Why the Panthers are so good

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This domination started in 2020, when the 6 again rule started.
When this rule was implemented, there was a major shift in playing styles. Every team changed the way they played except the Panthers.
The Panthers major focus was on defense. There priority and empire was built on defense.
No question, teams thought with the new rule that they had to put all there focus on attack and take risk after risk, spread the ball and try and score off almost every set.
Remember when you watched the 9s and when you had the ball there was pressure on you to score because of the nature of the game? It seems like teams applied this mentality to the NRL because of the 6 again rule.

Teams put so much energy and focus on there attack that there energy and attention to detail on defense suffered.
Even teams like the Storm who built there dynasties on defense changed there style and came back to the pack.
I think a lot of the teams coaching and analytics department have a lot to answer for. They simply got it wrong.
As long as teams continue this approach, the Panthers will continue to dominate.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Their forward pack is far superior plus they have enough enough strike and creativity in the halves. But it all starts with their pack who dominate field position and momentum

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Penriff play footy the way it has always needed to be played, and will always need to be played so long as it based on a tackle followed by a play the ball. Fitness and toughness. They showed it tonight, I don't think Parra managed to do a set worth more than 35m all game. It was getting so hard in the middle for the forwards that Paulo, the biggest guy on the ground, started passing it 15m to the edges rather than run the ball up.

If Ciraldo can bring that across to Belmore, blokes like JAC, Jake, Burto, and Kiraz will do their stuff on the back of it and we will make the 8.

Last edited:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Their university of Rugby League must be good in the individual touch given to every player so they are trained robots, hope Gus can put together a pathways plan for the juniors before he goes on his next assignment.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Always been a tough uncompromising junior competition..now they have skill and ability..
And a big base of young kids who want to play rugby league. Other areas have more kids wanting to play soccer; or should I say, have mums who don't want their little boys getting monstered in junior rugby league games.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And a big base of young kids who want to play rugby league. Other areas have more kids wanting to play soccer; or should I say, have mums who don't want their little boys getting monstered in junior rugby league games.
Yes true Chris..to be honest I think I’m with the mums now..

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They have a great Junior base & are nurturing them to be the next superstars.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
What Penriff are doing is same as Storm from a few years ago. Very precise in game plan and execution.

And standards - any tackle in the middle - 3+ guys in. Kick chase, full line. Defending the line, if someone pops the line, guys on either side cover the gap. Even little things - if 3 guys in the tackle and one guy on the ground - the other two go to marker every time. Then those markers stop any go forward from dummy half. Add in they have the refs on side for how long to take to get off them and you get no momentum playing them.

And some serious quality in key positions. To'o helps set starts. Martin and Yeo provide 80min of defensive energy and offer options in the middle and on the fringe. Koroisua creates threat out of dummy half. This gives the rest of the team space to do their thing in attack. And give Cleary enough time, he takes right options.

How do you beat them? Simple, that level of execution requires legs. You tire them out then hassle Cleary. So u have to be fitter and more disciplined than them to beat them. And atm - thats tough.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Penriff play footy the way it has always needed to be played, and will always need to be played to long as it based on a tackle followed by a play the ball. Fitness and toughness. They showed it tonight, I don't think Parra managed to do a set worth more than 35m all game. It was getting so hard in the middle for the forwards that Paulo, the biggest guy on the ground, started passing it 15m to the edges rather than run the ball up.

If Ciraldo can bring that across to Belmore, blokes like JAC, Jake, Burto, and Kiraz will do their stuff on the back of it and we will make the 8.
You think he can get our middles and edges to do the same work as Penrith's? Big ask. We need a bit more roster changes and player improvements yet to be that competitive but yes that's what is needed.

Reactions: TAS