Youtuber Charged For Hate Crime Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
A popular YouTuber was convicted of a hate crime in Britain on Tuesday after teaching a pet dog to give a Nazi salute and posting the video online.

Mark Meechan, better known as Count Dankula, was found guilty under the Communications Act after posting a video showing his girlfriend’s dog reacting to phrases such as “Sieg Heil" and "Gas the Jews" with what appears to be a Nazi salute.

Sheriff Derek O'Carroll said Meechan’s video was “grossly offensive” and did not buy the man’s defense that it was merely a joke to annoy his girlfriend, the Herald Scotlandreported.

The YouTuber’s case became widely known after he was arrested in 2016 when the video went viral.

Suzanne Kelly, the girlfriend, defended Meechan last year in court, saying he is not anti-Semitic and has “always been very supportive towards minority groups,” according to the paper.

"[The dog] will lift his paw to virtually anything if he gets a treat for it. We have taught him to lift his paw to food, like ham or cheese,” she also said in court. "They were just words to make him lift his paw and I know those words were used in the context of the video.

Tuesday’s shock verdict prompted support from comedian Ricky Gervais, who tweeted: “A man has been convicted in a UK court of making a joke that was deemed 'grossly offensive'. If you don't believe in a person's right to say things that you might find 'grossly offensive', then you don't believe in Freedom of Speech."

Speaking after the verdict, Meechan said: "There has been a huge miscarriage of justice.

"I think it is a very, very dark day in terms of freedom of speech and freedom of expression. One of the primary things that must be considered in cases like this is context and intent and today context and intent were completely disregarded,” he continued.

"For the system to actually disregard such things means that your actions no longer matter - they decide what your context and intent is.

"For any comedians making jokes in Britain, I'd be very, very worried about your future because - the context and intent - apparently they don't matter anymore."

Meechan's sentencing date is set for April 23.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watch this reaction video of Jonathan Pie on the whole thing @TANK 2.0 @south of heaven i think it's up ur ally. He does make some good points. The end is the best!

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Back Story ..

So the guy tried to troll his girlfriend by teaching her Pug to react to the quotes:
"Gas the Jews" - and have it pay attention.
"Seig Heil" - and have it raise it's paw.

People got offended and it went from there.

This was the video in question:

Funny = Subjectively (I personally didn't find it amusing but rather silly).
Silly = Sure.
Offensive to some = Absolutely.
Enticing racial hatred = Only if people taught their dogs to also do it, and then used those lines in public.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wow. What tolerant and free world we live in where jokes can’t be made unless they’re from a certain political side.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Back Story ..

So the guy tried to troll his girlfriend by teaching her Pug to react to the quotes:
"Gas the Jews" - and have it pay attention.
"Seig Heil" - and have it raise it's paw.

People got offended and it went from there.

This was the video in question:

Funny = Subjectively (I personally didn't find it amusing but rather silly).
Silly = Sure.
Offensive to some = Absolutely.
Enticing racial hatred = Only if people taught their dogs to also do it, and then used those lines in public.
lol does this mean what I find offensive I can complain about and get someone charged? Orrrrr is there certain things allowed? I’m new to this sort of thing.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is the direction the world is taking. We're moving to a predominantly cyber world where things like cyber bullying have real effects on the real world.

But instead of focusing on cyber bullying which is doing actual harm, we're getting confused and destroying people's lives 'cause they made a joke that offended some people but harmed no one.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The jews are running the show in England, you can't make jokes about them.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is the direction the world is taking. We're moving to a predominantly cyber world where things like cyber bullying have real effects on the real world.

But instead of focusing on cyber bullying which is doing actual harm, we're getting confused and destroying people's lives 'cause they made a joke that offended some people but harmed no one.
That’s a nice neutral observation you have there.
Honestly I get some Jews may be offended but there’s plenty that don’t get offended and the main ones who are offended aren’t even Jew or even have a personal connection to hitlers evils. It’s funny though, only right wing jokers are getting fucked, left wing joksters get away with their jokes which is how it should be but there shouldn’t be a double standard.

I think people want it both ways from both sides right and left, they wanna be able to have free speech for themselves but can’t hack it coming back at them, the major difference is though, the government is severely left in who they look out for as evident by almaot all cases righties are the ones feeling the force of the law whilst the lefties are free to say as they please because they’ve instilled this belief that they’re about equality and tolerance, and people who just blindly believe anything which is a lot of people believe that shit.

If people can’t hack offensive material they should not be on the internet simpleas that, and if they’re offended by what a random says then they can have a sook.

Unless it’s actual legitimate death threats and advocacy for violence, people should grow a pair including females lol

Last edited:

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The jews are running the show in England, you can't make jokes about them.
There’s only one religion you can make fun of without it being an issue lol. Also if you think Amy schumar isn’t funny you’re likely a whitey misogynist sexist grab me by the Pusey type fella of patriarchal descent lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s a nice neutral observation you have there.
Honestly I get some Jews may be offended but there’s plenty that don’t get offended and the main ones who are offended aren’t even Jew or even have a personal connection to hitlers evils. It’s funny though, only right wing jokers are getting fucked, left wing joksters get away with their jokes which is how it should be but there shouldn’t be a double standard.

