News World Club Challenge: Bulldogs fans’ chance to see $2m signing Luke Thompson against NRL opposition

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Their whole platform is struggling and they're bleeding money.

They're struggling to compete with Netflix etc for $12 a month when they charge $100 a month for Foxtel. That's why they created Kayo. To try and stop the bleeding. But I think it's inevitable they go under with how much money they're losing and how cheap the competition is.

If it weren't for the NRL, AFL and HBO programming, they would have been dead already.
Oh ok. How does Kayo stack up?
If foxtel didn’t have the footy & NBA on I’d cut it in a second. I pay $48 a month but only really watch sport in HD

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed, kayo is an awesome platform and i use it all the time but i cant understand why anybody would have foxtel anymore when most other streaming services are a fraction of the price and available on a number of platforms (phone, tablet, laptop). They will go under soon im sure

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If foxtel didn’t have the footy & NBA on I’d cut it in a second. I pay $48 a month but only really watch sport in HD
Kayo is awesome, you can watch almost any sport live (they even had a dog show competition on the other day). You can pause and rewind at will, if you come home and the game is 20 min in you can start it from the beginning or from live and any game you watch is saved in your replays so you can watch again im pretty sure. Also gives you the option to screen two sports at once on the same screen

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I haven’t heard much about it mate. Why is that?
It's for the very reason why Murdoch heavily backed the coalition to win government in 2013.
Even though Labor's idea to build a 100% fibre NBN was probably the right one technology wise, it wasn't feasible commercially, so when the Libs/Nats came to power, they did the fiscally responsible thing to manage the costs of the NBN build by implementing the 'multi-technology mix'.
This resulted in a bit of 'dumbing down' from an all fibre network, which is exactly what Rupert wanted because he knew that having spent billions rolling out cable in Australia in the 1990's, he couldn't beat the internet and he'd never see those costs repaid - so he didn't want the punter to have great internet.
Then on top of that Foxtel has invested untold millions in programming rights (sport and others) and along comes Netflix and other streaming services.
So they're getting their lunch eaten from both ends - platform and programming.
The other 50% investor in Foxtel is of course Telstra and they are laying off thousands of workers having sold their network to NBN and (as yet) having no new technologies to replace it with.
It's a bit of a perfect storm really - one I wouldn't like to be in the middle of.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Suggest get Kayo for $25/month. I've got native apps for Apple TV (big screen), iPad and iPhone. Works a treat (HD too). No extra set-top box or remote either (although if you have a universal remote already that might not be an issue).

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Kayo is about $35 a month but I'm not sure.. Kayo has every sports channel Foxtel has and is all in HD..

I pay for NBA league pass through a Columbian VPN I set up years ago and it auto subscribes for $100 a year with full access including the playoffs! It's crazy that we in Australia have to pay four times that for the same thing!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think Kayo is about $35 a month but I'm not sure.. Kayo has every sports channel Foxtel has and is all in HD..

I pay for NBA league pass through a Columbian VPN I set up years ago and it auto subscribes for $100 a year with full access including the playoffs! It's crazy that we in Australia have to pay four times that for the same thing!
The Aussie tax, we cop it everywhere :-)
Kayo is $25/month for 2 simultaneous streams and $35 for 3 - so it only depends how sport crazy your household is. I find the $25/month option fine for 99% of the time.
The other bonus is no contracts - month to month and cancel any time if it's not your thing.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not really that tech savvy these days, how much data would watching an NRL match on kayo use. Would you need unlimited data or very large allowance to use it?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Kayo is awesome, you can watch almost any sport live (they even had a dog show competition on the other day). You can pause and rewind at will, if you come home and the game is 20 min in you can start it from the beginning or from live and any game you watch is saved in your replays so you can watch again im pretty sure. Also gives you the option to screen two sports at once on the same screen
Sorry to hijack the thread but you guys seem to know a lot about Kayo & I’ve been weighing it up before the footy season starts. Is it suitable for me?
I like to record games to watch later & Series link
I do occasionally record normal TV if say someone I know is on TV or things I wanted to watch like the fire concert for example. I have Samsung smart TVs, MacBook Pro, iPhone and free Netflix I use once or twice a year
Thanks a lot

