Opinion Why o why? Do we look no different in attack

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
even the sharks trial will look better than the knights game.!! And come game 1, will look different again (as in much improved) !!
I think so Scoob. I think this trial was more of an experiment. We should get a better picture of where we are at next week. Its a work in progress at the moment. Like my knee.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was only a trial for now but our halves need to own it this year. We have provided them the potency with strike in the forwards and backs.
Baz said as much in the post game interview.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It doesn't look good. There is a lot of pressure on Burton, maybe this will free up whoever is playing half. IMO we will be better then last year because we will have some points in us. Mahoney will make a massive difference to the look of our team in 23. Out of all our options, I am most hopeful of developing BBO.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Biggest disappointment is the lack of creativity in attack, we look disjointed, just looked like last year.
BBO didn’t even look very good, maybe it’s the pressure

We got Gus and Hansen plus all the recruits I was expecting something different, who cares if we lose the trial but even something as basic as last tackle options as Trent said didn’t look any better.

I hate to be a negative critic but I think all dogs supporters are a little disappointed

Oh well it’s only the first trial of the year I guess we can say!
The options we have available in the halves are just not up to the task unfortunately.

You could have belemy and Johns coaching them and nothing would change.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Haha. People don't realise that he did 90% of the kicking even when Luai was in the halves so like you said he'll handle the kicking fine. I doubt there'll be much organisation and we'll rely on talent more than structure. Thankfully Burton can create something out of nothing. Which is why I think he'll get so many touches because no one else aside from Dufty in the spine can create anything and Baz will soon realise Burton needs to be on the ball on both sides as much as possible.
Baz isn't going to do that, he's got his way he wants us to play and he's going to stick with it even if it costs him his job.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Baz isn't going to do that, he's got his way he wants us to play and he's going to stick with it even if it costs him his job.
We'll see. If Baz has us continually running predictable and ineffective block plays each play, then it won't matter who is in the team. Hopefully common sense prevails and they give Burton the keys to roam on both sides and dominate the touches.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I think so. Watching Mahoney the other night I was impressed. He got the backline and the forwards moving forward.
Service from dh is average, his passes don’t hit their mark consistently
He cant find a long pass straight to the play makers its why the forwards have to feed the halves so we still have width in attack.
When he passes to forwards the defence know where it is going 95% of the time.
No variation the list goes on

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We'll see. If Baz has us continually running predictable and ineffective block plays each play, then it won't matter who is in the team. Hopefully common sense prevails and they give Burton the keys to roam on both sides and dominate the touches.
I wasn't worried last night, the intent in attack vs defence was extremely noticeable and I still think we used the game as more of a defensive drill rather than actually wanting to do anything all that constructive in attack. We literally did nothing in attack, even the Okunbor try was a nothing play. Quick play the ball, pass to Jake, Ava on his outside half arsed a decoy run after Jake's pass to Dufty, Dufty then doesn't even attempt to probe the defensive line and only throws the long ball when the defence opens up because it fell for a decoy from Schouup.

I'm starting to doubt myself though with all the carry on here, but then again i can accept we're a bottom 4 side right now while others think we're much more than that.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wasn't worried last night, the intent in attack vs defence was extremely noticeable and I still think we used the game as more of a defensive drill rather than actually wanting to do anything all that constructive in attack. We literally did nothing in attack, even the Okunbor try was a nothing play. Quick play the ball, pass to Jake, Ava on his outside half arsed a decoy run after Jake's pass to Dufty, Dufty then doesn't even attempt to probe the defensive line and only throws the long ball when the defence opens up because it fell for a decoy from Schouup.

I'm starting to doubt myself though with all the carry on here, but then again i can accept we're a bottom 4 side right now while others think we're much more than that.
But our attack has been a problem for some time so they should be focusing on it

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Our line speed was much better than last year. Most of the starters were definitely going through the motions in attack. Which you can kind of understand in a trial when they just want to get out of there injury free.. Bench players like King have much more to play for. I expect us to look scrappy for the first month of the season with so many new players and combinations. I'm just hope Baz doesn't make too many knee-jerk changes every week.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
But our attack has been a problem for some time so they should be focusing on it
It's a trial, what do you think we're going to accomplish in just a single match compared to months of training during preseason? We've beat teams like the Storm and Panthers in the past during trials and we all know how those seasons turned out.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a trial, what do you think we're going to accomplish in just a single match compared to months of training during preseason? We've beat teams like the Storm and Panthers in the past during trials and we all know how those seasons turned out.
1645519906749.gif

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We keeping bagging our halves but I’m starting to think the problem lies elsewhere. We have had 5 halves - 4 this year and Lewis from last that have all struggled to play consistently and direct the teams attack. Surely not all 5 are bad players? Is it the players or the coaching staff we need to bag? Wtf have they been doing in the off season? Wasn’t Baz a representative half? Where’s the transfer of knowledge. Where are the training skills and drills? i’m not seeing it.

Bulldogdoove

Waterboy
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Was at the game and looked as pedestrian as last year.

First time poster so be kind but love to hear thoughts.

Avo- same as last year. Yes he is a talent but looks like he couldn't organise a bingo game at the local PCYC. Just not one of his strengths.

Wakeham- timing is all over the place. Often gets in the way and crowds inside runners. Did it a couple of times with TPJ.

BBO- Tried hard, but there is a difference between being busy and effective.

Flanno- have tried to give him a chance but FFS. He is playing for his career and is 4 wide of the ruck. When did you ever see Baz stand that wide - is he genuinely listening to the coach or not?

So here is the sauce....

Thought JMK and Cook were both really good. JMK had some good individual darts but arguably Cook was better given he was working with 2nd stringers. Would it be a totally ridiculous idea that they bring JMK in at 7? He used to be a half, brother was a great half and at least he might have the beans to take on some leadership whilst we wait for the other children's testicles to drop and take on some leadership.

Jez is experienced, can pass and kick and can take some heat of Burton. Cook looks the goods, actually makes some yardages before he passes.

Couldn't be any worse than what we have had. Long post, sorry. Thoughts?

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Baz said our dominant half is burton he’s taking over most of the kicking duties and what not. So I dare say we will have to wait until sharks trial to see if we actually have improved or not