I think people want it both ways from both sides right and left, they wanna be able to have free speech for themselves but can’t hack it coming back at them, the major difference is though, the government is severely left in who they look out for as evident by almaot all cases righties are the ones feeling the force of the law whilst the lefties are free to say as they please because they’ve instilled this belief that they’re about equality and tolerance, and people who just blindly believe anything which is a lot of people believe that shit.

If people can’t hack offensive material they should not be on the internet simpleas that, and if they’re offended by what a random says then they can have a sook.

Unless it’s actual legitimate death threats and advocacy for violence, people should grow a pair including females lol
When it comes to cyber bullying I 100% understand it. Online profiles have become a massive part of every day life. If you get bullied online there's nothing you can do 'cause you're so ingrained in that medium just as you're ingrained in your normal positions in life like school and work.

That's why when kids get cyber bullied online they end up killing themselves. That's why I understand the stance against cyber bullying...

But as far as this goes, it's a joke. It's not directly targeted at any one person and it's a joke. People will get offended but fuck 'em. I understand the stance against blatant attacks on any culture and personally I think this is in poor taste, but if I don't like it then I won't subscribe to his channel. I won't watch his YouTube videos. I'm not a moron. I know how to protect myself and in this case I can walk away. I can turn it off and watch something else.

You know me and you know I will defend anyone who is being attacked. If someone straight out attacks someone for any reason then I'm going to defend them. But I won't defend this soft left-wing "I take offence to everything" bullshit. If something offends you and you can remove yourself from it then you have no rights over that content. If something pisses you off and you can walk away then walk away. Don't tell the world to adhere to your beliefs.

To quote Stephen Fry:

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There’s only one religion you can make fun of without it being an issue lol. Also if you think Amy schumar isn’t funny you’re likely a whitey misogynist sexist grab me by the Pusey type fella of patriarchal descent lol
If you make fun of Christianity then the only people who will get offended is people like you. Most will say, "very funny" and move on.

If you make fun of Islam most will not get offended. Except for the people who are about to blow you up.

If you make fun of the Jewish then they won't get offended and they will let it pass... But for some reason the money has disappeared from your bank account and there's now two planes flying toward your towers.

That's a joke. Please don't send me to prison.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Watch this reaction video of Jonathan Pie on the whole thing @TANK 2.0 @south of heaven i think it's up ur ally. He does make some good points. The end is the best!

I love Jonathan Pie. He's just a comedian (his name isn't even Jonathan Pie, that's a character he made up) but he's awesome and while his stuff is for comedy purposes, he also does it because he believes in what he says.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you make fun of Christianity then the only people who will get offended is people like you. Most will say, "very funny" and move on.

If you make fun of Islam most will not get offended. Except for the people who are about to blow you up.

If you make fun of the Jewish then they won't get offended and they will let it pass... But for some reason the money has disappeared from your bank account and there's now two planes flying toward your towers.

That's a joke. Please don't send me to prison.
I watch South Park they destroy Christianity on a daily lol, I don’t exavtly like it obviously but I’m not emailing or complaining coz if I do that I become just as toxic as the leftists complaining about everything. If people wanna laugh at others or joke at groups or whatever they have to be prepared to get it back and not take it so personally even if within themselves they’re offended.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When it comes to cyber bullying I 100% understand it. Online profiles have become a massive part of every day life. If you get bullied online there's nothing you can do 'cause you're so ingrained in that medium just as you're ingrained in your normal positions in life like school and work.

That's why when kids get cyber bullied online they end up killing themselves. That's why I understand the stance against cyber bullying...

But as far as this goes, it's a joke. It's not directly targeted at any one person and it's a joke. People will get offended but fuck 'em. I understand the stance against blatant attacks on any culture and personally I think this is in poor taste, but if I don't like it then I won't subscribe to his channel. I won't watch his YouTube videos. I'm not a moron. I know how to protect myself and in this case I can walk away. I can turn it off and watch something else.

You know me and you know I will defend anyone who is being attacked. If someone straight out attacks someone for any reason then I'm going to defend them. But I won't defend this soft left-wing "I take offence to everything" bullshit. If something offends you and you can remove yourself from it then you have no rights over that content. If something pisses you off and you can walk away then walk away. Don't tell the world to adhere to your beliefs.

To quote Stephen Fry:

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."
If that’s a quote from Stephen fry I’m pleasantly surprised tbh.

The issue with the cyber bully movement is the left isn’t using it as a platform to outright stop people from having free speech or joking like in this article.

Children being subjected to cyber bullying should be addressed which it is and there needs to be a way to stop the suicides. Maybe parents should take more initiative being more aware of what their kids are upto and supervising even. Probably have an age limit or something u have no idea, it’s hard to fix especially with the political left jumping on it for their agenda purely and nothing else.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
If it was a joke about muslims he would’ve got a medal for his efforts.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Online bullying that's an interesting topic and probably for another thread.

At the very most it was stupid and unfunny... but hardly illegal, nor warranting criminal charges.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm offended by pugs a bit TBH.

The poor bastards have been bred to basically look and sounds like they are having a permanent asthma attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.