1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

News Xerri rejects $500k-a-season deal

Discussion in 'Rugby League General' started by Moedogg, Jan 30, 2020.

1. btrainben

btrainben Kennel Immortal

I'm sure the Roosters would rather have Xerri than Smith. As you'd know, Smith has had several knee surgeries now so i doubt they'd be going into 2021 without adding another centre.

2. btrainben

He'll have two full years of FG by then though. What experienced centres are there worth signing that would be better than Xerri though? The centre position has been dire for years. Which is why teams will overpay for someone like Xerri or Cotric etc..

3. Howard Moon

Howard Moon Kennel Immortal Gilded x2 Gilded Premium Member

maybe not overly experienced, but I think the best young centre in the game is Kotoni Staggs.. I would have him over Xerri any day of the week

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. KambahOne

KambahOne Kennel Regular

I disagree. We were loyal to Pearce for more years than we should have been. We stuck by SKD during his court appearance when that Jessica Peris slag accused him of all sorts of rubbish. We stuck by the hallway shitter and we stuck by Fittler when he got pissed in North Queensland. We've stuck by Cordner through multiple injuries and we'll stick by Billy Smith.

Let me ask you this, would want your club to be loyal to a player of lesser ability than purchase one that brings more chance of winning a comp?

• Like Like x 1
  5. KambahOne

KambahOne Kennel Regular

As would most clubs at this stage of their careers.

Two ACL's (different knees) in the last 3 years. But I read somewhere there is a stat that if a young player does an ACL and they are under blah age, there is a 25% chance they'll do the other ACL within 12 months to 2 years. Something about putting extra strain on the good one while the original one heals? Can't remember the exact details of the article.

I think the fact he's done both ACL's rather than a re-occurrence of the first one, I'm more optimistic about his playing future. Don't forget, Teddy did both ACL's before becoming the current best player in the world.

6. tonee

tonee Administrator Staff Member Gilded

Latrell v.2 scenario

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. btrainben

I wish Smith luck in his recovery and ACL surgery and recovery is a lot better than it used to be. Let's just hope Billy has some luck and doesn't go down the Chase Stanley path..

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. btrainben

Staggs is pretty good but he's a defensive liabilty right now. And i still remember Morgan Harper dominating him all night late last season.

9. Howard Moon

Howard Moon Kennel Immortal Gilded x2 Gilded Premium Member

yeah I agree.. but he's quite hard to handle when he is on.. Roosters would have no problem sorting his defence out... feel like Xerri might not look as good without one of the best servicemen in Graham inside of him

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. bricktamland

bricktamland Kennel Enthusiast

I wouldn’t write off our board they aren’t dumb just cause they aren’t making noise I reckon they will prepare for an ambush come 2021 with all the money we have ready to spend

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Best Post x 1
  11. bricktamland

bricktamland Kennel Enthusiast

Forgive me if I sound weird but they always remind me of
    Palpatine and they treat their players the same way they treat Vader anakin.. use him for gain then as soon as something better comes around they fuck them off.. I.e Maloney, Jennings, Napa etc.. or a dodgy boxing promoter .. promising this and that to their fighter then as soon as he’s done tbeh go from shouting them at the vip table to entering via general admission..

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sancho2020

Sancho2020 Kennel Immortal Gilded

What a bizarre contract offer, did the Sharks seriously expect him to agree to that? Lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Scoooby

Scoooby Kennel Immortal Gilded Premium Member

He’s clever... superstar !! lol.

14. Raysie

Raysie Kennel Immortal

Sharks taking the piss if they think a probable top-flight Centre will still be worth $500K a year in 2025.

15. Dogs_92

Dogs_92 Kennel Regular

Fair point

16. Dogs_92

Dogs_92 Kennel Regular

Ahhaah well it is ok to agree and disagree my friend. The Adam Elliot/Adam Idiot drama is in the past. Go Canterbury !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JackDog

JackDog Kennel Enthusiast

It’s a worse deal than Doulhei’s, same cash but an extra year!

Not that either will/would see the full contract out...

18. GA45

GA45 Kennel Enthusiast

I’m not sure why he didn’t accept. The club would have had to pay him 2.5 million regardless of wether he never amounts to much or has a career ending injury . If he does become a rep player he gets upgraded. He’s definitely rooster bound for less money

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Moedogg

Moedogg Kennel Immortal

I'm sure his value will increase dramatically in the coming seasons. 500k every year for the next 5 years is chump change for a player of his talent. NRL players only got a decade to make their money..

• Like Like x 1
  20. doggieaaron

doggieaaron Super Moderator Staff Member

Rates himself this flog ,very poor defender needs to improve that first