One dead, one in a coma, two others stable after Sydney festival overdoses

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly ... you can't legislate against stupidity, so why should society fold to try and protect idiots that have a choice?

Option A ... it's not hard to move a body when it's in a body bag.

Take drugs and potentially die ; OR
Act like a responsible adult, don't take drugs and don't potentially die.

Besides if the new organ donation laws come in at least the organs will go to someone who won't drugfuck them.
That's fine as long as the same goes for alcohol. Someone poisons your beer and you die then suck it. You knew the risks.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol yep, sorry about that.
In our one trial in Australia, the cops promised to turn a blind eye and actually a lot of people had their drugs tested. From memory I think something like 50 people chucked out their drugs after testing them

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With your approach of “oh well more people die from drink driving” so who cares if a small percentage dies from overdoses. I’ve heard this type of rhetoric many times (when it comes to domestic violence) when the male is the actual victim but coz it’s a male and in a smaller number it doesn’t matter.
Lol thanks to the mod for politically correcting my post as I have no idea how to do that

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Lol

Recreational drug users are not junkies....

I had some of the best times of my youth when I was as high as a kite on drugs.

Promote education about responsible use rather than finger waving fearmongering, support pill testing or just legalise the shit and deaths from mdma would be almost non existent.

Why don’t the tabloids and fuddy duddies carry on about the dangers of alcohol when someone has too many at the pub and does harm to themselves or others?

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
In our one trial in Australia, the cops promised to turn a blind eye and actually a lot of people had their drugs tested. From memory I think something like 50 people chucked out their drugs after testing them
125 pills tested with a mix of different drugs. Mainly MDMA

Less than half of the MDMA pills tested has MDMA as the main ingredient. The rest were a mix of other junk with some MDMA in it.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Pill testing won’t stop the deaths, not even close.
They can’t guarantee a drug is safe. What’s safe for some isn’t safe for others.
Nothing is safe for everyone. By your logic, why don’t we ban sugary soft drinks or processed meat?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Groovin the Moo pill testing still resulted in 2 arrests for possesion, and 2 taken to hospital for drug incidents.

Knockout had 3 in hospital with one dieing. So barely a difference.

That's fine as long as the same goes for alcohol. Someone poisons your beer and you die then suck it. You knew the risks.
Yeah but how many people have died drinking booze at a music festival (because that's what we are talking about here).

Can't compare home drinking and home drug use as it's an unknown.

Heck I recall about 6 months ago a teenager died in the hills area from making her own moonshine with Vodka and Gummy Bears and some other shit.

Some Cops do drugs when on leave, its part of Australia, they should at least legalize pot and have drug education in our schools.
Some Cops think the punishment for drugs is death.
Ask Ray Hadleys sone how that turned out. Police can't have drugs in their system at any time once they are a sworn in officer (that includes on leave or not), as even an off duty officer needs to be able to perform in his role need be.

I'm pretty staunch in regards to drugs. Don't legalise any of them like that. Even cannabis causes paranoid schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and a range of other mental illnesses... I've seen it first hand.

The problem with that idea is two fold:
1. Most take their drugs at home / outside the venue to avoid getting caught and done for possession.
2. Anyone taking the drugs inside for testing requires the police to actually break their oath (to protect and serve), because police cannot show discretion when a criminal act / criminal action is taking place.

Pill Testing already exists:
Take the pill.
If you don't die = it's good.
If you do die = too bad it's a dodgy one.

Promote education about responsible use rather than finger waving fearmongering, support pill teating or just legalise the shit and deaths from mdma would be almost non existent.
There is no responsible use when it comes to drugs, because the act of taking drugs is not only criminal, but irresponsible in itself.

Legalising MDMA and other pills won't make a rats arse of difference to the death toll created by bad pills.

Why don’t the tabloids and fuddy duddies carry on about the dangers of alcohol when someone has too many at the pub and harms themselves or others?
Sydney lockout laws due to alcohol consumption and fights beg to differ.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Most take their drugs at home / outside the venue to avoid getting caught and done for possession.
2. Anyone taking the drugs inside for testing requires the police to actually break their oath (to protect and serve), because police cannot show discretion when a criminal act / criminal action is taking place.

Take the pill.
1. No, youd have a shit night if you took it before you went in. They only last an hour, 2 hrs max.

