Opinion Why Gus signing an experienced half is almost a certain

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
if only Gus was on board when Adam Reynolds was looking for a new club, would have been perfect
We would have had to make a choice, Reynolds or Cheese due to cap restraints, at least with Pearce, he’s not going to cost us 900K and Knights will pay some freight allowing us to get both Pearce and Cheese. But who knows? I just want the Cheese news to be confirmed because 9 is the most important role in the modern game.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually think with the improvement in our squad next year and how good burton will be bbo will be able to develop nicely

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus will sort it, complete trust in him making this/us the doggs of war once again.!!

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo should battle with Dufty for the FB spot next year, still think Averillo should be given first shot at fullback, Dufty while he does have mounds of attacking talent shouldn't just be an automatic selection either.

Part of the reason we rebounded so heavily from 2008 to 2009 was the signing of Kimmorley who is also a flop at Origin level (Unless you're a QLD fan and absolutely loved the intercept pass he threw) but great at club level. Ben Roberts who was a rocks and diamonds player flourished in 2009 when Kimmorley was taking the reins. Now imagine Burton who has infinitely more talent than Roberts with an experienced half next to him. Problem is i doubt we're going to be able to get said experienced half.

What's even more odd is why Foran isn't injured lately, he's played more games for the Eagles than he ever has for us in a single season, the **** has played in 18 games for the Eagles WTF. He would've been good for Burton if he managed to actually stay on the damn field

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I dont think we get any more halves. Probably considers Burton to be the marquee half and will try and find the best partner for him out of Odo, Averillo and Flanagan.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Averillo should battle with Dufty for the FB spot next year, still think Averillo should be given first shot at fullback, Dufty while he does have mounds of attacking talent shouldn't just be an automatic selection either.

Part of the reason we rebounded so heavily from 2008 to 2009 was the signing of Kimmorley who is also a flop at Origin level (Unless you're a QLD fan and absolutely loved the intercept pass he threw) but great at club level. Ben Roberts who was a rocks and diamonds player flourished in 2009 when Kimmorley was taking the reins. Now imagine Burton who has infinitely more talent than Roberts with an experienced half next to him. Problem is i doubt we're going to be able to get said experienced half.

What's even more odd is why Foran isn't injured lately, he's played more games for the Eagles than he ever has for us in a single season, the **** has played in 18 games for the Eagles WTF. He would've been good for Burton if he managed to actually stay on the damn field
I think Foran has it easier at manly with players like dce and turbo in the side. He doesn't have to try and do everything himself.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Foran has it easier at manly with players like dce and turbo in the side. He doesn't have to try and do everything himself.
I still think it's odd that he literally had a gust of wind blow on him with us and he would break apart. All the tackles that brought him down looked very innocuous.

Sometimes i think we are cursed, Foran was very very good for us when he was on the field, the problem was he was never god damnit on the field for longer than a blink of an eye before crashing and burning

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I still think it's odd that he literally had a gust of wind blow on him with us and he would break apart. All the tackles that brought him down looked very innocuous.

Sometimes i think we are cursed, Foran was very very good for us when he was on the field, the problem was he was never god damnit on the field for longer than a blink of an eye before crashing and burning
He's on a modified training program at Manly, we probably just chucked all 30 blokes on the field/gym and they all trained the same lol. He covers less ground at Manly and does less work, with us he needed to be the dominant playmaker while at Manly he's basically 4th string behind DCE, Turbo and Schuster. He just sits on his edge and compliments the other 3 guys.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a half back and hooker to complete the roster.
Kyle Flannagan is done, hopefully his dad get a job as head coach somewhere.
1. Mitchel pearce
2. Luke Brooks
3. Ash Tayor

14. Averillo utility
Taylor please

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We would have had to make a choice, Reynolds or Cheese due to cap restraints, at least with Pearce, he’s not going to cost us 900K and Knights will pay some freight allowing us to get both Pearce and Cheese. But who knows? I just want the Cheese news to be confirmed because 9 is the most important role in the modern game.
Didn’t he just sign a 1 year deal with the knights why would they release him

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still takes the ball to the line wish we still had him

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now there’s talk he could ask 150-250k a year. Ffs dogs should be all over him
Has no offers for next year and seems keen to play on nothing to lose at that level

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Still takes the ball to the line wish we still had him
Not in the current side. Maybe in next years side. He was working a lot harder for us trying to make everything happen by himself, but it got him injured more. The sides hes been in since Manly he was expected to make the side better and guide the team around, now hes more a support role now hes back there. Not close to their marquee player now.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Find it hard to believe out of the thousands of league players in the nsw and qld system we can’t find one halfback who has potential …fuck me are they all just gym junkie forwards???

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Find it hard to believe out of the thousands of league players in the nsw and qld system we can’t find one halfback who has potential …fuck me are they all just gym junkie forwards???
Short answer = yes.

Long answer = the current progression through the juniors means the big, hard running guys dominate and the smaller, smarter, craftier players drop away. Weight limits combined with age is the answer but there is a lot of push back over that based on the misconception of racial discrimination.

Always a Bulldog