player is injured or struggling, he will be replaced, irrespective of who he is.
The time of the replacement is irrelevant. Sometimes it seems difficult to understand, but it all done for a reason.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
A lot of people are critical of the way Dean Pay uses the interchange. Some of the people seem to think they know better than Pay.
You can only learn so much from Friday Night Football and blabber mouth Gould.
The Dogs have people on the field and the sidelines, and in the coaches box. They communicate with the coaches box.
A decision is made depending on who is available.
If the coaches box get info that a player is injured or struggling, he will be replaced, irrespective of who he is.
The time of the replacement is irrelevant. Sometimes it seems difficult to understand, but it all done for a reason.
Must be the same sideline eyes Hasler had then ;)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Gotta agree with you again for sure but it is very unprofessional to be this far down the track of Pay's 2nd season and still elementary misjudgements and inability to put the best team on the paddock (and get the best effort gotta them).

In the meantime our very experienced Football Board are enabling this to happen and are not helping to improve our coach or getting in outside expert positional coaches.

We all understand the constraints only too well, but who can honestly say they feel everything possible is being done to improve our performances.
Good observation, I agree. Perhaps they allowed those 4 members of football department enough rope and... they’re now gone. Could be the case that those guys said ‘back us’ for Pay’s second season and the board originally agreed - clearly changing their mind when the results were poor. Despite the riches of the leagues club, the football club still has commercial responsibility - this is a results business and when membership, gate and merch revenue would all be way down (as you’d expect with a losing team) - that’s when the axe fell. Hopefully whoever comes in next can turn the ship around and fairly quickly.

Last edited:

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So 5 people I know went to the Forum.. they did have a chance to mingle right after the forum & get into some personal conversations..

No groundbreaking news but a couple of points that telate to our cap..

1. when one of them asked how much a player like Cogger or Meaney get he was told "you wouldnt expect much change from 300K"..

2. Lichaas previous contract terms has just continued under Pay (so you can budget him on for 300K)..

3. The only player at another club we are paying is Mbye..

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
So 5 people I know went to the Forum.. they did have a chance to mingle right after the forum & get into some personal conversations..

1. when one of them asked how much a player like Cogger or Meaney get he was told "you wouldnt expect much change from 300K"..

2. Lichaas previous contract terms has just continued under Pay (so you can budget him on for 300K)..

We also paying woods

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Re 1. LMFAO $300k+ for Meaney and Cogger... well .. I guess that answers Tooveys question on Controversy Corner re where the money has gone. If Cogger and Meaney are on $300k+, imagine how much we threw at CHN, Sue, and Napa.
Re 2. But his contract had ended with us already.
Re 3. That's what I expected, but I recall Shane Flogagain gloating about making Bulldogs pay as much of Woods wage as possible because we needed to get rid of him.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Re 1. LMFAO $300k+ for Meaney and Cogger... well .. I guess that answers Tooveys question on Controversy Corner re where the money has gone. If Cogger and Meaney are on $300k+, imagine how much we threw at CHN, Sue, and Napa.
Re 2. But his contract had ended with us already.
Re 3. That's what I expected, but I recall Shane Flogagain gloating about making Bulldogs pay as much of Woods wage as possible because we needed to get rid of him.
We did pay for Woods last year.. we didnt want to pay any for this year , so for this year onwards Woods took a pay cut on the difference the Sharks were willing to pay and his Bulldogs contract which was around 150K..

I was told that in November last year..

Re Lichaa his contract for 2018 and 2019 was the same value as before, which was around 300K ..

I have no idea about CHN, Sue etc.. but the figure of 2mill for 3 years is thrown around whenever people speak about Napas deal, that was after we were flush with Klemmers cash..

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who did they ask the cleaners ??

Let me translate this for you.. "I havent got a clue so im just going to have a stab in the dark, 300 hundred sound about right" ....

When someone uses the term "you wouldnt expect" it means that they are guessing ..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Can anybody who actually went elaborate on anything about plans for next yr??
There was none,the usual if's and but's,and backtracking on the real issues.
That's not true, they went through the roster for next year and who was off contract. I didn't really expect things like a wish list of players we are chasing, or positions we would like to fill, or players unlikely to get renewed, moved on etc. That would be a totally unrealistic expectation, especially with the full squad of players and coaching staff in the room listening and the fact that it would be bound to be reported externally.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
At the risk of repeating a previous post, the salary cap is $9.6m spread across 30 players, which is an average of $320K per player per annum, with the NRL designated minimum at $105k. With that in mind I don't see Cogger and Meaney at not "much change from $300k" as being unrealistic ie; as players with as yet unrealised potential they are on less than average NRL salaries. If they reach their full potential in the contract period then not "much change from $300k" would be a bargain.

Go Dogs