2. The pill testers put covers around the area and cops stayed away. There was a strong enough push that the cops participated that one time. Troy grant didnt like being shown up for the lying scum he is and the cops have never done it again.

Legalising MDMA and other pills won't make a rats arse of difference to the death toll created by bad pills
What?

How do you reach this conclusion ?

If it becomes legal then it becomes legally manufactured. None of the current poisonous shit goes into it. MDMA is not the cause of death in an overwhelming majority if these cases

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Groovin the Moo pill testing still resulted in 2 arrests for possesion, and 2 taken to hospital for drug incidents.

Knockout had 3 in hospital with one dieing. So barely a difference.

Yeah but how many people have died drinking booze at a music festival (because that's what we are talking about here).

Can't compare home drinking and home drug use as it's an unknown.

Heck I recall about 6 months ago a teenager died in the hills area from making her own moonshine with Vodka and Gummy Bears and some other shit.

Ask Ray Hadleys sone how that turned out. Police can't have drugs in their system at any time once they are a sworn in officer (that includes on leave or not), as even an off duty officer needs to be able to perform in his role need be.

I'm pretty staunch in regards to drugs. Don't legalise any of them like that. Even cannabis causes paranoid schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and a range of other mental illnesses... I've seen it first hand.

Take the pill.

There is no responsible use when it comes to drugs, because the act of taking drugs is not only criminal, but irresponsible in itself.

Legalising MDMA and other pills won't make a rats arse of difference to the death toll created by bad pills.

Sydney lockout laws due to alcohol consumption and fights beg to differ.
Seriously, deaths from pills are significantly less than deaths caused by booze, cigarettes, prescription medications which are misused and probably other government sanctioned rubbish like carcinogenic processed foods.

Quality control drastically reduces the chance of death from any substance. Why would pills be any different?

A

Alexander the Great

Some Cops do drugs when on leave, its part of Australia, they should at least legalize pot and have drug education in our schools.
Some Cops think the punishment for drugs is death.
Some cops also supply drugs and help "runs"get set up or taken over for rival gangs.

Handing drugs and mobile phones to the crooks they want in charge.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hard to say. Deaths at festivals by alcohol and drug use are registered under the same thing. Overall 13% of the deaths at festivals are from drug and/or alcohol use but there's no way to know if it's drugs or the alcohol that killed them as they're registered as the same thing.

Not exactly. Well at least, not definitively. Mary Jane has been known to increase episodes with people who already have a mental illness. Some research has found that use increased risk of developing schizophrenia but the studies can't confirm if the people developed it due to smoking pot or if they smoked pot to self medicate their mental illness. There's no studies that definitely say that drug use causes any mental health issue in adults but much more research is needed.

One thing is certain though. It definitely crate mental health issues in someone who is not already prone to mental health issues.

The police chief confirmed before the festival that drug testing was allowed at the festival and no arrests would take place due to drug testing. It was a government supported initiative. If drug testing is allowed it will still be the same. There's no legal issue here when the government is supporting it.

They have drug testing rooms around the country and drug injection rooms that are supported by the government. This is no different.

One person was arrested at the festival for drugs but they were carrying 18 pills so they were arrested for trafficking.

It creates a quality assurance system where drugs are tested and taxed at the source.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'd love to see them do pill testing, where the pills are taken, swapped over, and replaced with a placebo sugar pill.

Guarantee most wouldn't know the difference.

1. No, youd have a shit night if you took it before you went in. They only last an hour, 2 hrs max.
Ohhhhhhhh I get it now... so you have a shit night if you don't take drugs at a music festival.

I've been to shitloads of metal gigs in the past, and drunk booze at probably 1 in 150 concerts I'd say.

Once again I refer to this being a culture thing associated with primarily dance and rave festivals.

and NEWSFLASH - you don't need drugs to have a good time.

If it becomes legal then it becomes legally manufactured. None of the current poisonous shit goes into it. MDMA is not the cause of death in an overwhelming majority if these cases
Most MDMA related deaths are not due to the content of the tablets.

Many are as a result of heart atack brought on by dehydration > heat stroke > heart attack or stroke. Hence why the impact is far later than when taken.

Some as a reaction with alcohol/prescrip medication being taken.

Remember the old Red Bull and pingers death? That was due to a heart attack.

Then theres Anna Woods who from memory drowned consuming TOO MUCH water after popping pills.

