News Why Phil Gould knocked back Canterbury Bulldogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Exactly. If we were to get a decent hooker & couple of quality props we can make the 8 based on the signing we already have for next year, barring injuries. Astute signings is the key.
but with what's off contract it's very possible we end up with egg on our faces (again). The best case scenario signing off contract players isn't good enough to get us into the 8 (no good hooker's off contract). At this stage it's Brandon Smith or bust. There are also no good long term prop options (we already missed out on all of them) and the "short term" options are going to want more years than we'd ideally want to give them. When we signed JAC and Burton, that's when you do most of your best business, there's little to nothing available this time of year. Now we're relying on contracted options to pop up.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with all of that but who is looking after the junior development and pathways now? Are they just staying stagnant waiting for the new football manager? All this adds to the timeframe.

We need to grow the junior base so that we aren’t relying on only one of two players to kick on and that’s our problem at the minute. Juniors don’t kick on for so many reasons so the bigger the pool we have the more our chances of success increase.

The club just has to sort its shit out get a Football Manager in place ASAP.
Yeah that's a good question. I assume it would be a committee of Sharp, Baz, Potter and a few of the junior coaches with Warburton involved with negotiations.

They've been trying to get a football manager all year with Parr and Gus as targets. But you're right, it's hard to recruit when one vital piece of the puzzle and key position remains vacant.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
an opinion piece with no sources, no quotes, just another opportunity to put the boot in

Fake News Ltd
I was going to ask the question of whether this was written by the same crew that started the rumor that we're chasing Gould in the first lace. Because that article was pure speculation and free of quotes too.

Thank Christ, Gould is possibly the biggest myth in Rugby League history and definitely the biggest flog.
I agree. Allow anyone with half a brain to walk into an organization where they've got a few huge advantages to exploit and they'll do ok. For Penrith their issues were that they'd messed up their cap and they were short of cash after having done some upgrades on their facilities if the stuff I've read has any truth.

So the big 5 year plan was to let the salary cap issues get sorted over time by emphasizing their huge junior base be the way out of the misery there. When numerous other clubs have reduced spending on juniors it was the obvious path out for them. On the financial side of things it was just a matter of renegotiating the repayment schedule and letting the improvements to their leagues club pay for themselves to get the clubs finances back in order.

Hardly rocket science for them to have taken the most obvious and safe steps to recovery. I'm not sure why Gould gets so much Kudos for being a small part of that. In reality I think he was mostly just a mouthpiece.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Phil Gould knocked back the Bulldogs because he felt that he couldn’t fix the club in only three years.

He’s also fairly happy working with the Warriors.

But it’s the first point that should be treated with interest – and a dose of grim reality – by Bulldogs fans.

Much like the Sharks making a play for Craig Bellamy to be their GM of football, you can’t knock Canterbury management for pitching to Gould to take over the entire football department.

Coach Trent Barrett could see the upside in having Gould helping to pull-in managers, sign players and align the pathways programs.

Yes, Gould ultimately knocked Canterbury back. But so what?

It happens.

The stealth-like pitch at least indicates the club isn’t satisfied with its four wins in the past 16 months and is prepared to look under every rock to fix it.

Striving for a higher standard, a level of expertise and support for incoming Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon is also why Cronulla won’t close the door on Bellamy coming to the club in 2023 – even if he re-signs with the Storm for next season, as the entire rugby league world expects.

Where the Dogs stuffed up is not so much the offer to Gould, but the time frame. And the irony is, the Bulldogs know it.

Three years isn’t long enough to turn a footy club around. Sure, you can make a dent, but cleaning up a roster can take years.

The Dragons, Broncos, Wests Tigers, Knights and Titans, to name just a few, still aren’t settled after more than five years of roster mismanagement.

You wonder what Gould would’ve said if the Dogs had offered him an open-ended contract?

We’ll never know.

Gould would be aware of the same home truths that Dogs management have been impressing on members in recent weeks.

The narrative has been that the Dogs hierarchy want wins just as badly and as quickly as the fans do.

The signing of Matt Burton, Brent Naden and Josh Addo-Carr will help that cause.

But the Bulldogs realise that those three players alone won’t return long-term success for a club that wants to play finals football every year.

There’ll be no shortcuts, that’s what is being said – even though the possible recruitment of a 30-year-old Shaun Johnson, on the back of a major Achilles injury, seems exactly that.

Tough conversations will be had at the Dogs during a football committee meeting on Tuesday.

That’s where Johnson – and issues such as how to sign Storm hooker Brandon Smith for 2023 – will be discussed.

One tough discussion has already been had. The possible release of Dallin Watene-Zelezniak – the club’s best player this year – to the Wests Tigers is part of the conversation that points to how much work the Dogs still need to do.

Like the play for Gould, at least they’re working on a solution.

‘DWZ’ is on an impossible-to-believe contract worth around $880,000.

That’s a salary worth more than what representative players Jack Wighton and Jake Trbojevic are earning and Watene-Zelezniak has played six games at fullback and three on the wing this season.

He sure is one lucky guy.

The fact Canterbury are prepared to wear half of his salary on their cap next year is another telltale sign to fans that the Dogs are prepared to take the longest road to the top.

Gould might be right though – it could take longer than three years.

So it takes 3 yrs so what ,we have to lay the foundations

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It might take 5 years to fix things like junior pathways but it shouldn’t take that long to fix this team. It will take smart recruitment and an eye for talent, I don’t feel people in our recruitment team have that.

If it does players like Burton and JAC will come then leave.
I believe Addo Carr wasn’t signed just for his freakish talents. It was the impact he will have on the young indigenous players that will want to follow his lead. He’s a magnet to the young indigenous talent and a weapon marketing tool.

Last edited:

longy0303

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was going to ask the question of whether this was written by the same crew that started the rumor that we're chasing Gould in the first lace. Because that article was pure speculation and free of quotes too.

I agree. Allow anyone with half a brain to walk into an organization where they've got a few huge advantages to exploit and they'll do ok. For Penrith their issues were that they'd messed up their cap and they were short of cash after having done some upgrades on their facilities if the stuff I've read has any truth.

So the big 5 year plan was to let the salary cap issues get sorted over time by emphasizing their huge junior base be the way out of the misery there. When numerous other clubs have reduced spending on juniors it was the obvious path out for them. On the financial side of things it was just a matter of renegotiating the repayment schedule and letting the improvements to their leagues club pay for themselves to get the clubs finances back in order.

Hardly rocket science for them to have taken the most obvious and safe steps to recovery. I'm not sure why Gould gets so much Kudos for being a small part of that. In reality I think he was mostly just a mouthpiece.
If it’s so easy to do. Why aren’t all the clubs doing it. Why aren’t you doing? Very big difference between knowing and doing.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gould is not the Oracle of life.. hopefully we prove him and other doubters very wrong.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im still crying about DWZ getting paid that much , who ever organised his contract should be strung up ffs especially after we went through with Des.

Curash

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Phil has declined as behind the scenes we are a massive rabble.....

Took Penrith well over 5 years and the Dogs are kidding themselves if they think they are going to clean up the entire club in 3 years

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gould leaves panthers in 19...panthers become a force in 20. Gould gets credit... go get fucked
Why do you think they have To'o, Staines, Edwards, Luai, Burton, Cleary, Crichton, JFH, Martin, Leota, Leniu, etc. Gus wasn't the coach. You can't deny the Panthers have had some of the best players/talent come through during Gus' time there. The club was also in complete shambles financially before he arrived.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The media really love pushing the narrative that it will take ten years til we're competitive again. With the right signings we could be a top four team within two to three years. So I don't buy any of that shit.
So true. Throw in two excellent juniors who exceed expectations, and your there.!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read we offered him 700K a year. Would he knock back 900K or a MIL ? I very much doubt it. That would be more than he'd be getting from Channel Nine probably and more than from the Warriors. If he's willing to commit for 5 years for 700K a year then DO IT. It's not like it comes out of the player cap. We need change. We need Bellamy. If we can't get Bellamy then Gould is definitely the next best option. We're lucky he's already got some Dogs DNA as both a player and coach. He has to have a soft spot for the club, maybe not the Andersons but for the CLUB

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Why do you think they have To'o, Staines, Edwards, Luai, Burton, Cleary, Crichton, JFH, Martin, Leota, Leniu, etc. Gus wasn't the coach. You can't deny the Panthers have had some of the best players/talent come through during Gus' time there. The club was also in complete shambles financially before he arrived.
He arrived in 2011. He’s good at positioning himself to take credit for things and distances himself where there’s risk of being labelled a failure