Your favorite Folkes moments

Status
Not open for further replies.

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
List your top 3 favorite moments or games we've had under Folkes' reign as coach.

1- Winning the '04 Grand Final

2- Beating Newcastle by comming from behind and Hazem landing "that kick"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiWcGE0HDo

3- Matt Utai scoring to win against the Roosters. Scores were locked up at 26-all and he did his famous "Utai Slam" in the corner to win the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOwGjkwBxyM

What great moments. I havnt seen magic plays or tries such as these for a while now :(

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could watch these videos all day long

The look on Hagan's face- Priceless

DOGS MAFIA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1.the Greatest Comeback In Finals History Against Parra

2.2004 Grand Final

3.comeback Win Against Knights & Smashing Parra Round 1 In 2004

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
on results I'd have say outclassing and outlasting about 3 or 4 Rorters coaches in Gould, Murray, Stuart, Anderson...who else

P.M.

Ban Ned
Reaction score
OMG that Utai try gave me tingles down my spine cos I remember being at that game and going off like never before, hugging random people and my dad dropping his phone down the aisle :p

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 2004 GF
2 1998 finals series ( probally his best acievement )
3 17 wins in a row

DOGG STIEL

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The 1998 finals series is my fondest memory. In the week leading up to the Parra semi the media was saying the Bulldogs are too fatigued and they wouldnt be able to beat the Eels, Folkes responded by saying "Fatigue is just a state of mind". During the television coverage of the match when Parra was leading 18-2, Sterlo thought it was an oportune time to let rip at Steve Folkes and repeated the quote that Folkes had made. Sterlo thought he was safe because the Eels were ahead 18-2. 20 mins later Sterlo was made to eat Humble pie. In fact Steve Folkes shuved the Humble Pie up his tiny arse ! HAHAHA i will always remember this

-313-

Seeing these footage and seeing our team today makes me depressed.

H

Haztrick

I'll never forget how good he was with the media and some of the stuff he said including when he publicly criticised Peter Holmes-a-court and called him "Peter Holmes-a-hyphen'

K

kennyy

When Folkes *****slapped Trent Barrett on the sidelines...

..oh wait a minute

scot

I'll unleash these on you
Reaction score
I will always respect Steven Folkes for his dignity in coaching, his ability to identify talent, and desire to do what was best for the CLUB, which included letting soap actresses leave the club because he believed it would be for the longterm gain.

Fave Folkes moments (in no order)

- the way he led the club through the salary cap scandal of 2002
- when asked what his game plan for the Broncos in the 98 gf would be, he responded "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you"
- Making the boys celebrate the achievement in getting to the GF in 98 despite losing...the only time I've left a gf not entirely devastated...I was more upset when Rickys brain explosion in 99 cost us the chance to go on
- Getting the ****s with Gallop for what he considered to be his lack of support during the **** they had to deal with in early 04
- Giving Pricey every opportunity to know within himself that he had tried everything to get to the 04 gf.
- not getting into a slanging match with mason last year...I'd love to see Folkes in his playing days against Mason...he would have 'taken mason to school'...in fact he probably still could.

buddman

Serial madman!
Reaction score
When the salary cap broke out we we're scheduled to play Canberra away and they refused ro play us at first. At a press conference at Belmore, before we lost all the points, Folkes said "I don't blame them for not wanting to play us. We're coming first and they're coming where???"

K

Kane 'em

I love the way Folkesy deals with the media. Such a cick sunt!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My favourite personal Folkes moment was his criticism of a deplorable Simpkins after his appaling refereeing performance when we played the Cowboys last year, you know, where he was being as sarcastic as ever:

"If you want a ref who can give you a one way penalty count heavily in favour of the home team then he's your man."

That was classic Folkesy.

My favourite team/ coaching moment would definately be the 98 GF qualifier comeback against the Eels, and of course 2004 against the Roosters.

wogdog

Boards Don't Hit Back!
Reaction score
i would say the way he handled both the salary cap and central coast scandals was fantastic

DOGGYDOGG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. 98 semi final run - #1 by a long way!!!
2. 04 GF
3. Folkesy's contempt and arrogance towards the Media and Refs

Status
Not open for further replies.