King - a rotation prop, not a gun.
Mahoney- above average
Knight - a reserve grader at Souths
Salmon- a reserve grader at Penrith
RFM- tries hard, but lucky to be in top 17
Patolo - essentially a rookie
Hughes- essentially a rookie.
SST- broken and nearing retirement.
Next year the vlub will have the weakest pack by far and weaker than when the likes of Wood and Tolman were still at the club.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The chaos clubs like us, Tiger, Dragon, Titan are all looking at 2024. Meanwhile the successful clubs believe they can achieve something special in 2023.

A strong finish to the season = papering cracks. You'd rather a tough loss giving everything you've got in a finals match.

Sick of the loser mentality narratives: ReVeNgE, FiNiSh ThE sEaSoN sTrOnGe, Re-SiGn ThOmPsOn.

The loser mentality has to be dealt with and weeded out.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's not much independent thought going on here. It seems so many fans are happy to go along with Goulds narrative about eating more shit for long term success down the track and too much talk of pathways being the only answer. That's all more deflection talk, passing the buck so us supporter's will feel keep on fighting the good fight

Warriors have been woeful for some time and now looking like one of the better teams. They have done a wonderful job turning it around in a very short space of time.

We've allegedly got this elite coach who can do no wrong and some pretty handy players on the books and can't do anything right.
Broncos the same and Cowboys. All have one thing in common. They all bought in good experienced 7's. Johnson, Reynolds, Townsend. Wouldlike to know if we even bothered putting in an offer for Reynolds or Townsend (doubt it). With Johnson seems we were trying to sign him on unders. If we'd paid an extra 200K maybe we nabbed him. We should have offered more to Leniu also then we mightn't be so desperate for props.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My plan is to leave it up to people that have a fucking clue.
So how's that working for us so far ?

But do they actually have a clue ? Read the article. Gus is virtually admitting he's out of ideas. Can't give any timeline on a fix

We re-sign Thompson and bring in a broken SST ?. We're worse off than we were this year with TPJ playing

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So how's that working for us so far ?

But do they actually have a clue ? Read the article. Gus is virtually admitting he's out of ideas. Can't give any timeline on a fix

We re-sign Thompson and bring in a broken SST ?. We're worse off than we were this year with TPJ playing
We need to blow it all up and start again which means we need to move on players or wait until contracts run down. The coach in same boat. The rebuild of the rebuild of the rebuild of the rebuild. After the last 2 years we're so far away and need way too much.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m sure they’re after cleaners .. full training offered ..
I think I am suited to either an assistant coaching role or recruitment. Whatever Scott Fulton is at the tigers.
I need to have my say in the direction of the roster. I have been right for years on this subject and I need to be in a position of influence where I can make it happen.
I can honestly tell you that we would not have had a halfback problem if I was there

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Our problem in recent years has been actually very concentrated to these three things.
1. Inexperience of coaches. We bounced from Pay to Baz to CC and overlooked Holbrook and most notably Flanno in the process. We required runs on the board and an older head. I don’t know why we thought switching a semi rookie panthers assistant with another panthers assistant on 5 years was a good deal. Gus even said we needed an experienced coach and we had that. Flanno. This was the first mistake.
2. Unbalanced squad. We loaded up our money on wingers like DWZ, Cotric and JAC and went tight on the positions that matter. The spine. We also had too many mid tier players tying up 500k type contracts when the salary cap was 8 mil. We needed some leaders not also rans.
3. Over compensation. Like the little Indian driving a Mack truck. We went overboard in over compensating our deficiencies.
We had a team that could defend with their life in Dean and late Des, but couldn’t score points. Naturally we brought in some flair which was a good move.
But went overboard.
Can anyone honestly say removing players like tolman and Holland and then bringing in JAC, Naden, Dufty, xerri, Burton, TPJ, Averillo and Okenbour was not going to be a defensive disaster??
That’s where we at

