Nick Meaney - 2018 Consolidated Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hoppa is another overpaid hasler flop. Gets exposed and is well contained against quality sides. He has been going ok the last 2-3 weeks but we’ve either lost or defeated sides badly out of form. We haven’t won because of him but we’ve lost many while he was at the back.

Haven’t seen Meaney play but sounds like another “quality” signing. We’ll wait and see.
You’d be really fun at parties!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hoppa is another overpaid hasler flop. Gets exposed and is well contained against quality sides. He has been going ok the last 2-3 weeks but we’ve either lost or defeated sides badly out of form. We haven’t won because of him but we’ve lost many while he was at the back.

Haven’t seen Meaney play but sounds like another “quality” signing. We’ll wait and see.
Meaney may not be a quality signing, but he is certainly better than what Hopoate offers.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wasn’t impressed so far. But showed some real promise today. His contact isn’t great but being only 20 a few kilos in the off season will help that.
What do you mean by his contract isn’t great?

3 years and it should be cheap for a kid that’s trying to establish himself in the nrl. I think that’s a great contract in our current climate.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean by his contract isn’t great?

3 years and it should be cheap for a kid that’s trying to establish himself in the nrl. I think that’s a great contract in our current climate.
Cont-act, not cont-ract...

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Consistently Knights player of the year, played under 20's Origin.. I know juniors doesn't always amount to a quality first grader, but he strikes me as somebody who is keen and willing to work.. I like how he is always in the frame in the few first grade appearances he has had... could be in for a big 2019 with a full pre season with us under his belt

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Consistently Knights player of the year, played under 20's Origin.. I know juniors doesn't always amount to a quality first grader, but he strikes me as somebody who is keen and willing to work.. I like how he is always in the frame in the few first grade appearances he has had... could be in for a big 2019 with a full pre season with us under his belt
I like the kid as well. he follows the ball for the first 2 to 3 tackles dying for someone to pass it to him. His tackling needs improving but looking forward to him next year playing fullback for the dogs hoping someone like lewis might give him a few pointers on tacklling.. just wonder how fast he is havent seen him get a clear run yet. looks like we might have some speed in the team next year the way smith and adding Meaney.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I reckon he has improved each game he has played, which is a good sign

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like the kid as well. he follows the ball for the first 2 to 3 tackles dying for someone to pass it to him. His tackling needs improving but looking forward to him next year playing fullback for the dogs hoping someone like lewis might give him a few pointers on tacklling.. just wonder how fast he is havent seen him get a clear run yet. looks like we might have some speed in the team next year the way smith and adding Meaney.
Meaney's strength is his short distance speed, was reported he was the fastest over 40m at the Knights in 2017. Can barely remember who the Knights had on the books in 2017 though so the competition might not have been that flash lol.

Anyway just looking at him and he definitely feels a lot faster off the mark than all of our current backs in firstgrade..his overall speed is kind of hard to get a read on because like you i haven't really seen him get into the clear and cover a lot of space, he has also come back from a foot/ankle injury that kept him out for a while so i don't know if that has had any sort of impact on him. It's probably safe to say he is atleast somewhere between the Morris brothers.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d take someone who can run 20-40 fast then someone who can run 100 fast. The only person who has explosive speed and top end that I can think of is James Roberts.

But for mine the first 5-6 steps are more important then striding in the open for a fullback. Barba was never a 100 meter sprinter. Morris pipped him in the 100 bolt dash even though Barba’s pace from a stand still was insane.

Never seen Meaney play. But one this is if he is improving he will come good.

A bit unrelated but Cedi osman used to come on for the cavs and would fuck up. Literally bad turn overs, couldn’t bring the ball up court. The coaching staff said the experience and mistakes is the only way he’ll learn. Most likely he will start this year. Just goes to show young players need court time in top competitions to improve. Not saying Meaney will be a gun. But this experience definitely won’t hurt him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’d take someone who can run 20-40 fast then someone who can run 100 fast. The only person who has explosive speed and top end that I can think of is James Roberts.

But for mine the first 5-6 steps are more important then striding in the open for a fullback. Barba was never a 100 meter sprinter. Morris pipped him in the 100 bolt dash even though Barba’s pace from a stand still was insane.

Never seen Meaney play. But one this is if he is improving he will come good.