Hence most of the time it's safe pills that still kill.

A good mate of mine is St Johns ambo of just under 20 years, and has been to many many concert events. Dehydration is a major issue.

Seriously, deaths from pills are significantly less than deaths caused by booze, cigarettes, prescription medications which are misused and probably other government sanctioned rubbish like carcinogenic processed foods.

Quality control drastically reduces the chance of death from any substance. Why would pills be any different?
You know why that is don't you? Wait for it... wait for it... NEWSFLASH...

BECAUSE IT"S ILLEGAL HENCE LESS PEOPLE PARTAKE IN IT!!!

Deaths from having sex on the blades of a helicopter, or trying to jump out of a commercial air liner would rank even lower than death from pills.. but who does that!

Lets draw a more even comparison here... How many people a year die from krokodil in Australia?
I can tell you the number is 0. WOW hang on ... that means it's safe right?? Must do because nobodies died from it..

No ... it's 0 because it's impossible to get.

But if everyone legally had access to it, many more would die a year. Same applies to MDMA.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'd love to see them do pill testing, where the pills are taken, swapped over, and replaced with a placebo sugar pill.

Ohhhhhhhh I get it now... so you have a shit night if you don't take drugs at a music festival.

I've been to shitloads of metal gigs in the past, and drunk booze at probably 1 in 150 concerts I'd say.

Once again I refer to this being a culture thing associated with primarily dance and rave festivals.

Many are as a result of heart atack brought on by dehydration > heat stroke > heart attack or stroke. Hence why the impact is far later than when taken.

Then theres Anna Woods who from memory drowned consuming TOO MUCH water after popping pills.

A good mate of mine is St Johns ambo of just under 20 years, and has been to many many concert events. Dehydration is a major issue.

Deaths from having sex on the blades of a helicopter, or trying to jump out of a commercial air liner would rank even lower than death from pills.. but who does that!

Lets draw a more even comparison here... How many people a year die from krokodil in Australia?
I can tell you the number is 0. WOW hang on ... that means it's safe right?? Must do because nobodies died from it..

But if everyone legally had access to it, many more would die a year. Same applies to MDMA.
Do you really think drugs aren’t widely used just because they are illegal? Get serious. The risk of dehydration increases with over indulgence.... just as the risk of alcohol poisoning increases with over indulgence. Alcohol is every bit as dangerous as mdma and would orobably be more dangerous if the latter was properly regulated rather than prohibited. Why do you consider yourself an expert on every little thing...even things you don’t have much knowledge about? Having an ambo mate does not make you an authority....festivals are usually held in the heart of summer and get hot. A lot of people who don’t even take drugs no doubt get dehydrated at festivals.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I gotta say one thing i am really curious about, what is the murdoch agenda/angle on this? If both the DT and the after dark ghouls on skynews are pushing this story, what political purpose does it serve for him?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Do you really think drugs aren’t widely used just because they are illegal? Get serious. The risk of dehydration increases with over indulgence.... just as the risk of alcohol poisoning increases with over indulgence. Alcohol is every bit as dangerous as mdma and would orobably be more dangerous if the latter was properly regulated rather than prohibited. Why do you consider yourself an expert on every little thing...even things you don’t have much knowledge about? Having an ambo mate does not make you an authority....festivals are usually held in the heart of summer and get hot. A lot of people who don’t even take drugs no doubt get dehydrated at festivals.
Oh yeah my bad I must have missed reading in the media about all those people dieing purely from heat exhaustion at a concert.

Just because pill testing was done in freezing cold Canberra and in freezing cold areas of europe, doesn't mean the handful of deaths a year from idiots who take drugs will stop.

It's a simple case really. Drugs are illegal, MDMA is illegal, MDMA can kill you, hence take it at your own risk. End of story.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Oh yeah my bad I must have missed reading in the media about all those people dieing purely from heat exhaustion at a concert.

Just because pill testing was done in freezing cold Canberra and in freezing cold areas of europe, doesn't mean the handful of deaths a year from idiots who take drugs will stop.

It's a simple case really. Drugs are illegal, MDMA is illegal, MDMA can kill you, hence take it at your own risk. End of story.
The tabloid media constantly works to promote certain agendas.... a reality you are more than happy to accept when it suits your argument. Plenty of legal substances contain toxins and can kill too. If something is illegal and therefore non regulated, the chances of it killing significantly increase. It’s really not as simple as you make it out to be. If the risks of something doing harm or killing can be reduced, it makes sense to explore avenues to make that happen.

