Young dog Oloapu doing everything right

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I really hope we have moved on from doing this to young players, would be stupid to debut in a losing team now. Lets see later on how we are tracking in terms of form
By this logic Wackham & Lewis the lock were going to become superstars until they were put in too early

What young player's career have we killed by putting them in early?

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think we all know the correct decision is to play KO at 5/8th, Flanno at half and JR as 14.

Burton at left centre but only if he is showing to be better than Alamoti.

Right centre can be Skelton while Averillo and Perham can fight it out for fullback.

I'd probably favour Averillo at FB as he has shown he has toe when making a break or in broken field and chimes into backline better than Perham.

The question for Gus and CC is, do they want to do what best for the team, or what's best for Burton's feelings and his contract terms...
Averillo is rubbish but obviously you rate him more than Burton. Averillo is not first grade standard where Burton is an incumbent rep player.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What will happen is that when KO is ready to play 1st grade, he will come off the bench for a few games in like a 14 role. He will NOT just be thrust into the starting 7 jumper. As BBO found it can be really hard to get into the game if you are only sent on with 10-15 minutes remaining (and most often given it is Bulldogs, way behind on the scoreboard). I hate this approach. If he is ready, dump Flanno, play JR for 1st half and then KO for whole 2nd half with JR on bench to cover for hooker/backs injury/HIA.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cogger was a great little general who wasn't giving decent coaching or opportunity. I would take him back today to be our 7
I've wondered about him. And what about Matt Frawley, with all the experience he's gained? Would you take him?

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If he keeps up his form from last week, then another month in Reserves will hold him in good stead. Physically he's up to it unlike most other young halves as he's such a strong kid with good defensive technique. So him being only 18 is less significant because he's a physical freak.
Maté completely agree, but with the forward pack we have I personally wouldn’t, we need a decent forward pack so we can atleast stay with the advantage line in order for are halves and backs to start dominating the play, if we rush him in to early then he’ll also get dominated and might stuff up his confidence for good.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yeah blood him in firsts and watch tk turn on him like we did Burto if we don’t start winning games.
Difference is KO is a half, the centre is a centre pretending to be a half.

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I didn't mind Cogger myself tbh. How long is he at Penrith for?
No idea but he is there and like yourself I liked him when he was here…does the job

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cogger was a great little general who wasn't giving decent coaching or opportunity. I would take him back today to be our 7
Yep 100%, wasn’t a superstar but he played like a halfback should play, also wasn’t afraid to take the line on and scored a few times when he did that.

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I've wondered about him. And what about Matt Frawley, with all the experience he's gained? Would you take him?
nope still scarred by him…and definitely a different playing style to Cogger

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan offers nothing. A top half has leadership skills, move a team around the park, step up and start things happening. Nothing. zilch. He is not capable of playing at a top level. All the hype in the off season is again just another cover up for his lack of ability. Sure the whole team played poorly but for me it all starts with goof forwards and the half.

Give someone else a go, other teams throw in 18 year olds but we always want to give them time. We have had over 6 years of waiting.
Make the change .

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meaney wouldn’t hurt either. How as young guys they were never given an extend run to show what they could do at fullback and halfback is beyond me.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What’s really annoying me is we are “not rushing” a talent like Oluapo…. Why wouldn’t you? Dolphins are showing right now that if you’re good enough, you’re ready for NRL - so much so that in their historic first game, Bennett chooses a 19yo over a seasoned Milford with everything on the line - Ballsy yet measured from Clint Eastwood…. young Katoa repaid the faith and delivered.

calling it now, in 80mins of NSW cup footy, Oluapo is without doubt our best option to partner Burton. Whilst I’m at it, he probably offers more than Burton, looks a natural half - Burton is disorganised, lacks communication and should be demanding the ball carrying his team to success. Flanno on the other hand lacks confidence, cannot engage the line nor effectively kick the ball.

Oluapo is the answer.

Im also throwing down the challenge to Cameron Ciraldo, if you truely believe *quote* “we will develop our own style of football working to our strengths” - let Burton play unstructured (aka: Munster) and take a chance on Oluapo giving him a licence to thrill to.

This team CANNOT PLAY STRUCTURED FOOTBALL!!!! Let them play the free-flowing style that Mick Potter adopted.