Opinion Will AFB see out his 4 year Sharks deal? Yes or No??

Will AFB see out his 4 year sharks deal?

• yes

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • no

Votes: 44 72.1%

• Total voters

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
1. Yeah, Gus wanted it out there for a very good reason - to take the heat off himself when the news broke another key target had signed somewhere else.

2. An old habit… and it was a lot of fun. But name one I’ve started lately. Deflecting again.

3. just lol. AFB is one of the elite props in the game and you’re equating it to picking up the last tube at Bunnings.

4. I’m fine. I’m just pointing out that if you had better arguments, you wouldn’t have to resort to calling people clowns all the day. And pointing out holes in someone’s logic (which I only did after you once again insulted a group of forum members by calling us clowns) is not insulting someone. It’s addressing your arguments, not attacking you personally. If you don’t like people criticising your arguments and the logic behind them, I’d suggest you try coming up with better arguments.
1) Again you’re speculating trying to hold the line on a point you’ll never be able to prove, not to mention Weidler broke ‘Dogs are Out’ well before the Sharks signing news came out. Why does Gus need ‘heat taken off him’ and from whom? Three disgruntled TK posters? I can only imagine the sleep he’s losing…

2) Deflecting? Huh? Nevermind…

3) And there’s a reason we said ‘no thanks’. You lot assumed character. It could’ve been salary - or terms the Warriors wanted we didn’t agree with it could’ve been anything. So what if the Sharks were willing to meet those terms - they may well end up with buyers remorse like they will signing Finucane for 4 years at this stage of his career. Busted with 2 years left.

4) Er, OK. So tender and so righteous simultaneously. How quaint :-).

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
1) Again you’re speculating trying to hold the line on a point you’ll never be able to prove, not to mention Weidler broke ‘Dogs are Out’ well before the Sharks signing news came out. Why does Gus need ‘heat taken off him’ and from whom? Three disgruntled TK posters? I can only imagine the sleep he’s losing…

2) Deflecting? Huh? Nevermind…

3) And there’s a reason we said ‘no thanks’. You lot assumed character. It could’ve been salary - or terms the Warriors wanted we didn’t agree with it could’ve been anything. So what if the Sharks were willing to meet those terms - they may well end up with buyers remorse like they will signing Finucane for 4 years at this stage of his career. Busted with 2 years left.

4) Er, OK. So tender and so righteous simultaneously. How quaint :-).
1) I’m speculating? Thanks for pointing that out. And what exactly are you doing? For the millionth time, it’s a forum designed for sharing opinions and speculation. If it was solely a platform for stating facts, there’d be nothing to debate on here. He needs heat taken off him because he is constantly in the media courting players and every time he misses one, the media turns up the heat. By issuing a statement through his mouthpiece that we aren’t pursuing it, he creates the illusion that he is the one in control of the situation. And his supporters buy into the narrative without question.

2) Yes. Deflecting. It’s what you spend 99 per cent of your time on this forum doing.

3) Yeah, they might end up with buyer’s remorse. Or they might end up with the missing piece of the puzzle to win them a premiership. Wouldn’t we look silly then?

4) You can claim me pointing out the fact you constantly resort to insulting other people as a deflective tool makes me “tender” as many times as you want. Won’t make it any more true.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
1) I’m speculating? Thanks for pointing that out. And what exactly are you doing? For the millionth time, it’s a forum designed for sharing opinions and speculation. If it was solely a platform for stating facts, there’d be nothing to debate on here. He needs heat taken off him because he is constantly in the media courting players and every time he misses one, the media turns up the heat. By issuing a statement through his mouthpiece that we aren’t pursuing it, he creates the illusion that he is the one in control of the situation. And his supporters buy into the narrative without question.

2) Yes. Deflecting. It’s what you spend 99 per cent of your time on this forum doing.

3) Yeah, they might end up with buyer’s remorse. Or they might end up with the missing piece of the puzzle to win them a premiership. Wouldn’t we look silly then?

4) You can claim me pointing out the fact you constantly resort to insulting other people as a deflective tool makes me “tender” as many times as you want. Won’t make it any more true.
1) Nope
2) Nope
3) Nope
4) Nope

0/4 - Sitting pretty with @04 Dreaming :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think 04 is the only one who’s dreaming, given that reply.
Good-o. Now if you and your high horse wouldn’t mind moving on, I’m sure there’s somewhere else you can glue your hands to the road. Thanks :-).

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
That’s where we differ. I don’t think we can afford to wai
T for posters who “want to come here”. Not many posters are going to want to come here at the moment, we aren’t producing the results. Most of the top players who don’t want to come here seem to be sold on old Penrith connections with Ciraldo, and even Barrett, not on Gus.

it’s not Gus’s job to sit back and wait for players who want to come here. It’s his job to make players want to come here by selling the club and its vision.

I don’t think AFB went to Nulla because of money. He could have commanded just as much, or even more elsewhere.

Agree with you about Ciraldo. But his job isn’t easy if we don’t have dominant props.

Anyway, agree to disagree, fam. I respect your opinion, but personally, I’m not sold on Gus.
Gus’s job is to attract players his job is to make the club winners . If we are winning and developing juniors we don’t need to pay overs for every single elite player. He isn’t in a min now mentality, this club had a losing mentality since 07. Do you remember Dessie’s last 6 months , a win now coach that had full control of the football program and lest with mbye as the only player coming through his system. So as much as you want to give the current regime shit I think everyone’s frustration started many yrs ago and the current is coping it. Gus is the guy to run the show , we don’t have experience anywhere to get us out of this apart from Gus.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Yeah, Gus wanted it out there for a very good reason - to take the heat off himself when the news broke another key target had signed somewhere else.

2. An old habit… and it was a lot of fun. But name one I’ve started lately. Deflecting again.

3. just lol. AFB is one of the elite props in the game and you’re equating it to picking up the last tube at Bunnings.

4. I’m fine. I’m just pointing out that if you had better arguments, you wouldn’t have to resort to calling people clowns all the day. And pointing out holes in someone’s logic (which I only did after you once again insulted a group of forum members by calling us clowns) is not insulting someone. It’s addressing your arguments, not attacking you personally. If you don’t like people criticising your arguments and the logic behind them, I’d suggest you try coming up with better arguments.

1. We were chasing AFB until the moment he and his manager said No. Having a look at Tyran Smith's clients I can see why a No response came up very quickly. You can tell with the photos of that meeting didn't look comfortable. It happens with all our misses that we somehow weren't really interested in the first place. Yeah Right.

2. @Flanagun In the time I've been here never seen you troll. You just don't follow the script and you see things from a different perspective.

3. Even if we got AFB for 2-years that's enough to get us into the Top 8. People say we are here for the long game and the like. Didn't we just ditch a 19yo after one season of NRL and sign a whole batch of players with the exception of Critta all un-wanted by their previous clubs for 2yr deals and in the case of Tracey a 3yr deal. Curran and Tracey were freely offloaded so their former clubs could sign the players we actually needed. Hutchinson didn't make the Roosters final 17 in the semi final v Melbourne where they struggled to get 17 fit players to take the field. Roosters only have 26 on their current Top 30 roster. They chose Docker Clay over Turpin.

4. You, me and a couple of others cop personal insults every single day. They get upset when we don't fire back with the insults. I don't even reply to those who send out the abuse.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope we make the Top 8. We went backwards in 2023. We can't always blame the players as many who leave us end up performing better. We had the roster in 2023 to make the 8 in the end we did well to avoid the spoon. We had the worst defence. We had the worst points difference. Our losses bar two were comfortable losses to massacres. Some of the wins we had were from opposition dropping last minute elementary kicks we score in the next set (Cowboys & Titans) or missed kicks (Dolphins). Souths was an easy win but had to hold on for a final set as we nearly let them back. Win over Saints was from Averillo cutting loose and Waddell scoring from a chip & chase. Tigers up by 20 and in the space of 5mins we lead by 4 with 10 to go. Storm was the one game where it was no heart attack material.

Averillo and Waddell 2 of our 3 best from 2023 both got cut. Averillo has been a junior all through the systems, messed around by Barrett with his position and just when he was about to show he's the real deal still only 23 he's been cut.

Alamoti a boom junior all the way through cut before he turns 20. Surely come can understand why despite all the self promotion about "building the juniors" must be building on top as the juniors been there for decades upon decades we can't trust whether the next batch of juniors will be trusted upon or flicked like Alamoti was.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. We were chasing AFB until the moment he and his manager said No. Having a look at Tyran Smith's clients I can see why a No response came up very quickly. You can tell with the photos of that meeting didn't look comfortable. It happens with all our misses that we somehow weren't really interested in the first place. Yeah Right.

2. @Flanagun In the time I've been here never seen you troll. You just don't follow the script and you see things from a different perspective.

3. Even if we got AFB for 2-years that's enough to get us into the Top 8. People say we are here for the long game and the like. Didn't we just ditch a 19yo after one season of NRL and sign a whole batch of players with the exception of Critta all un-wanted by their previous clubs for 2yr deals and in the case of Tracey a 3yr deal. Curran and Tracey were freely offloaded so their former clubs could sign the players we actually needed. Hutchinson didn't make the Roosters final 17 in the semi final v Melbourne where they struggled to get 17 fit players to take the field. Roosters only have 26 on their current Top 30 roster. They chose Docker Clay over Turpin.

4. You, me and a couple of others cop personal insults every single day. They get upset when we don't fire back with the insults. I don't even reply to those who send out the abuse.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope we make the Top 8. We went backwards in 2023. We can't always blame the players as many who leave us end up performing better. We had the roster in 2023 to make the 8 in the end we did well to avoid the spoon. We had the worst defence. We had the worst points difference. Our losses bar two were comfortable losses to massacres. Some of the wins we had were from opposition dropping last minute elementary kicks we score in the next set (Cowboys & Titans) or missed kicks (Dolphins). Souths was an easy win but had to hold on for a final set as we nearly let them back. Win over Saints was from Averillo cutting loose and Waddell scoring from a chip & chase. Tigers up by 20 and in the space of 5mins we lead by 4 with 10 to go. Storm was the one game where it was no heart attack material.

Averillo and Waddell 2 of our 3 best from 2023 both got cut. Averillo has been a junior all through the systems, messed around by Barrett with his position and just when he was about to show he's the real deal still only 23 he's been cut.

Alamoti a boom junior all the way through cut before he turns 20. Surely come can understand why despite all the self promotion about "building the juniors" must be building on top as the juniors been there for decades upon decades we can't trust whether the next batch of juniors will be trusted upon or flicked like Alamoti was.
lol yeah AFB said no to us can you prove your claim??
I’ll wait.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Gus’s job is to attract players his job is to make the club winners . If we are winning and developing juniors we don’t need to pay overs for every single elite player. He isn’t in a min now mentality, this club had a losing mentality since 07. Do you remember Dessie’s last 6 months , a win now coach that had full control of the football program and lest with mbye as the only player coming through his system. So as much as you want to give the current regime shit I think everyone’s frustration started many yrs ago and the current is coping it. Gus is the guy to run the show , we don’t have experience anywhere to get us out of this apart from Gus.
Ok, we are starting to go around in circles, so this will be my last comment for now. We have missed finals for six years running. Gus should have a win now mentality and nothing less should be acceptable to the fan base. Des didn’t fuck us because he had a win now mentality. He fucked us because he had a win now at the expense of later mentality and decided to cripple the club for years by back ending contracts. Paying overs for a few gun forwards who will help us become competitive in the short term will do nothing to harm our chances of success in the long term, as long as we don’t fall into the same trap of back ending contracts - which I believe is not allowed these days, anyway.

Explain to me how paying overs for a few gun forwards for two, three, or even four years will hurt the development of a next gen squad of players who won’t be ready for two, three or four years, themselves? It won’t. There’s no way it can…. In fact, it will help them, because forward leaders will help our young forwards develop. No matter how talented a young player is, it is always easier to make the transition into first grade and perform at your best when a team is strong and a winning culture has been developed.

Look at the tigers. When Tedesco and Brooks came up, they were both touted as future stars of the game, but both struggled to reach their potential because their club was struggling. Tedesco went to the Roosters and became the best fullback in the game. Brooks stayed and never reached his potential.

I think it is essential that we develop a winning culture for these young kids to inherit. If we don’t, they will either struggle to reach their potential with us, or they will end up reaching it with some other club that is more successful.

Gus had a win now philosophy at Penrith. The gun Penrith players of today didn’t just come up and start dominating the comp by themselves. They had experienced and quality players in key positions to help develop them and show them the ropes.

No administrator worth a damn has a lose now, win later mentality. Good administrators try to build sustainable success, absolutely. But they also try to bring success to a club as quickly as possible because the quicker you establish a winning culture, the quicker your young talent will start to thrive. If we are going out and spend
Ing 6-7,000,000 k on a centre, Gus should have no problem paying overs for a prop, because the front row is the area we are thinnest in for talent, and no team is going to win many footy games without go forward.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Good-o. Now if you and your high horse wouldn’t mind moving on, I’m sure there’s somewhere else you can glue your hands to the road. Thanks :-).
Deliberately engage other members by talking shit about them and then run away with your tail between your legs when you lose the argument. Typical lol

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, we are starting to go around in circles, so this will be my last comment for now. We have missed finals for six years running. Gus should have a win now mentality and nothing less should be acceptable to the fan base. Des didn’t fuck us because he had a win now mentality. He fucked us because he had a win now at the expense of later mentality and decided to cripple the club for years by back ending contracts. Paying overs for a few gun forwards who will help us become competitive in the short term will do nothing to harm our chances of success in the long term, as long as we don’t fall into the same trap of back ending contracts - which I believe is not allowed these days, anyway.

Explain to me how paying overs for a few gun forwards for two, three, or even four years will hurt the development of a next gen squad of players who won’t be ready for two, three or four years, themselves? It won’t. There’s no way it can…. In fact, it will help them, because forward leaders will help our young forwards develop. No matter how talented a young player is, it is always easier to make the transition into first grade and perform at your best when a team is strong and a winning culture has been developed.

Look at the tigers. When Tedesco and Brooks came up, they were both touted as future stars of the game, but both struggled to reach their potential because their club was struggling. Tedesco went to the Roosters and became the best fullback in the game. Brooks stayed and never reached his potential.

I think it is essential that we develop a winning culture for these young kids to inherit. If we don’t, they will either struggle to reach their potential with us, or they will end up reaching it with some other club that is more successful.

Gus had a win now philosophy at Penrith. The gun Penrith players of today didn’t just come up and start dominating the comp by themselves. They had experienced and quality players in key positions to help develop them and show them the ropes.

No administrator worth a damn has a lose now, win later mentality. Good administrators try to build sustainable success, absolutely. But they also try to bring success to a club as quickly as possible because the quicker you establish a winning culture, the quicker your young talent will start to thrive. If we are going out and spend
Ing 6-7,000,000 k on a centre, Gus should have no problem paying overs for a prop, because the front row is the area we are thinnest in for talent, and no team is going to win many footy games without go forward.
@Flanagun Critta on more than 700k over 800k. Gus has attempted to sign Hunt, Tino (+ pub), Haas (+ mentor), AFB, Luai, D Saifiti. He's gone for the win now just hasn't come off and lack of patience in our juniors like Alamoti seen the approach of signing cast offs from other clubs. Penrith saw the writing on the wall in 2018. Cleary said on his return the club was dysfunctional. He ripped up the 5yr plan. He developed his own culture and mentality.

Canterbury made the semis 5 out of 6 years under Hasler. The 2 mistakes made with Hasler. Re-signing him for 2018 and sacking him for 2018. Hasler had us competitive every year and nearly every game.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’d want to have said no to us, because if we said no to him we are straight up delusional.
@Flanagun he said no we were favourites all along for him why would we pull the pin? We missed out.

Luai confirmed in his press conference at how be broke the news to Ciraldo at him choosing Tigers over Bulldogs.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

You’re not wrong in what you are saying and 99% will agree but the facts are we don’t know what happened in the negotiations.
Maybe AFB wanted to come but warriors wanted kikau and Preston and $$$$ transfer fee, bottom line is we don’t know.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@Flanagun he said no we were favourites all along for him why would we pull the pin? We missed out.

Luai confirmed in his press conference at how be broke the news to Ciraldo at him choosing Tigers over Bulldogs.
Why do you tag @Flanagun when you reply to him?
And why don’t you reply to anyone else who asked you the question?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You’re not wrong in what you are saying and 99% will agree but the facts are we don’t know what happened in the negotiations.
Maybe AFB wanted to come but warriors wanted kikau and Preston and $$$$ transfer fee, bottom line is we don’t know.
Did the warriors get a player from Cronulla? They’d already agreed to release him for 2025… don’t think they were in a position to demand anything, fam.

But yes… it’s true that we don’t know the inner workings of the negotiations… I do think if you keep missing targets it gets to a point where people have to stop just dismissing it as an it wasn’t to be scenario. Let’s see how we go with May. If we get him, I’ll be happy.

thank you for at least acknowledging my point.