Will the NRL even exist in the future?

Malla

Reaction score
In light of the Wally Lewis news, look what just came out this week.
This looks very concerning.
I would hate to think what could come of this.
Sports science has come a long way. These blokes back then were reckless, they would suffer multiples concussions in the same game then again in the week during training. NRL will be fine.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said yesterday this an issue and we saw those knee jerk reactions to hits to the head so far in this round the NRL the sponsors do not have the money to fund or bail out losing a class action only the the government could do that and they would be forced to, considering the interest in contact sports around Oz.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Finding myself in agreement with u a lot today Nate dog. Must be the full moon
Good to hear uce, I’m rarely wrong so you must be agreeing with some smart shit. I reckon you throw away the clown suit too

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don’t play if you’re to scared what might happen, there plenty of other players that will love to play and receive the same amount of money.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some of the current negotiations for an EBA with the players association surround long term treatment of injuries. It's basically an indicator that the NRL sees the use by date of players and they're more than happy to just kick them out of the room once their useful period is done. If you're a star and have been in the spotlight, you can often be looked after. But there's a hell of a lot that fall away before they ever become a recognised name. These are the players that need some guarantees in place that they'll be looked after.

So I get why people are saying that players shouldn't be biting the hand that fed them in the past. But for many players they didn't even get table scraps and they're up shit creek. So despite what damage this may immediately do to the game, I think the game nears some responsibility for this.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of the current negotiations for an EBA with the players association surround long term treatment of injuries. It's basically an indicator that the NRL sees the use by date of players and they're more than happy to just kick them out of the room once their useful period is done. If you're a star and have been in the spotlight, you can often be looked after. But there's a hell of a lot that fall away before they ever become a recognised name. These are the players that need some guarantees in place that they'll be looked after.

So I get why people are saying that players shouldn't be biting the hand that fed them in the past. But for many players they didn't even get table scraps and they're up shit creek. So despite what damage this may immediately do to the game, I think the game nears some responsibility for this.
The injuries is a bit of worry where NRL insurance only covers player who retired from NRL for 12 months.

So if they play ESL for 12 months and they need hip knee or nose to be corrected they aren't cover by insurance.

Blake Ferguson is the perfect example his face was completely butchered by NRL games and refused insurance claim because he played 1 year ESL.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably not, as Wally is only one part of that. If they keep going down that path, they might as well play touch footy.

Competition is clearly being run by two clowns who are doing exactly what Quayle and Arthurson did back in 1995 by introducing more teams to dilute the talent and will make it worse if they add more teams to an already lop-sided competition.

They can bring in new teams but only into a conference format or a 1st and 2nd division with promotion and relegation otherwise fans will walk away from the game. With the 'dogs not in the finals my interest in the rest of the season is very minimal. I'll watch highlights of the games and the Finals but that's about it and the refereeing has been awful, not just on field but in the video box. More stoppages and waiting an eternity with umpteen replays are a huge turn off.

Furthermore, I've never watched and never will watch NRLW's competition as I have zero interest in it but that might be all you have to see and follow if we keep heading down the current path we are now.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We now live in a world of red tape, over regulation, suing, analysis etc.
NRL is a business.
Footy is a contact sport.
Tackle high, accidentally make contact to the head you get punished.
Tackle low, accidentally land on someones legs you get punished.
There will never be consistency due to the nature of the sport.
Rule changes in the name of player welfare and I assume the NRL covering their arse.

The game has changed much in the last 10 years and rule changes will continue to happen whether we like it or not.
Up to the individual whether they want to continue watching it.
NRL will go on.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL needs to reward leg tackles more. If you make a 1 on 1 leg tackle you should get an extra 2-3 seconds of holding them down.
It’s pretty simple, the ref calls a legs tackle “Dominant”, which gives extra time from the legs tackler to get around in position for the play the ball. The ref also needs to call out the tackled player for kicking, studs in the face is a big incentive not to tackle around the legs.

Always a Bulldog

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
"NRL" shouldnt exist now, it isnt National Rugby League, theres a NZ team in it.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is no doubt that repeated concussions is likely to cause problems in the long term but there are also other issues and behaviours that lead to degenerative brain disease.

Not a legal background or medical but i dont know how cause can determined given the impact of substance abuse, binge drinking, alocoholism and genetics.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no doubt that repeated concussions is likely to cause problems in the long term but there are also other issues and behaviours that lead to degenerative brain disease.

Not a legal background or medical but i dont know how cause can determined given the impact of substance abuse, binge drinking, alocoholism and genetics.
It is going to be messy when the lawyers get involved.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Usual northern beaches dog. The games finished, refs have ruined the game, litigation will ruin the game blah blah blah. I doubt u even follow league tbh.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is going to be messy when the lawyers get involved.
I dont know what it is like now but in the 70s and 80s getting fall down drunk on a regular basis was a way of life for a lot of males - even more so for footballers.