Opinion Why Gus signing an experienced half is almost a certain

KingBurton

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Gus has reinforced several times the importance of a young 6 and old 7. That almost garuntees Flanagan is on the outer and Pearce might get an early release. He did it with Soward at the Panthers securing an early release from Dragons, Peter Wallace and then Maloney. Maloney/Cleary was a masterstroke. While Laui was on the fringe of the top 17 he learnt. If Averillo and BBO learn from an experienced 7 the potential is enormous.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s essential, we do need a half with experience and able to control big moments. I’ve heard Pearce is not on the agenda. Not saying it’s 100%, just what I have heard from reliable info. Not sure who else could be obtained.

interesting comment on edge forwards. I’d say with TPJ that’s our only real lock as RFM is not reliable, Elliot is not up to it (I think they’d jump at an offer from another club now) Doorey/Topine are still young, and Jacko is now a middle. They may be looking for a good experienced edge in the mold of (but not) Frizell?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think it's as important as others think considering we'll add a lot more experience throughout the whole team next year. Especially if we somehow sign Cheese..

Burton is a good enough and smart enough player to lead the team around and BBO will be the perfect halves partner for him. I'd rather persist with those two than sign an over the hill Sleaze or anyone else.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who is the experienced half on the market though? Pearce will spend more time on the sidelines than playing so it’s pointless signing him and there’s only a Mole article lending any weight to there being truth behind it.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there someone from ESL we could bring over? - when the borders are open again.

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My guess is that we'll bring someone like Ryley Jacks from Storm. He doesn't inspire much excitement, but he could come in for cheap and provide some experience and relief beside Burton.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the club needs to do all it can to move on some contracted players that they have lost confidence in for any reason - Flanagan, Wakeham, Stimson for starters. Need to free up some salary cap and squad spots.
For next year i believe we are still short a quality first grade hardened middle forward - doesn't have to be a star just someone with size who takes the first run in a set, low maintenance no nonsense type.
I think Schoupp will end up a backrower

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need a half back and hooker to complete the roster.
Kyle Flannagan is done, hopefully his dad get a job as head coach somewhere.
1. Mitchel pearce
2. Luke Brooks
3. Ash Tayor

14. Averillo utility

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We had an opportunity to end Madge gig at the Tigers yesterday gifting Shane the job and moving his son on

But we shit the bed again
We have the opportunity in round 25 mate.

We will have Thompson hopefully back by then.