Yesterday's Hero: Darren Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
With the new season's arrival, I think it's a good time to start a "Yesterday's Hero" series of threads, where, perhaps on a weekly basis, we post threads on great players from our past and can discuss what we remember best about these players, and what role they played in our team.

Darren Smith

Born in Brisbane, Queensland on 8 December 1968, Darren Smith went on to play in the Brisbane Rugby League premiership for the Eastern Suburbs Tigers.

During the 1988 Great Britain Lions tour of Australia, Smith was selected at 20 years of age to play for the Brisbane rugby league team against the visiting British. In 1990 he moved from Brisbane's Easts Tigers to Sydney's Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs. Conspicuous in headgear after suffering a severe concussion in 1991, Smith made his State of Origin début as a reserve for Queensland in the 1992 series. During the 1993 State of Origin series Smith played from the interchange bench n Games 2 and 3, both losses.

Smith was selected to play on the interchange bench in all three games of the 1994 State of Origin series which was eventually lost by Queensland. He looked certain to press for Australian selection until off-field politics took its toll in the 1994 NSWRL season. Smith's refusal to renew his contract with Canterbury, negotiating with two Brisbane clubs instead, saw him used in the limited role of interchange player. Smith's centre-three-quarter place in Canterbury's grand final side was taken by youngster Steven Hughes who made little impact when brought on to the field as a replacement. Smith revealed that he had signed with the South Queensland Crushers but he then did an about-face and successfully sought a release to play with the Brisbane Broncos in 1995.

It was unfortunate that Smith hit possibly his best form at a time when the code was in turmoil, and he did not represent again until 1997's Super League season. He proved his durability at the highest level, making his Test début against New Zealand and playing at lock forward in the 1997 Anzac Test, the first Anzac Test, as well as all five Tests against the Kiwis and Great Britain as well as making three appearances in Queensland's Tri-Series side.

When the game reunified for the 1998 NRL season, Smith returned to the Queensland State of Origin team and was the National Rugby League's top try-scorer for the season, crossing for the final try in Brisbane's 38–12 thrashing of his former club Canterbury in the 1998 NRL grand final. In an ironic twist to his career, Smith announced that he was returning to the Bulldogs in 1999. Smith was selected for the Australian team to play in the 1999 ANZAC Test, and to compete in the end of season 1999 Tri Nations tournament. In the final against New Zealand he played at centre in the Kangaroos' 22–20 victory.

In 2000 he was awarded the Australian Sports Medal for his contribution to Australia's international standing in rugby league. Smith left the Bulldogs at the end of 2002 (denied the opportunity to finally win a premiership with the club when it was stripped of its competition points) to play with English club St. Helens. Having won Super League VI, St Helens contested the 2003 World Club Challenge against 2002 NRL Premiers, the Sydney Roosters. Smith played at second-row forward in Saints' 38–0 loss. At the end of his first English season Smith was unexpectedly called into the Third Test of the Ashes series (despite being 35 years old and outside the NRL) by his former Bulldogs coach, national coach Chris Anderson, who felt the available 2003 Kangaroo centres were not experienced enough.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Somethings I remember best about Smith:
  1. During the early-mid 90s when he was first with us, many people considered him our vice captain to Terry Lamb as he was a natural born leader
  2. He was very versatile and able to play 3 positions - centre, 2nd rower and five-eighth, but in 2001 and 2002, he played the majority of those seasons at lock covering for fellow Queenslander Travis Norton who suffered season ending injuries in both seasons
  3. He was a work horse of a defender and made plenty of try-saving tackles, including one against the Sharks in 2001 which ended up being a match winning try-saver and lead to us getting 2nd spot on the ladder secured
  4. Even as a player well into his 30s, he had plenty of energy and played like a 19/20 year old
  5. One of the best QLDers to ever play for the Bulldogs, if not THE best.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Was a fine player.

Reactions: DT

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job wahesh. Smith was a great player, nice to hear a bit of his background.
My favourite dogs side would have to be the 95 side. I was only 10 and that whole finals series was unbelievable, still get chills when i watch the GF replay and Pay throws that big looping ball out wide for Hughes to score in the corner.
So many greats from that team. Baa, hetherington, Britt, polla, dymock, pay, timu....

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Him and his brother both terrific players with skill. I'd have them both in the greatest dogs 17 Ive seen.
Didn't know he was left out of the 94 GF because he didn't re-sign...

Wahesh

Reaction score
Good job wahesh. Smith was a great player, nice to hear a bit of his background.
My favourite dogs side would have to be the 95 side. I was only 10 and that whole finals series was unbelievable, still get chills when i watch the GF replay and Pay throws that big looping ball out wide for Hughes to score in the corner.
So many greats from that team. Baa, hetherington, Britt, polla, dymock, pay, timu....
I know mate - Gillies as well, even Mitch Newton. That forward pack was perhaps one of the best we've ever assembled, and one of the best in the history of the game.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Him and his brother both terrific players with skill. I'd have them both in the greatest dogs 17 Ive seen.
Didn't know he was left out of the 94 GF because he didn't re-sign...
I know, but Jason Smith played in it instead. It would've been a very awkward dinner at the family table.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He was one of my favourite players ever. So many great memories.

I was lucky enough years ago to actually play touch football with him. It was so surreal. He still had the magic touch at his age. I remember how he put me in a gap to score that first game. Never felt so giddy like a little kid. Here was me playing with my idol and him setting me up for a try. Dream come true.

Ended up playing a whole season with him. I even set him up with a few tries too. Best season ever. Top bloke, still loved the dogs. He injured his back end of the season and unfortunately never returned to play.

Wahesh

Reaction score
He was one of my favourite players ever. So many great memories.

I was lucky enough years ago to actually play touch football with him. It was so surreal. He still had the magic touch at his age. I remember how he put me in a gap to score that first game. Never felt so giddy like a little kid. Here was me playing with my idol and him setting me up for a try. Dream come true.

Ended up playing a whole season with him. I even set him up with a few tries too. Best season ever. Top bloke, still loved the dogs. He injured his back end of the season and unfortunately never returned to play.
I sort of know what you're feeling - but on a completely different scale. Back in 2006, I attended an open training session for the dogs at Belmore. I called "Shifty" to Brent Sherwin. He turned around, looked at me, and I kicked a ball to him (he was looking for one) and he caught it. Couldn't believe it... I remember back then he was one of my favorite players :grinning:

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I sort of know what you're feeling - but on a completely different scale. Back in 2006, I attended an open training session for the dogs at Belmore. I called "Shifty" to Brent Sherwin. He turned around, looked at me, and I kicked a ball to him (he was looking for one) and he caught it. Couldn't believe it... I remember back then he was one of my favorite players :grinning:
I totally get ya, it's amazing how small interactions like that with our favourite players become etched in our memories forever. I have met so many Nrl players over the years but as soon as i see a current/former player from the dogs it feels more special.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know mate - Gillies as well, even Mitch Newton. That forward pack was perhaps one of the best we've ever assembled, and one of the best in the history of the game.
Alot of very underrated players for sure. If you ask most non bulldog fans who simon gillies and mitch newton played for, the response would be.......
images-10.jpg

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My favv moment from his career was when he punched on with choc mundine in one of mundines last rigby league matches... choc had already announced moving into boxing and darren thought he might give him an early start.

Absolute gold !

anigav33

New Pup
Reaction score
One of the best one on one defenders... great tackling technique.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is the program from the Brisbane V Great Britain game.

img745.jpg img746.jpg

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't shoot me for this, but because I moved to Melbourne when I was a teenager in 1983 I went for the blues in SOO but never had that burning passion.

Then the club always had a few Queenslanders like Smith and I hated so many of the NSW players (hello Terry Hill & co) sometimes I secretly wanted a Queensland win.

Great player for the club. Never did win a premiership with Canterbury which is a shame.

Reactions: DT
Status
Not open for further replies.