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread but you guys seem to know a lot about Kayo & I’ve been weighing it up before the footy season starts. Is it suitable for me?
I do occasionally record normal TV if say someone I know is on TV or things I wanted to watch like the fire concert for example. I have Samsung smart TVs, MacBook Pro, iPhone and free Netflix I use once or twice a year
Thanks a lot
I'm like you mate, would consider getting rid of foxtel if something better is out there. I got a message saying subscription is going to $78 next month, a mate suggested I ring and say I want to cancel and they'd give me a better deal but really couldn't be bothered.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm like you mate, would consider getting rid of foxtel if something better is out there. I got a message saying subscription is going to $78 next month, a mate suggested I ring and say I want to cancel and they'd give me a better deal but really couldn't be bothered.
Your mate is spot on I have threatened to cancel several times and gotten a better deal. I'm not sure what package you have but I pay $36 for the basic package plus sports after the wanted me to pay $65!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not really that tech savvy these days, how much data would watching an NRL match on kayo use. Would you need unlimited data or very large allowance to use it?
There are apps you can get to measure a stream, so you can monitor how much data a footy game uses.
I don't know off the top of my head, but it's a fairly efficient encode, so when I last looked it wasn't that much.
The other option if you're a Telstra mobile customer you can stream via the NRL app for free (including data) - the only catch being they limit the screen size so it's no good on TV's - only mobile devices.
An unlimited internet plan helps these days not just for sport, but Netflix or any stream service as well as general usage, so maybe check your bills to see how much you're using vs how much you're paying for and that might give you an idea of what best suits you.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yep that’s the thing mate. Everyone always says to call electricity companies, insurance etc and get a better deal but it all takes times & can be painful.
I did threaten to cancel Fox via telstra when moving house and they wanted to charge me a bit. I got a good deal but that’s probably over now

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks a lot
Sounds like to cut your monthly cost by almost 50% you won't miss out on much.
Kayo doesn't let you record, but you can stream for up to a week after if you miss the game live, so near enough?
Series link maybe not...
Recording FTA on a Smart TV is easy as inserting a USB stick in the TV and doing it that way - I've got a 2TB USB in mine and it's plenty of room for what very little TV I record these days.
Overall, I can't see you missing much about Foxtel assuming Sport is the main reason you have it. I think you'll find (as I did) that Kayo easily compensates for it and to boot you save money.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yep that’s the thing mate. Everyone always says to call electricity companies, insurance etc and get a better deal but it all takes times & can be painful.
I did threaten to cancel Fox via telstra when moving house and they wanted to charge me a bit. I got a good deal but that’s probably over now
I do it all the time - it's amazing how they have zero loyalty to retention, only to new customers.
I'm afraid it's a case of you don't ask, you don't get.
I was dumb enough to be loyal to one bank and one health fund for more than 30 years until I changed both - surprisingly not that painful and much better deals all around.
Worth the effort most of the time :-).

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Sounds like to cut your monthly cost by almost 50% you won't miss out on much.
Kayo doesn't let you record, but you can stream for up to a week after if you miss the game live, so near enough?
Series link maybe not...
Recording FTA on a Smart TV is easy as inserting a USB stick in the TV and doing it that way - I've got a 2TB USB in mine and it's plenty of room for what very little TV I record these days.
Overall, I can't see you missing much about Foxtel assuming Sport is the main reason you have it. I think you'll find (as I did) that Kayo easily compensates for it and to boot you save money.
Cheers mate. I’ll chat with you how to record normal TV & if that works I’ll cancel. By the way, what about the Matty Johns show & who commentates the games on Kayo?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Cheers mate. I’ll chat with you how to record normal TV & if that works I’ll cancel. By the way, what about the Matty Johns show & who commentates the games on Kayo?
Same feeds as Fox (same commentary) and all Fox shows on Kayo too (Matty, 360 etc). You should be good mate. Feel free to donate your savings to me :-).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's all Fox Natboy. Kayo is Foxtel's own sports app that they've created to try and get into the streaming market without forcing people into physically installing Foxtel in their homes and signing up to a contract.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's all Fox Natboy. Kayo is Foxtel's own sports app that they've created to try and get into the streaming market without forcing people into physically installing Foxtel in their homes and signing up to a contract.
Thank you mate I’ll do that