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd be looking to seriously bring Meaney and Klemer back to the club in the next couple of years. Meaney is now a polished FB. I'd play Crighton in centres with Xerri. The pre season is all you need to learn centre defensive systems. The game hasn't changed.
Not sure Skelton is going to be as damaging as Warbrick but he must be given a proper opportunity. Kiraz is surplus and will have a cover role.
I'd start the year with Sexton and Burton again as halves. Taffe would be my 14. If Burton doesn't fire, he could be moved in game to lock or centre with Taffe coming on.
Not sure we keeping RFM. If so he's starting 13. Kikau and Preston our 2nd row. SST and King our props.
We missed Jackson as defensive middle this year tying us together. Seriously could we get Adam Elliot back? Or Nathan Brown?
There's big guys coming through Warriors lower grades. We need grunt up font. There's bound to be juniors available. Sure Pele, TPJ didn't work out, we keep moving forward with others.
I'd also enquire what Paul Vaughans appetite to come back us is.
We have cap space with Thompson and TPJ going so everyone I've mentioned here is possible.
I wouldn't be moving Potter on. I see him as a potential FG coach should it become obvious by mid season that CC has lost the dressing room.
These players won't win you a title. But we'd be more competitive. It's impossible to recruit the players you need to win a title. They must be developed, so keep scouting Under 18 comps, in NSW, Qld and NZ.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd be looking to seriously bring Meaney and Klemer back to the club in the next couple of years. Meaney is now a polished FB. I'd play Crighton in centres with Xerri. The pre season is all you need to learn centre defensive systems. The game hasn't changed.
Not sure Skelton is going to be as damaging as Warbrick but he must be given a proper opportunity. Kiraz is surplus and will have a cover role.
I'd start the year with Sexton and Burton again as halves. Taffe would be my 14. If Burton doesn't fire, he could be moved in game to lock or centre with Taffe coming on.
Not sure we keeping RFM. If so he's starting 13. Kikau and Preston our 2nd row. SST and King our props.
We missed Jackson as defensive middle this year tying us together. Seriously could we get Adam Elliot back? Or Nathan Brown?
There's big guys coming through Warriors lower grades. We need grunt up font. There's bound to be juniors available. Sure Pele, TPJ didn't work out, we keep moving forward with others.
I'd also enquire what Paul Vaughans appetite to come back us is.
We have cap space with Thompson and TPJ going so everyone I've mentioned here is possible.
I wouldn't be moving Potter on. I see him as a potential FG coach should it become obvious by mid season that CC has lost the dressing room.
These players won't win you a title. But we'd be more competitive. It's impossible to recruit the players you need to win a title. They must be developed, so keep scouting Under 18 comps, in NSW, Qld and NZ.
Nathan brown would be a dream come true.
As for your last line. Scouting under 18 comps might work to get another Chris Patolo in two years but I twont help us in the near future
There’s no undiscovered gems at that age

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I am suited to either an assistant coaching role or recruitment. Whatever Scott Fulton is at the tigers.
I need to have my say in the direction of the roster. I have been right for years on this subject and I need to be in a position of influence where I can make it happen.
I can honestly tell you that we would not have had a halfback problem if I was there
Please send resume to
Canterbury Bankstown Rugby League Club
C/O Phil Gould

Please thoroughly cover the below

Level of Education.
Current and past employment history, with references.
Years playing rugby league, clubs played for and grade reached.
Experience training professional rugby league players, understanding of training and fitness structures.
Level of understanding of both attack and defence structures, clubs worked for in this area and experience history.
On the recruitment side, please state experience, clubs worked for.
Relationships with player managers, level of understanding around legal clauses and player contracts.
Experience in roster management, experience around salary cap management.

Please give a detailed understanding of your recruitment strategies, how you spot talent, what junior and senior clubs do you affiliate yourself with and currently have long standing relationships with.

You mention halfback, please give a detailed account of how you would have solved this problem.

If you meet all above criteria’s and are suitable for the position I’m sure you’ll hear back from them.

Last edited: