Nick Meaney - 2018 Consolidated Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The kennel is a funny place. There are 3 pages of posts rubbishing the kid after his nrl debut 2 weeks ago where he had a decent game without being exceptional. Then this week when has played a great game, those same posters who bagged the kid are nowhere to be seen. Certainly a glass half empty bunch I would say.

My take is simple. Who cares who we sign. Especially now when we know we have no money. In all honestly when was the last time we signed a crowd favourite? Think back to all your favourite Bulldogs and I bet they were all juniors, or we got them at 15-16 or under 20 level. The last established first grade player we bought that was any good was Terry Lamb. The rest all made our team worse, rather than improved it.

As cliche as it sounds, we are a family club and we do have our own unique DNA. We were better off developing players and always will be.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The kennel is a funny place. There are 3 pages of posts rubbishing the kid after his nrl debut 2 weeks ago where he had a decent game without being exceptional. Then this week when has played a great game, those same posters who bagged the kid are nowhere to be seen. Certainly a glass half empty bunch I would say.

My take is simple. Who cares who we sign. Especially now when we know we have no money. In all honestly when was the last time we signed a crowd favourite? Think back to all your favourite Bulldogs and I bet they were all juniors, or we got them at 15-16 or under 20 level. The last established first grade player we bought that was any good was Terry Lamb. The rest all made our team worse, rather than improved it.

As cliche as it sounds, we are a family club and we do have our own unique DNA. We were better off developing players and always will be.
James Graham

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Vagana

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ok so we have Graham. Would you swap O'Meley, Mason, Britt, Pay, SBW, Miles, Langmack, Folks Gillespie, Price, Smith brothers, Klemmer, to name a few for Graham?

Vagana was great. He lives in my street. Shame he only played for us for 3 years.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I disagree with your points re the last established first graders we signed that were any good. All of our previous captains were great, James Graham, Michael Ennis, Frank Pritchard & Andrew Ryan. Throw in Josh Morris and Luke Patten and that's a decent list of active players just from this decade. Thanks to Des another recruit in Cook has had to make his name elsewhere. Recruitment of established stars under Des was trash but I'll give Pay and his recruitment team a chance. They really can't be any worse than the previous team anyway

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I disagree with your points re the last established first graders we signed that were any good. All of our previous captains were great, James Graham, Michael Ennis, Frank Pritchard & Andrew Ryan. Throw in Josh Morris and Luke Patten and that's a decent list of active players just from this decade. Thanks to Des another recruit in Cook has had to make his name elsewhere. Recruitment of established stars under Des was trash but I'll give Pay and his recruitment team a chance. They really can't be any worse than the previous team anyway
James Graham technically made his nrl debut with the Bulldogs so he didn't come from another nrl team. Most bulldog supporters hated Ennis when he played for us and even more so now. Frank the tank was a fan favourite but has nothing on those I mentioned earlier and was second to Kasiano even during his time at the club. Ryan is the only one on that list who could be considered a bulldog great or fan favourite.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I didn't even read past the part regarding meaney, and liked your post just for that. Can't say I've seen much of him, but have seen every game he's played since coming into first grade and sure, he isn't rts or tedesco, but he seems fairly quick, solid under the high ball and can sniff out a try.
I'm happy we signed him

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
How long since we contested a bomb and scored?
He's on the right track.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
James Graham technically made his nrl debut with the Bulldogs so he didn't come from another nrl team. Most bulldog supporters hated Ennis when he played for us and even more so now. Frank the tank was a fan favourite but has nothing on those I mentioned earlier and was second to Kasiano even during his time at the club. Ryan is the only one on that list who could be considered a bulldog great or fan favourite.
I disagree but won’t bother continuing as that’s just your opinion on those players

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its so important that Meaney goes OK for us, as Hopoate is out of his depth at FB. Hoppa is the slowest fullback in the NRL. He misses tackles,
and his kick returns are abysmal. I cannot understand the enthusiasm for him. He plays one good game every 10.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its so important that Meaney goes OK for us, as Hopoate is out of his depth at FB. Hoppa is the slowest fullback in the NRL. He misses tackles,
and his kick returns are abysmal. I cannot understand the enthusiasm for him. He plays one good game every 10.
I’m with you mate
Watching him at the games gives me a real sense of just how slow he is
Takes the high ball but doesn’t have any real zip
Meaney is fast and that is so important
Our backline needs some speed,real speed

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok so we have Graham. Would you swap O'Meley, Mason, Britt, Pay, SBW, Miles, Langmack, Folks Gillespie, Price, Smith brothers, Klemmer, to name a few for Graham?

Vagana was great. He lives in my street. Shame he only played for us for 3 years.
I still cant believe we never got his brother Joe...

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Not only that but he loves letting ball bounce far too much which I seriously cannot understand. In 2018 if you watch the Fkn ball bounce without even looking to contest it, you should not be in the NRL!

I too can’t understand the hard on for this bloke. He has never even come close to his form post Mormon mission. He should be left out on the wing or centres until someone better comes along.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I’m with you mate
Watching him at the games gives me a real sense of just how slow he is
Takes the high ball but doesn’t have any real zip
Meaney is fast and that is so important
Our backline needs some speed,real speed
I want him to be our left centre, with a speedster like Gela-Mosby outside him, that way we can utilse hoppa's quick hands hopefully

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The club has shown some interest in Anthony Don from the Titans.

Status
Not open for further replies.