Youtuber Charged For Hate Crime Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I had a dog a while back that was as friendly as you could get unless you were an old person. Any senior citizen my dog saw she would try to rip them to shreds.
When i first got mine, he used to bark at bicycles - I worked out it was the movement of the wheels that upset him.

But it got really embarrassing one day when he went off at two people in wheelchairs...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As a breed they've got good personality and one of the things that scientists have collected evidence suggesting that dogs that have more forward pointing eyes are seemingly more able to read human emotion through facial expression. But in terms of natural selection we've made them a species that would struggle to survive based on hunting ability etc.

Selective breeding hasn't been kind to a lot of dog breeds. I can't find the article anymore , but I recall seeing a pictorial comparison of dog breeds around 200 years ago compared to modern versions of the same dogs, complete with lists of how the modern versions had inherent problems due to their current shapes. It made me a bit sad seeing the changes in shape and reading how the selective breeding has caused so many popular breeds to suffer for what humans consider to be more fashionable dogs. But selective breeding isn't something we've isolated to dog breeds. Even things like goldfish have been bred to be visually appealing to some people, while the result typically means that many of the new selectively bred fish would be unable to survive outside of human controlled environments.

Edit. heres the thing i read
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4308860/Photos-selective-breeding-altered-dogs.html
I find the breeding practices really interesting. Like the cats that were bred to be house cats, but there were some bred to be hunters. That's where the massive maine coon cats came from. They were originally bread to defend the wheat silos from rodents.

Gold fish is a funny thing. I remember when we were in Japan as kids and the look of horror my sister had on her face when she was asking what kind of fish she was eating and the Japanese waitress said, "How do you say it in English... ahh.. Goldfish". My mother's response was, "These are real Goldfish. Not the ones that have been bred to be house pets"

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When i first got mine, he used to bark at bicycles - I worked out it was the movement of the wheels that upset him.

But it got really embarrassing one day when he went off at two people in wheelchairs...
My cousin bought a Bull terrier that he trained to hate anyone with dark skin. He wound up giving the dog to my dad. She was incredibly protective of the yard, but generally friendly with anyone that had a light complexion when walking in public. But we had to stop taking her for walks to the shops after she tried to attack an aboriginal kid while letting three white kids smother her with affection. Aboriginal kid approached and she turns into a maniac. Awkward.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I find the breeding practices really interesting. Like the cats that were bred to be house cats, but there were some bred to be hunters. That's where the massive maine coon cats came from. They were originally bread to defend the wheat silos from rodents.

Gold fish is a funny thing. I remember when we were in Japan as kids and the look of horror my sister had on her face when she was asking what kind of fish she was eating and the Japanese waitress said, "How do you say it in English... ahh.. Goldfish". My mother's response was, "These are real Goldfish. Not the ones that have been bred to be house pets"
Even the commonly sold comet goldfish would generally live for 20+ years and grow larger than a foot long in a large enough tank. But if you keep them in a small tank they usually die pretty young because their organs keep expanding till they fail inside their body after the tank size restricts their bodies growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.