Year after year the tabloid media runs its zero tolerance headlines.... sweet fuck all changes. These stories don’t offer sensible solutions, they merely serve as a platform for unhelpful fuddy diddies to preach their unhelpful, youth demonising bullshit.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The tabloid media constantly works to promote certain agendas.... a reality you are more than happy to accept when it suits your argument. Plenty of legal substances contain toxins and can kill too. If something is illegal and therefore non regulated, the chances of it killing significantly increase. It’s really not as simple as you make it out to be. If the risks of something doing harm or killing can be reduced, it makes sense to explore avenues to make that happen.

Year after year the tabloid media runs its zero tolerance headlines.... sweet fuck all changes. These stories don’t offer sensible solutions, they merely serve as a platform for unhelpful fuddy diddies to preach their unhelpful, youth demonising bullshit.
If the media didn't jump up and down everytime someone offed themselves due to their own stupidity taking pills at a festival, then nobody would be talking about pill testing. So a few dickheads die from poor life choices at concerts a year.. who cares.. collateral damage.

It's illegal to possess MDMA, hence it doesn't matter if its made of unicorn shit, it's still illegal, hence testing is irrelevant. Anyone for pill testing is also for the normalisation of drug use in society, and that's a bad thing.

The government already have solutions being deployed: Banning such events.

AGAIN ... this sort of thing never happens at metal/rock/folk festivals, it's only ever rave/dance festivals. Hence the patrons only have themselves to blame for events like it being banned, if they didn't take drugs in the first place it wouldn't be an issue. There's a serious drug culture around such events. Until that culture is dealt with, deaths will continue and govnerment will continue to ban events.

Also worth noting that with more deaths in certain festivals, insurers offering public liability for such events will start getting edgier as risk profile increases, either pulling insurance for raves/dance festivals, or hiking the prices that high they can't afford premiums.

Likewise police will jack up the costs to attend rave/dance festivals and choke them out that way.

If such events want to continue to exist in the future the organisers need to come up with solutions. Solutions that do not involve glorifying and accepting drug use in their events by way of pill testing, because it will never happen.

Despite Groovin the Moo doing it, Spilt Milk also considered it and pulled the plug at a later date. Groovin the Moo did not attempt to run pill testing at any other event except the Canberra festival.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If the media didn't jump up and down everytime someone offed themselves due to their own stupidity taking pills at a festival, then nobody would be talking about pill testing. So a few dickheads die from poor life choices at concerts a year.. who cares.. collateral damage.

It's illegal to possess MDMA, hence it doesn't matter if its made of unicorn shit, it's still illegal, hence testing is irrelevant. Anyone for pill testing is also for the normalisation of drug use in society, and that's a bad thing.

The government already have solutions being deployed: Banning such events.

AGAIN ... this sort of thing never happens at metal/rock/folk festivals, it's only ever rave/dance festivals. Hence the patrons only have themselves to blame for events like it being banned, if they didn't take drugs in the first place it wouldn't be an issue. There's a serious drug culture around such events. Until that culture is dealt with, deaths will continue and govnerment will continue to ban events.

Also worth noting that with more deaths in certain festivals, insurers offering public liability for such events will start getting edgier as risk profile increases, either pulling insurance for raves/dance festivals, or hiking the prices that high they can't afford premiums.

Likewise police will jack up the costs to attend rave/dance festivals and choke them out that way.

If such events want to continue to exist in the future the organisers need to come up with solutions. Solutions that do not involve glorifying and accepting drug use in their events by way of pill testing, because it will never happen.

Despite Groovin the Moo doing it, Spilt Milk also considered it and pulled the plug at a later date. Groovin the Moo did not attempt to run pill testing at any other event except the Canberra festival.
Whatever gramps. You are narrow minded, your views on this issue are simplistic and I’m going to bed. Prohibition is no solution. All it achieves is to force these sorts of activities further underground.

PS did it ever occur to you when hat the reason this government is tanking in the polls is because it is ridiculously out of touch?

Goodnight.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Mate, i can guarantee you will know the difference between a sugar pill and a pinga. Please dont make stuff up in your argument.