WILL THE LION EVER ROAR

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The starting forwards looked to go easy that game. Must of been a direction from baz for the main men to take it easy as it’s only a trial..

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We’re basically paying Thompson one and half million if you base it on pro
-rata minutes played per game what is it 40-50 minutes base it on a full game
Waste of coin
Any players getting that money should be playing almost full minutes

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The previous management traveled three times around the world to secure the signature of what supposed to be the world's best prop, risking their well being ( COVID-19 ) in the process.
A season and a half later I am yet to see any thing to convince me he is anywhere near what was anticipated he would be leaving me wondering is he worth half the contract that he is on.
He hasn't been a forceful prop hasn't shown any ball skills always ineffectively coming in late in tackles and to add the icing to the cake he's always found a way to get suspended.
Leaving me wondering...Will the Lion ever roar ???
To be fair, he’s had a red hot crack since coming here and the performance on Monday was a trial, he had 20-30mins to get the blood pumping and get a feel for the contact.

I think it was a game vs the Sharks were he was a runaway juggernaut, he’s had a few eye catching games but has always been one of our best in beaten teams when playing… we’re way too quick to judge on this forum. He’s probably not worth 800k, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a good player.

Him and Vaughan will rip in, but perhaps moving forward, the money on Thompson is better spent on a partner for Burton (in fact, I have no doubt it is).

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He needs to prove his worth this year otherwise hes just another overpaid Foran without the heart and injury toll.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe we should learn from the Cotric mistake, moved him on, still paying some of his freight, making Canbra stronger at a bargain cost to them and the biggest fark up of all we end up replacing him with Okunbor. Moving Cotric on was supposed to free up a spot in the 30 and Cap space to sign someone, anyone, and we end up with nothing, diddly squat, SFA in return. Overall a big loss to the team as whole. Who is this mystical magical 1/2 that we are going to sign with Thompson's $400k because that's all that will be available in our Cap if we move him on.

Lesson, a good player in the hand is worth 2 in the bush especially when they don't farkin exist.

Always a Bulldog

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thought he was clearly our best player last year. Possibly slightly overpaid, but I’d certainly be in no rush to offload him.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe we should learn from the Cotric mistake, moved him on, still paying some of his freight, making Canbra stronger at a bargain cost to them and the biggest fark up of all we end up replacing him with Okunbor. Moving Cotric on was supposed to free up a spot in the 30 and Cap space to sign someone, anyone, and we end up with nothing, diddly squat, SFA in return. Overall a big loss to the team as whole. Who is this mystical magical 1/2 that we are going to sign with Thompson's $400k because that's all that will be available in our Cap if we move him on.

Lesson, a good player in the hand is worth 2 in the bush especially when they don't farkin exist.

Always a Bulldog
Agree - and since you mentioned Cotric, Thommo was similar in that the club needed to start attracting players and how else were we going to do that at the time when we hadn’t even hit the bottom? Money. There’s always talk about ‘balance’ across the squad/cap but haven’t we now spent big on Mahoney and Kikau for next year too? When there’s no big dollar contracts due to end in 2022? I’m surprised TK hasn’t yet found a way to whinge that Dogs players from the future aren’t worth what we paid for them :-).

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
but perhaps moving forward, the money on Thompson is better spent on a partner for Burton (in fact, I have no doubt it is).
This 100%. As much as it sucks, he's no good to us if we're unable to score points because of inept halves. As much as i like the bloke and rate him as a player, for the good of the entire team we need to free up coin for a halfback. problem is there isnt any available and the ones that are aren't any better than what we have

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This 100%. As much as it sucks, he's no good to us if we're unable to score points because of inept halves. As much as i like the bloke and rate him as a player, for the good of the entire team we need to free up coin for a halfback. problem is there isnt any available and the ones that are aren't any better than what we have
There is no one available right now but we should be prepared in case anyone comes on the market.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
How would Thompson leaving only free up 400k? If that was all it would free up, then Gus wouldn't be pursuing it.

