Yesterday's Hero: Daryl Halligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Previous Yesterday's Hero threads:

Darren Smith: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/yesterdays-hero-darren-smith.108562/
Craig Polla-Mounter: https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/yesterdays-hero-craig-polla-mounter.108757/

Daryl Halligan

Daryl John Halligan (born 25 July 1966) is a rugby league commentator and former professional player. A New Zealand international winger, he was the pre-eminent goal-kicker of his era, retiring as the highest point scorer in Australian premiership history. Halligan played club football in Australia for the North Sydney Bears and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, winning the 1995 ARL Premiership with the latter. Before switching to the professional code of rugby league, Halligan played amateur rugby union for Waikato. He played on the wing for the Canterbury Bulldogs in their loss in the 1998 NRL grand final to the Brisbane Broncos.

In rugby league, Halligan was renowned as a fine goalkicker, his 855 first grade goals coming at an impressive 80% success rate. Halligan is noted for revolutionising goal-kicking by using a plastic tee from which to kick, instead of the old method where kickers would set the ball upon a mound of sand or earth. He has since worked to design the popular "Supertee" line of kicking tees, used by top kickers in both codes of rugby across the world. His kick against the Parramatta Eels in the 1998 Preliminary Final is considered one of the greatest conversions in Rugby League History.

In 2000 Halligan became the first person to score 2,000 points in the NRL. That same year he overtook Mick Cronin's record for the most points scored in an NSWRFL career (1,971) - a record which had stood since 1986; Halligan's eventual total of 2,034 was bettered by Jason Taylor in 2001. Halligan also scored 80 tries, and kicked 4 field goals to amass that total.

Last edited:

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I absolutely loved this guy when I was a kid. The way he kicked conversions so well made me see him as some kind of footy god.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
855 conversions at 80%. That is fuckin unreal!!! Thanks wahesh. I enjoy reading your yesterdays hero threads

Reactions: DT

Wahesh

Reaction score
No worries mate. I always enjoy posting them :grinning:

Something that wasn't mentioned, Daryl Halligan broke Mick Cronin's record of 1,971 points against Canberra by scoring a try, not kicking a goal, which is how most people thought he would achieve it.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The first super boot, Mbye isn't reliable enough from the sideline to win big games at the end of the year.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wasn't El Masri kept at bay for a couple years because of Halligan? I was only a little kid at the time so I don't really remember

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't El Masri kept at bay for a couple years because of Halligan? I was only a little kid at the time so I don't really remember
3 years, before Hazem took over!

Can you guys imagine what his strike rate would be if he started out with the kicking tees??? I reckon it would be in the 90's!!

Beastmode

New Pup
Reaction score
Amazing kicker

Meh winger

Terrible commentator

He’s done alright for himself

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Favorite player growing up.....

Dislike like him now, seems like he hates the dogs through his commentating...

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Any penalty within the opposition 50 was auto-2pts. It really was a huge advantage for us.

Halligan landed 2 or 3 from the touchline in that prelim final.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good man the Stray Dog
I know a few things about DH off the field that made him not so good a man BUT footy wise i loved him.

Lets just say he had some ‘odd’ passions...

I will never forget ‘that’ Parramatta game because i was lucky enough to be sitting with the players/families section right behind Halligans kicks...i knew at the time it was a ‘special’ Bulldogs moments because the atmosphere was ridiculously huge...Parra were the enemy from Super League days having poached away some of our best (even Dean Pay...sad to say)
Sounds silly to say but I seriously remember those closing moments of that game almost more than most other ‘big games’ and semis (excluding 2004 GF which was awesome).

Last edited:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Favorite player growing up.....

Dislike like him now, seems like he hates the dogs through his commentating...
He loves the dogs. He even wears a bulldogs jersey when the dogs play the warriors and he’s calling the game.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I remember a story around about superleague time.
John ribot was showing a delegate of NFL reps around. They were at an NRL game and he was explaining the rules, when one of the reps asked “how much do you get for one of these tries ?”
Ribot replies “everyone gets 4 points, except the bulldogs, they get 6”

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I know a few things about DH off the field that made him not so good a man BUT footy wise i loved him.

Lets just say he had some ‘odd’ passions...

I will never forget ‘that’ Parramatta game because i was lucky enough to be sitting with the players/families section right behind Halligans kicks...i knew at the time it was a ‘special’ Bulldogs moments because the atmosphere was ridiculously huge...Parra were the enemy from Super League days having poached away some of our best (even Dean Pay...sad to say)
Sounds silly to say but I seriously remember those closing moments of that game almost more than most other ‘big games’ and semis (excluding 2004 GF which was awesome).
Does one of those "passions" involve sheep?

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
1995 in our Premiership charge, he nailed 6/6 against the Broncos, including 2 from the extreme left and side of the field with the sun in his eyes. The guy is the Messiah of goal kicking.

Watch the video below, and skip to 21:00 and 26:25...

Status
Not open for further replies.