Woeful sales show one-dayers are dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Robert Craddock Source: The Daily Telegraph
THE fading popularity of 50-over cricket will come into sharp focus tomorrow when Australia play before at least 10,000 empty seats in a fixture once routinely sold out.

Australia's one-day series against Pakistan will be launched at the Gabba with officials expecting a crowd in the mid-20,000s for a stadium that holds almost 40,000.

For decades one-day games featuring Australia in Brisbane were routinely sold out before Christmas and were among the hottest sporting tickets in town.

Interstate Twenty20 games featuring the Queensland Bulls have attracted around 17,000 in recent weeks - even with limited publicity and clashing with Test matches - showcasing the blossoming drawing power of the game's shiny new toy and that the 50-over game is losing its lustre.

Shane Warne has called for Australia to dump the 50-over game just as England has already done with its county system.

New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori believes the 50- over game can survive but perhaps in a reduced format.

"It can survive but it may be limited to world events and the Champions Trophy," Vettori said. "We may not see the seven-match series that we have in the past but I still believe it is a really good game which produces some unique cricketers

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
Well 20-25% of the Gabba is member's reserve and CA have priced out the average family by having less seats available in the lower price points. $120 for a family of 4 at the cheapest may be a bit too much for some in QLD.

They play way too much one day cricket, the balance is ****ed up. They need to keep test cricket as the centrepiece and then balance it with 2020 and one dayers.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
the game on sunday at the SCG is a sellout already so they should just stfu

Munnuz 1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to get tickets for the SCG one dayer on sunday and bronze catergory was sold out, silver almost sold out.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a shame - saw many close matches at the Gabba.
Currently working an itinerary for the Twenty20 World Cup in Barbados during May...YAY!!!!

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
i also have tickets, $107 is a bit steep though

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Me and toey h.c was going to attend sunday's match but have decided to wait till 23rd of feb for the 20/20 international.

Sabre V

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Quality of the opposition has a lot to do with it.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Drawing mid 20,000 people on a friday, that isn't a public holiday spells the end of one day cricket?

It's complete bull#^*t like this in the daily telegraph, that put a sharp focus on the lack of any real news in that paper.

Lets be fair, if a Friday night NRL game pulled this sort of crowd when one of the teams was crap (i.e. the sharks) it wouldn't get a story saying the game is dead.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i also have tickets, $107 is a bit steep though
you're joking right? LOL.

that is insane :\

for the new years eve odi here, it's $10 for an adult lmao. But I think for bigger grounds it gets more expensive. From memory it was around $50 a ticket for NZ vs England odi in Christchurch a couple of yrs ago.

But $107 is insane.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
depends were u sit kimmy. you can get cheapo tickets for like 35 bucks. $107 im pretty sure is either the members stand or the Gold section presumably the Victor Trumper stand.

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
the game on sunday at the SCG is a sellout already so they should just stfu
not a sellout by a long shot bro, all categories available bar bronze. I'd be surprised if they get more than 38,000

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
Quality of the opposition has a lot to do with it.
I've been to Aus v Pak odi's since the late 80's and since 1996 they've never had less than 35k attending in Sydney, quality plays no part.

The reason why this year is the ridiculous pricing to fund the new stands (Trumper) and re-doing the Bradman and Noble. The whole concourse area used to be 1 category and was under $55. Six years ago I got 2nd final tix in the front row of the Bradman stand for $80 each. Six yrs later they are $136.

10% p.a increase!

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Bigbash games were some of the worst piece of sport i have ever seen. Keep 50's please

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
depends were u sit kimmy. you can get cheapo tickets for like 35 bucks. $107 im pretty sure is either the members stand or the Gold section presumably the Victor Trumper stand.
o i c.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
its getting way to expensive to attend any sporting events these days.
people just cannot afford to go to things, with familys having to prepare their kids for school next week, most familys would have found it hard to do both, kids ready for school, and cricket..

plus when you get to a sporting event, the prices there for food and drinks kill you.

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
They couldn't even muster 20,000 for this game. They used to get more for Aust v Zimbabwe one dayers there!

The game tommorrow only has 17,500 tickets sold. Include 6,000 members and they'll barely get 25,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.