News ‘Dean’s been a real visionary’: Bulldogs set to play new brand of footy

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'd much rather us be a well drilled side considering it's well drilled sides that play finals footy and are successful. This heads up nonsense is just nonsense, if an opportunity arises ofcourse I want us to take it and we should, but effectively breaking down sides is what wins Premierships.
I like well drilled sides also, the only eyes up footy that i want to see consistently is when we make a break and get tackled, that we actually have support to capitalise on the next play... rather than running sideways or being so slow that we let the defence get set... has driven me mad the last few seasons

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's nonsense. Lewis is just saying what some fans want to hear or Pay is as simple as I think he is. Do you really think we're actually going to beat teams just playing off the cuff? Fuck no.
Nothing to lose, so why not try out a new style of play and develop the skills as they learn from mistakes and build on successes?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Likely. I'm just worried about us turning into the Raiders as there's already been a few similarities.
We could only dream of being as good as the raiders haha, they have Hodgson and we have Lichaa...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like well drilled sides also, the only eyes up footy that i want to see consistently is when we make a break and get tackled, that we actually have support to capitalise on the next play... rather than running sideways or being so slow that we let the defence get set... has driven me mad the last few seasons
There's defenitely a time and a palace for it, but without the lead up work then you just don't earn the right to play that way. I'd be much more excited to see us this season playing with our forwards running nice lines and us moving the ball around smoothly instead of the usual sloppiness.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Nothing to lose, so why not try out a new style of play and develop the skills as they learn from mistakes and build on successes?
Because we won't build on it. Have the warriors built on it? Raiders? No. Anything worth getting out of playing this way should've been learnt last season, the players should've got the confidence from then and now know that they can perform at a certain level.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There's defenitely a time and a palace for it, but without the lead up work then you just don't earn the right to play that way. I'd be much more excited to see us this season playing with our forwards running nice lines and us moving the ball around smoothly instead of the usual sloppiness.
Yeh, that’s right, we’re gonna start playing like the Harlem globetrotters 5 meters out from our own line. Pay is going to tell the forwards not to make meters. Just start throwing it around from tackle one.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You still need structure and a foundation in attack which allows for ‘eyes up plays’ on occasions.

The halves ultimately drive that but you still need to have various game plans throughout the long season...touch footy doesn’t win NRL chips’.

I just want to see line speed on defence and our middles running fkn hard!

I’d like to see genuine pace out wide too but apart from Reimis we still lack that.

Anyway like every season since I was 10 I am excited and looking forward to it

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s the warriors and they haven’t done anything.

Pay is an idiot. Statements like “play hard” or “play what’s in front of them” is something a dude at the pub would say.
BCMF, leaning up against The Kennel bar where opinions really are like small cocks (every wanker has one), says Pay is an idiot.

Lewis, the emerging star of the NRL, and speaking after a full pre-season under Pay’s tutelage, says he’s a visionary.

Hmm. I wonder who’s thoughts on this subject matter.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I won't have to eat my words because it's either garbage or it won't work. You can't consistently beat NRL teams playing off the top of your head when clubs are so well prepared and drilled.

It would be very hard defending against a team who plays off the cuff mate!

Go the dogs bring it on!!!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd much rather us be a well drilled side considering it's well drilled sides that play finals footy and are successful. This heads up nonsense is just nonsense, if an opportunity arises ofcourse I want us to take it and we should, but effectively breaking down sides is what wins Premierships.
I don’t want to play finals footy every year and not have the class or skill to take it to the next level and play Des ball every year.

Your frickin wrong fullstop buddy!!!

Des never won us a premiership and we never looked like winning bar 2012

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Turn it up, nothing but fucking low quality dribble. Look at the two teams that were just in the grandfinal. Any mention of structure has you ***** flipping out with your "Hur durr desball" garbage. What a fucking weak, stupid argument. Typical Kennel trash.
Please describe in detail what a structured attacking set inside the opposition 30 should look like.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Alot easier to rely on structured attack and set plays if you are trying to isolate a defender against Tedesco, Mitchell or Keary. Slater, Ado Carr or Vunivalu.

Dont think anyone is saying were not going to gameplan against defensive weaknesses

Just that;
We don't have any of that calibre so we will have to mix it up, throw a little caution out the window and use the element of surprise where we can.

And sure, target spot players.

But don't be a douche like Graham and relentlessly dummy the ball for 68 minutes in the hope that you can fool everyone and actually pop an offload out in the 75 minute when were 10 points behind.

It's been a huge weakness of ours being unable or unwilling to change the plan midgame. Now that we are moving towards a more flexible attack its still not good enough for some despite having no fucking idea how the actual playing style will unfold on the field.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Turn it up, nothing but fucking low quality dribble. Look at the two teams that were just in the grandfinal. Any mention of structure has you ***** flipping out with your "Hur durr desball" garbage. What a fucking weak, stupid argument. Typical Kennel trash.

Every team needs structure to win the comp, and I'm certain pay will have structure don't believe otherwise,but how much structure is the question.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dean Pay is right into structured football. He demands that players hold their positions. However, he also likes players to play "whats in front of them".
If theres an opportunity to do something a bit unconventional when the circumstances are right, he is all for it.
Thats something that really cant be coached, its instinctive. Good players have it. Mediocre ones dont.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay needs to make sure our defence is in order

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every team needs structure to win the comp, and I'm certain pay will have structure don't believe otherwise,but how much structure is the question.
It will be a mixture of structure and playing what's tin front of them. The forwards will know their roles, and the halves will play a mix of safe and off the cuff.

The most successful teams in the game don't win by tucking the ball under their arm and kicking on the fifth- every play. I'd rather see us try something unpredictable and entertaining. Boring is not what the Dogs played like when I was young.

Mr Shhh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at who won last year and play like that. That would be a good starting point.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We don’t have to have a expansive style it can just be a simple style of play that we have so finely well tuned that we can execute it perfectly. Winning the ruck is so important and our play the ball speeds have pretty ordinary over the last few years (I haven’t looked at the stats but it just feels like they are) and this is a big thing to fix. Getting the timing right on plays and getting everyone confident they can pull it off and buying in to it will be the key. Hopefully the work has been done over the off season.