Young dog Oloapu doing everything right

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Walker comparison pisses me off, yesterday he made 18 tackles, missed 5 and 4 were ineffective that a 67% tackle efficiency. And that with his "new bulked up body", FMD it's worse than he was last year.

Always a Bulldog
Sam Walker in 2021 was 18 and making his debut in round 4. Why are you talking about Walker in 2023 missing 5 tackles? The comparison is because both are young play makers that are going to make their debuts at the same age. Walker in 2021, Oloapu in 2023.

What part of this is it hard for people to understand? What am I missing?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Get him in the starting team asap
The irony is Burton was one of our worst on Saturday, I’ve seen guys play in a local A Grade men’s comp that would have had more influence on the game… but Flanno is not the answer… when Burton was struggling, Flange had to grab the game by the balls and he didn’t. He’s failed to deliver for over 2 years, no sign of improvement… zero.

Enter KO!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sam Walker in 2021 was 18 and making his debut in round 4. Why are you talking about Walker in 2023 missing 5 tackles? The comparison is because both are young play makers that are going to make their debuts at the same age. Walker in 2021, Oloapu in 2023.

On the subject, Oluapo is much bigger than Walker at the same age, Walker at 18yo was barely 80kgs ringing wet - Oloapu is 95kgs…. He’s bigger than Walker even after Walkers bulked up off season. Point being, Oluapo can handle NRL. The speed of the game and his fitness is his only challenge. This is why I’d have Oluapo start and bring on Reynolds off the bench until KO gets up to speed.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We spent 500k on breaking his contract, the lad is special, throw him in and see how he goes.. can't be any worse than 'i do nothing' flannagan. I don't give a shit if he has a few good defensive tackles, we don't need that, we need a goddamn half back

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the subject, Oluapo is much bigger than Walker at the same age, Walker at 18yo was barely 80kgs ringing wet - Oloapu is 95kgs…. He’s bigger than Walker even after Walkers bulked up off season. Point being, Oluapo can handle NRL. The speed of the game and his fitness is his only challenge. This is why I’d have Oluapo start and bring on Reynolds off the bench until KO gets up to speed.
Yes, and a way better defender than Walker was at his age. So this shouldn't even be a question to give him his debut sooner rather than later.

Again, the comparison with Walker is only because of their age at the time of their debuts, nothing else!!

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
What’s really annoying me is we are “not rushing” a talent like Oluapo…. Why wouldn’t you? Dolphins are showing right now that if you’re good enough, you’re ready for NRL - so much so that in their historic first game, Bennett chooses a 19yo over a seasoned Milford with everything on the line - Ballsy yet measured from Clint Eastwood…. young Katoa repaid the faith and delivered.

calling it now, in 80mins of NSW cup footy, Oluapo is without doubt our best option to partner Burton. Whilst I’m at it, he probably offers more than Burton, looks a natural half - Burton is disorganised, lacks communication and should be demanding the ball carrying his team to success. Flanno on the other hand lacks confidence, cannot engage the line nor effectively kick the ball.

Oluapo is the answer.

Im also throwing down the challenge to Cameron Ciraldo, if you truely believe *quote* “we will develop our own style of football working to our strengths” - let Burton play unstructured (aka: Munster) and take a chance on Oluapo giving him a licence to thrill to.

This team CANNOT PLAY STRUCTURED FOOTBALL!!!! Let them play the free-flowing style that Mick Potter adopted.
good grief

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's no use in throwing him in behind an under manned forward pack where he won't get any time or space to play his game.
He needs to stay in reserves, play him on the right at 7 and let him develop for a bit longer.
No use investing 500k on the kid and seeing him fail in 1st grade.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's no use in throwing him in behind an under manned forward pack where he won't get any time or space to play his game.
He needs to stay in reserves, play him on the right at 7 and let him develop for a bit longer.
No use investing 500k on the kid and seeing him fail in 1st grade.
yes exactly, tpj tommon paulto like jeez when we need Paul Vaughn this was the perfect time to have kept him…

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think KO is going to come into the side possibly at the back end, what I saw from him in reserve grade last week was special, he was stepping, putting kicks in, it was nice seeing a five eight do that.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the one bloke I'm confident in, but at the same time we should protect him and that's where Reynolds will be invaluable. There's no rush and Reynolds at half means we can wait till the kid is ready whenever that is, and this is where as fans we NEED to trust the coaches and not put pressure on the bloke. I'd rather him play when he's ready than playing him not ready.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Don’t want to rush him, but bring him in and let him have fun for the year, Pair him up with JRs passion , get some practice in first grade, this years a loss anyway. And the fact he can have fun and just preen with no pressure will be a huge confidence builder.
Give him a go as 14 for 15 mins or so and nurse him along that way.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give him a go as 14 for 15 mins or so and nurse him along that way.
He'd get way more out of playing 80 minutes in NSW Cup. I get what you are saying but no. Would learn more from playing 80 minutes and showing he can control a side at that level first, then the transition to first grade will be easier. The last thing we should want is a team getting belted like we are in first grade and putting a young half on with 15 to go and expecting miracles, that's asking for trouble.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The irony is Burton was one of our worst on Saturday, I’ve seen guys play in a local A Grade men’s comp that would have had more influence on the game… but Flanno is not the answer… when Burton was struggling, Flange had to grab the game by the balls and he didn’t. He’s failed to deliver for over 2 years, no sign of improvement… zero.

Enter KO!
Im no Flanagan apologist but that’s an appalling conclusion .

I think Flanagan is our best 7 solution right now but the fact burton was so appalling amplifies the weaknesses not just in Flanagans game but the team in general .

We know Flanagan is limited but he did not cost us the game , you can argue the sin bin changed the game but the call to send him to the bin was a bad decision bordering on cheating

We are not good enough of a team to overcome bad decisions at the moment and you need a lot more output from burton when you consider our attack is structured to go left

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
KO will continue to get experience in NSW Cup and will be brought onto the bench before SOO. So if he needs to be brought in for Burton he will be ready. Depending on how he handles it, Ciro may be unable to leave him out of the starting 13.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im no Flanagan apologist but that’s an appalling conclusion .

I think Flanagan is our best 7 solution right now but the fact burton was so appalling amplifies the weaknesses not just in Flanagans game but the team in general .

We know Flanagan is limited but he did not cost us the game , you can argue the sin bin changed the game but the call to send him to the bin was a bad decision bordering on cheating

We are not good enough of a team to overcome bad decisions at the moment and you need a lot more output from burton when you consider our attack is structured to go left
Having looked at it again I get why it was a bin, it's soft but it's there for sure. The learning lesson is don't put yourself at the mercy of a ref. I'd actually have been okay with a penalty try being awarded, heck it's better for us if it was.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

And why people focus on his missed tackles. He has areas of his game he needs to improve on no doubt but he is not picked based on his defence. He is 10 times the creative half Flanagan is. Flanagan may have missed no tackles last weekend but his influence on the game was NATA and has been for 3 years.

TheAlmightyJish

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Even at this moment, I'd say he is our best half at the club.
Best half at the club, come off it mate. I value your opinions over most on here but that is a terrible call. Flanagan isn't only not a half, he isn't a first grade NRL player.