Unless another club in the NRL or ESL pays the majority of his contract, he'll stay with us because it's not worth moving him on for the reasons you mentioned.. But it's possible that a club like the Tigers or St. Helens pay most of his contract. If that happens, then Gus will probably move him on.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
D. I have been thinking this myself. You summation is spot on and you said it well. Now that we have viable alternatives(Max King)showed more in 20 mins than Thomson. Even Tevita plays front row. I think Thompson will find himself in Reggies if he doesnt pull his finger out. Problem with that we have invested around 700k and no one will take him off our hands.
You are right about King, could he become our Lion King ? :tearsofjoy:
TPJs size and lateral defence will push him into the front row sooner rather than later !!!
It's wrong / unfair to the better preforming players to keep Thompson if he doesn't aim up !!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There is no one available right now but we should be prepared in case anyone comes on the market.
Fark me, we are farkin prepared there are 9 farkin players (10 if Hetherington doesn't exercise his Player Option) off contract this year. And FFS we only have 5 players (including Burton's Player Option) currently signed for 2024. How much farkin Cap space do we need?

Always a Bulldog

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fark me, we are farkin prepared there are 9 farkin players (10 if Hetherington doesn't exercise his Player Option) off contract this year. And FFS we only have 5 players (including Burton's Player Option) currently signed for 2024. How much farkin Cap space do we need?

Always a Bulldog
Obviously management thinks we need more space if they fucked off Cotric.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If he plays lock I believe his attack will improve, but his defence doesn't convince me.
Agree. His defence has always looked quite ineffective to me, and it was evident again on Monday night. He doesn't stop the opposition dead in their tracks by driving his shoulder in, but rather grabs and pulls them down after they have crossed the advantage line... eg. Safiti the other night

I don't know if he has shoulder problems or just a lack of technique but for the money we are paying him we want the complete package firing up every week

I still hope that he turns into the player that we all think he can be, but he needs to start showing it from next week

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cleary re signed with penrith long term, Reynolds literally not even 1 game in to a 4 year deal, Jahrome Hughes looking for a 6 year deal at either Storm or Dolphins, DCE is a 'sea eagle for life', Keary injury prone (and a 6) and on contract, Sam Walker not being released any time soon, Fogarty not even 1 game in to his Raiders contract, SJ not even 1 game in to his deal with the Warriors, Mitchell Moses re signed until 2024

Then whats left? Sexton whos played 5 NRL games, Hunt who wont be getting a release as he's St Merge's best player, Dearden whos shit, Brooks whos shit, Hynes/Trindall?, Clifford whos not in the top 20 NRL halves and only recently joined Newcastle. Theres not much doing. we missed the boat on Reynolds, Hynes, SJ, even Fogarty. Any half that comes on the market now will be from an underachieving club and not worth the money

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
isn't the cap also going to be raised? i'm with you and also don't understand this 'we need cap space' argument

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

How would Thompson leaving only free up 400k? If that was all it would free up, then Gus wouldn't be pursuing it.

Unless another club in the NRL or ESL pays the majority of his contract, he'll stay with us because it's not worth moving him on for the reasons you mentioned.. But it's possible that a club like the Tigers or St. Helens pay most of his contract. If that happens, then Gus will probably move him on.
For a starter he's not on $800k in the Cap so we can't save $800k, which is a bullshit number that includes a number of non Cap amounts. We have already paid his transfer fee to St Helens, so we aren't getting that back and no other club is going to pay it. We have already paid his and his partners relocation costs, so we aren't getting that back either. We will get his car back, but he'll surely demand a replacement. The only question left is how much will we have to pay someone to take him? Does anything truly think that $100k will be enough, they are farkin dreaming. Maybe $200k might if they are desperate, but it could be $250k.

The fact is you don't get much of a 1/2 for $400k, even $500k, even if one did exist that was also available and wanted to move to us. $1m might get it done, but who is worth $1m that is available, this year, next year, the year after?

Always a Bulldog

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
even if one did exist that was also available and wanted to move to us. $1m might get it done, but who is worth $1m that is available, this year, next year, the year after?
nobody. we either have to continue to try and make averillo work/rush BBO into grade/look overseas - but then again is there any decent halves in ESL worth bringing over?