A bit unrelated but Cedi osman used to come on for the cavs and would fuck up. Literally bad turn overs, couldn’t bring the ball up court. The coaching staff said the experience and mistakes is the only way he’ll learn. Most likely he will start this year. Just goes to show young players need court time in top competitions to improve. Not saying Meaney will be a gun. But this experience definitely won’t hurt him.
Yes, at fullback you definitely need that pace off the mark and it's why Hoppa will never lock down the fullback position. So many chances are missed because he can't get around a player, change direction quick enough or accelerate into a half gap fast enough and in the end he's relying on powering through defenders or a pass/offload.

I honestly don't know what we do with Hoppa, his lack of acceleration and agility just makes it so hard for him to lock down a spot in the backline and he is kind of just used to fill gaps wherever they pop up. His ball skills are great, as is his footy sense and i kind of wanted to see him given a crack at 5/8 because of it. Didn't happen though.

I guess Hoppa will probably be forced back to centre next season down to us just having a complete lack of centres. Hopefully he spends all off season just doing agility drills and we can find a quick winger to play off of him. Wing is also an option for him as he pretty much brings pretty much everything you need from a winger in todays game and if he can time his runs as well as Oates then it takes away the issue of acceleration and agility in most situations.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meaney's strength is his short distance speed, was reported he was the fastest over 40m at the Knights in 2017. Can barely remember who the Knights had on the books in 2017 though so the competition might not have been that flash lol.

Anyway just looking at him and he definitely feels a lot faster off the mark than all of our current backs in firstgrade..his overall speed is kind of hard to get a read on because like you i haven't really seen him get into the clear and cover a lot of space, he has also come back from a foot/ankle injury that kept him out for a while so i don't know if that has had any sort of impact on him. It's probably safe to say he is atleast somewhere between the Morris brothers.
I didn't know he was fast over 40m he looks like he is fast for his build and from what i have seen. thats a plus though being fast over 40m. appreciate the info. hoping maybe next year a few intercepts and his over the line would be nice. like what his doing at the knights so far considering his injury like you said and only a handful of games. looks like they have confidence in him at the knights. like the signing.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
One thing I find interesting, is he hasn't scored that many tries in NSW Cup, despite being highly rated (and injured half the year with a leg injury).

Still, if he was a really exciting prospect one would have thought he'd be carving up at NSW Cup level.

2017 - 24 games / 5 tries / 13 Try Assists / 13 Line Breaks / 80% Tackle Efficiency /
2018 - 9 games / 2 tries / 1 Try Assist / 1 Line Break / 69% Tackle Efficiency /

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not yet convinced starting Meaney at fullback Rnd 1 2019 makes us stronger. He would want to have a mean pre-season to slot straight in ahead of Hoppa.

Last edited:

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing I find interesting, is he hasn't scored that many tries in NSW Cup, despite being highly rated (and injured half the year with a leg injury).

Still, if he was a really exciting prospect one would have thought he'd be carving up at NSW Cup level.

2017 - 24 games / 5 tries / 13 Try Assists / 13 Line Breaks / 80% Tackle Efficiency /
2018 - 9 games / 2 tries / 1 Try Assist / 1 Line Break / 69% Tackle Efficiency /
I just think that once the kid settles into first grade with good players around him we will see the best of Nick. Appreciate the info interesting. Hoping he will be an exiting prospect 2019 looking good for us.

Malla

Reaction score

Given he is a fullback he is going to be finishing off plays created by others, and judging by Newcastles ISP team (Dead last) they are shit so he wouldn't be getting many opportunities from his forward pack and his halves.

His 2017 stats were much better - they had a better team around Meaney. He will be fine!

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you actually watch any games,and you and your statistics,who cares about statistics,reimis Smith,Lachlan Lewis,Rhys Martin,ordinary in isp,look at them now,if you have talent you must play against talent,to bring out the best in you

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Do you actually watch any games,and you and your statistics,who cares about statistics,reimis Smith,Lachlan Lewis,Rhys Martin,ordinary in isp,look at them now,if you have talent you must play against talent,to bring out the best in you
Statistics show facts, not dreams.

Smith, Lewis and Martin all stood out above the pack and stamped their names in NSW Cup.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if he has a strong kicking game ? Ideally long range to take pressure of Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.